3rd Trimester

No more U/S?

I'm 28 weeks and at my appointment on Wednesday my doctor said that I wouldn't have any more ultrasounds before our baby is here. Are any of you getting any more U/S? How will they be able to measure how big he is if they don't? She measured my uterus on Wed, and said that everything is growing well. 

I'm not upset that I won't be getting any more but I thought I would get another closer to my due date just to make sure everything is good to go!

Also, my nurse called today and told me that my glucose test came back and everything looked great BUT in my blood work they found that I am anemic. SO now I have to start taking an Iron supplement. I've been taking my vitamins, just not every day like I should be. It's just so easy to forget.. so I guess I better get on that too. I only have 12 more weeks to get it on track.. and I kind of want to kick myself in the A$$ now because I feel like I haven't been taking care of myself like I should. Anyone else not take their prenatals religiously like we should have been? 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: No more U/S?

• My OB's practice does an US at 37 weeks to make sure the baby isn't too big for a vag delivery.  I on the other hand have been having growth checks due to a 2 vessel cord.

I remember to take my prenatals probably because there are other things that I take, and I split it up between AM and PM.  It's gotten so that I do it mindlessly and sometimes I do forget if I took something, lol.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Every doctor is different. It's not uncommon nit to have any more ultrasounds. My OB is also a high risk doc (MFM) and this pregnancy has been challenging to say the least. I also just was diagnosed as anemic but need daily iron IV infusions. I also wasn't taking prenatals religiously, mainly due to the other complications I've been having. However, for the past two weeks, I've been good and will continue because I just want these two babies to be ok. Good luck with everything and make sure to up your fiber. I heard the iron supplements can be brutal.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Josiah James

Naomi Rose

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I think we get one more at 37 weeks if I remember right. That is a long time (to me) to go until delivery without at least a little peak, but every doctor (and insurance situation) is different.

Make sure to up your fiber consumption with that Iron Supplement. I am told that those can make you even more constipated if you weren't already. That is what I've heard, but definitely check with your doctor.

Also, beans! Beans are fiber + iron. Good luck!
  • I've only had one u/s with each pregnancy, around 18 weeks, for anatomy sake.  They can get as good an idea of how baby's growing by measuring fundal height with a tape measure. 

As far as anemia goes, it's probably not due to you not taking prenatals religiously.  Anemia in the third trimester is very common.  Iron is one thing your body will deplete you of in order to make sure the baby gets enough.  Just remember to take your supplements and vitamins from here on out and you'll be fine.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers >Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers
  • Oh great. Constipation! lol. Thanks Ladies! 

So should I get some fiber one bars? What else has fiber? We eat green beans at almost every meal. And broccoli once a week..

• I get u/s every two weeks, but that's b/c my ob is worried about how small my LO is measuring.....as for the prenatals, still get so sick from taking them. I started taking Flinstone vitamins but my gag is just too much. I am worried that b/c my body hasn't allowed me to keep down either my reg. pregnantal or the Flinstone vitamin that I've harmed my LO and that's why she's so small. But I've done the best I can do, I take my iron pill and try to eat healthy. But still, as a mom (to be) I can't help but feel like I'm at fault for my LO's growth issues :/
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagemteston:

Oh great. Constipation! lol. Thanks Ladies! 

So should I get some fiber one bars? What else has fiber? We eat green beans at almost every meal. And broccoli once a week..

Here you go! This has been really helpful for me for meal planning and variety. Happy eating!

Legumes, nuts & seedsServing sizeTotal fiber (grams)*
    Split peas, cooked 1 cup 16.3
    Lentils, cooked 1 cup 15.6
    Black beans, cooked 1 cup 15.0
    Lima beans, cooked 1 cup 13.2
    Baked beans, vegetarian, canned, cooked 1 cup 10.4
    Sunflower seed kernels 1/4 cup 3.9
    Almonds 1 ounce (23 nuts) 3.5
    Pistachio nuts 1 ounce (49 nuts) 2.9
    Pecans 1 ounce (19 halves) 2.7
    VegetablesServing sizeTotal fiber (grams)*
    Artichoke, cooked 1 medium 10.3
    Peas, cooked 1 cup 8.8
    Broccoli, boiled 1 cup 5.1
    Turnip greens, boiled 1 cup 5.0
    Sweet corn, cooked 1 cup 4.2
    Brussels sprouts, cooked 1 cup 4.1
    Potato, with skin, baked 1 medium 2.9
    Tomato paste 1/4 cup 2.7
    Carrot, raw 1 medium 1.7

• My dr does not do any additional ultrasounds unless you are high risk or require additional monitoring for whatever reason. I do take my prenatal everyday because I take it right before bed and if I forget (or start to fall asleep on the couch) DH remembers and makes me take it :)
  • My midwifery practice doesn't do them at all after the anatomy scan unless there is a problem or suspected problem. Ultrasounds toward the end of pregnancy (esp. in the last few weeks) are not a reliable way to determine the size of the baby. By the time you reach about 37 weeks, the measurements can easily be off by 1-2 pounds in either direction.

I can't imagine your anemia was caused by your forgetting your prenatals sometimes, so don't beat yourself up! I also forget from time to time. 

•  I like to eat Fiber One Cereal in the morning to help with the fiber intake! My favorites are Caramel Delight and Honey Clusters.

