Natural Birth

Lurker needs to vent!

So DH and I took the Bradley Method classes, and we are dedicated to a natural, unmedicated birth! (I'm currently 36 weeks pregnant with our first!) I posted a picture of the 7 couples from my Bradley class on my facebook wall today, with a caption that said "Good luck to everyone on a natural, unmedicated birth!" This was a comment from this lady I don't really know (her kids are a few years younger than me): "There is NEVER a better way to spend money than on an epidural! Trust me." I am so annoyed right now, and I'm not sure how to respond (or if I should respond at all). I want to put her in her place without being a butt. Ha.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Lurker needs to vent!

• It's unfortunate she is being so negative, but honestly that is the way some people are about the subject.  I'm surprised you have made it to 36 weeks without hearing things like this.  

If I was going to respond I would probably same something like, "I'm glad you had positive birth experience.  Everyone should come away happy with their choices."   

• take her voice away for her and delete her comment!
    ~Welcome to the world, Presley Ann!! *8/16/11* 8 days late!
  • Loading the player...
  • Oh, I've definitely heard many comments like this since I've been pregnant and open about our plans, but I think it just annoyed me more than normal since it was on my fb wall. Not sure why, but maybe I'm just extra hormonal! ;) I like your response - although I am considering just deleting it since that's not the opinion I want anywhere on my profile!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagepsychjennp:
    Oh, I've definitely heard many comments like this since I've been pregnant and open about our plans, but I think it just annoyed me more than normal since it was on my fb wall. Not sure why, but maybe I'm just extra hormonal! ;) I like your response - although I am considering just deleting it since that's not the opinion I want anywhere on my profile!

Much better, just delete it!  You don't need that type of negativity around. 

• I agree with PP, just delete the comment. If she notices, hopefully she'll get the hint that she was rude. If she mentions it again, either tell her that her comment was rude and/or unnecessary, or block her.
    image AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • If you don't want to delete it you could say something like, "Glad you had a good experience! We're certain we'll be able to say the same thing about the money we spent on our Bradley class!"

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Most of the moms I have encountered view an epi/or and a scheduled c/s the way to do. I just keep my views on L&D to myself. Some people think I'm crazy, but I know what is best for me and what I want for my babies. That is all that really matters. Best thing to do is to ignore the comment.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • She probably thinks she was doing you a favor. Believe me, my mother spent about 6 months of my pregnancy trying to change my mind about a natural birth. "I've done it both ways and the epidural is so much better!" That was much more annoying than someone on Facebook I could just ignore or delete or push away with a non-commital comment.

Like anything in life, some people just feel very passionately about how they gave birth and think they need to impose that on other people.

Personally, I would probably either ignore or say one of the things pp mentioned along the lines of "glad you had a nice birth experience..."

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm sorry, but also not too surprised. I would probably just delete the comment.

Good luck! We just had our last Bradley class this week. I am a little sad they are over. 

imageimage
  • This being my 8th child people I know have pretty much given up on telling me how I should do things.  My mom and sister asked me the weirdest question though.  They wanted to know if I'm going to put this one on formula.  I've breastfed all of mine with very few problems but I think I'm the only woman in my family who ever breastfed.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • When I told my friend at work the Bradley class costs $350 she said "Dang an epidural is cheaper than that and covered by insurance!"  I didn't get ill though; we joke with each other all the time.  She's had 2 CS, loves the planning ahead of time, didn't breastfeed, etc.  I'm totally opposite.  But we're still friends.  She still supports my decisions in spite that she would never do the same thing herself. 

• imageconchgirl:
    take her voice away for her and delete her comment!

This definitely.  I do it to my mom all the time when she posts stupid things on my FB.  :P 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers BFP 02/04/2011;EDD 10/14/2011;Induced due to pre-e 09/07/2011;Jack born 09/08/2011 Image and video hosting by TinyPic image image
  • That is annoying. 

When I was 18 weeks and we announced the gender, I was asked by family if we were planning on having a natural birth. When I said yes, no meds, my then SIL laughed loudly, directly into my face.

I ended up having a birth augmented with Pit (not my original choice), but no pain meds. Her outburst still bothers me to this day. 

And the little cranky monster inside of me is annoyed that I can't show off my natural birth to her (or tell her how her comment made me feel) because she and my brother aren't married anymore.

And yes, I realize how unbelievably selfish that sounds. :/ 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"