3rd Trimester
Options

My poor fingers ... anyone else?

My hands and fingers have become a bit swollen over the past week.  The worse part though is that my hands feel really weak and my fingers are constantly tingling.  When I wake up in the morning I fingers all ache and it takes about an hour to close my right hand.  I called my Dr. and he said that was normal and to just drink more water.  I am serioulsy going to float away!!!  

Is this happening to anyone else?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: My poor fingers ... anyone else?

• Options
    Sounds like carpal tunnel.  Try some hand exercises to keep the blood flowing.
  • Options
    Yes!  I hate it so frickin much!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yes! I wake up every morning feeling like my fingers are going to fall off :( I can barely make a fist anymore or open a bottle. It's annoying and I can't wait for it to go away!
  • Options

Yeah, I have the same problem.  I'm getting numbness and tingling from CP, but the joint pain and tendons locking, and weakness is much worse.  The amount of water I'm drinking seems to have nothing to do with it for me, nor does it correlate to swelling my feet and ankles (my hands are really bad today, but the other typical swelling is almost non-existent).

The only thing that seems to help is alternately soaking my hands in warm water, and then cool.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I haven't had full feeling in my right hand for over a month now.  It is awful, I can barely hold  a pen or write my name.  My dr said that it will get alot better after delivery and should totally go back to normal within the first month.  I find that soaking them in cool water helps with the stiffness and tingling.
  • Options
    I feel your pain - no matter how much water I drink they feel that way. I can't wait to get my fingers and ankles back. :)
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Proud Mom to the ZooCrew - Jack 3 years old and Joey 21 months. 
    Excited and delighted to welcome the 3rd member of the ZooCrew in 2015! We can't wait to meet you Matthew Henry!
  • Options
    My hand started to feel weird while writing thank you notes this morning. It was not fun.
    imageimage
  • Options
    Same  problems. Every morining. My doc claims its normal so Im going to sick to that. You will think it'll be un-normal but what I do is just soak it in water,cold water. Its effects my wrist so bad. To a point were it dame near feels close to broken. Painful.
  • Options

Sounds exactly like carpal tunnel syndrome. I've got it and it really sucks. To help with my hands hurting in the morning I wear wrist braces at night- they really help. You can find them at Wal-Mart, Target, CVS, etc. or even online.

This the brace I bought (one for each hand):

https://www.amazon.com/Mueller-Wrist-Brace-splint-Black/dp/B000RZHPOM

I prefer these though (Better support, but twice the price)
    https://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=kT9&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&q=futuro+wrist+braces&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1024&bih=604&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=12561000152369498781&sa=X&ei=gqk9TumTIYjg0QGS46H6Aw&ved=0CH0Q8gIwBg

• Options
    Is it your whole hand or just half/certain fingers?  I ask because people always jump to carpal tunnel, when actually there are several different nerves that can be pinched in your shoulder or elbow.  I'm not saying it couldn't be CT, but try getting an arm and shoulder massage and see if that gives you any relief, too.
  • Options
    I have the same problem and it is annoying to say the least. I drop things all the time, fingers are always feeling prickly and numb.
  • Options
    Oh yes totally- i wake up in the morning and my hands are locked into fists and it hurts worse then anything ive ever felt.
    Usually i wrap my fingers around an ice cube til its numb then run them under hot water.....that usually makes it so i can at least open my hands ( with great difficultly and pain) if i deal with it long enough eventually it goes away.  The amount of water i drink does nothing for me. I've even tried propping myself up when i sleep at night- no help.

Yup you are not alone.....i just hope it goes away soon after delivery!!
    Army Wife1 BabyFruit Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I have this too and I agree that wearing the wrist braces at night helps a lot.  It won't help the first or second night, it's more of a cumulative thing...the more nights in a row you wear them the better the outcome during the subsequent days.  They keep me from bending my wrist up under my chin, or curling it around a pillow as I sleep.  My fingers are still a little numb, but at least I can open a bag now, and my handwriting isn't as horrible as it was last week.  I bought my braces at Target and they are the Futuro brand for women if that helps at all. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"