• This is the only pregnancy that I've had an u/s after the anatomy scan and it was only due to being high risk (GD). Its not really that important to know how big baby is unless something seems wrong.

I've been anemic with all three pregnancies and I take my PNV. I think its just a third tri thing. If you're worried about constipation, take Slow FE. Its the only thing that didn't bind me up. 

Annelise 3.22.2007 Norah 10.24.2009 Amelia 8.7.2011
  • My doctor does a 3d ultrasound around 30 weeks. Best part is he doesn't charge for it. He says that he does not want me to go out and have a 3d u/s done and get a call from some one who is not properly trained at spotting problems.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image.
  • I had my anatomy us at 21 weeks and they said that would probably be the last US if everything keeps going okay. Which is completely fine with me because I don't need the extra bill!  I also was told I was slightly anemic and to take the fe supplement... no biggie. just take it opposite from your pnv.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The two OB's I've used for all three of my pregnancies, only do u/s if it's necessary after 20wks.  If there is no concern, there is no need.  I'm kinda hoping they do one more just so I can get a more updated pic for the baby book.  But, I'm not holding my breathe. : )
    BabyFruit TickerLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers image image
  • i had a growth u/s at 36 weeks
  • I will not have another u/s unless they suspect a problem. I am okay with this. From everything I have heard growth u/s is not that reliable, so I would potentially decline one if that was the only reason they wanted to do one.
    imageimage
  • Unless there is a reason to suspect a problem, most women don't get any ultrasounds after the AS. If you had GD, they might check size to be sure baby is not too large. If you are measuring significantly big or small, they might check. Otherwise, it is just assumed the baby is fine and the size doesn't really matter.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • 1st of all it's VERY common not to have any additional u/s in a non-high risk pregnancy. Second of all I would be GLAD that my dr didn't want to do another u/s to measure how big the baby is for 2 reasons.

1) u/s late in pregnancy are known to be VERY inaccurate at telling babies weight b/c baby is quite large at that point and getting accurate measurements are tough. I know SO SO SO many people who were told they were going to have "big" babies 9lbs + and then gave birth to 6-7lb babies. U/s in late pg just aren't accurate

2) SO MANY dr's use this whole "big baby" idea to scare mom's into having c-sections telling them that their baby's too big to fit thru the birth canal which in my personal opinion is HOG WASH

Also any competent dr/midwife can tell by palpatating your uterus what position the baby is in....

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
  • With DS1 and DS2, I didn't get any ultrasounds after 18 weeks accept the elective 3D one we did at 30 weeks. They measure your fundal height by tape and as long as you are within a week (maybe 2) you are considered good. Although my OB's didn't, some doctors feel the baby from the outside and guess your baby's weight. My OB's just told me they thought I was going to have big babies...DS1 was born at 8 lbs 15oz and DS2 was born at 8 lbs 13 oz. They never gave me a number though.

With DS3, I have ultrasounds more often but they are checking for various things because I am over 35 years old and had high blood pressure.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My last ultrasound was at 19 weeks during the anatomy scan.  I won't have any more.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding.
    In all your ways acknowledge Him,and He shall direct your paths.
    Proverbs 3:5-6

• My last medical one was at 21 weeks, and the doctor said he wouldn't do another unless there was some concern.  I have done a 3D one for fun/cute pics.  I wish I could have had one to see the size of LO!

• Im almost due and iv had 3 US. One was an extra because I was measuring a little small... But yeah and Im aneimic to and taking 325 Mg 2 times a day   :( thats allot... And yes i do forget my suplements sometimes. But I eat Very healthy so I dont worry to much when I realize that I missed a day :)
  • My doctor wasn't planning on doing any more after we found out the sex, but I saw a different doctor last week and asked if baby was head down.  She did a quick u/s just to make sure.  I'm pretty sure they can tell just from palpating, but I didn't complain because we got to sort of see baby's face.

I've forgotten my vitamins a few times, but this past few weeks I am definitely getting pregnancy brain.  I just can't remember if I've taken it or not at all!  I ended up setting an alarm on my cell phone so I can't forget

• I have GD and am on insulin. I have growth ultrasounds every 4 weeks and  twice weekly BPPs. If I did not have GD, I would have been over with ultrasounds at 20 weeks because there is no need to know growth or position with a scheduled c-section.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I have been taking my prenatals religiously since before I found I was pregnant, and still have low iron and am taking an iron supplement. 

BabyFruit Ticker   AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imagemanbearpig31610:
    My dr does not do any additional ultrasounds unless you are high risk or require additional monitoring for whatever reason. I do take my prenatal everyday because I take it right before bed and if I forget (or start to fall asleep on the couch) DH remembers and makes me take it :)

This... I had my anatomy scan at 20w and another check at 32w because LO had slight kidney inflammation.  I wouldn't have had the second one if there wasn't an issue with the first.  Yes, I am dying to be able to see her again and I really want an estimate about how much she is going to weigh (my Dr doesn't like to give estimates other than I am measuring normal) but it is money saved and, although I know it is low, less radiation for LO to be exposed to.  

As for the vitamins... I remember to take mine almost every day.  I have other pills that I am taking as well and I am horrible at remembering pills.  I definitely remember to take them when I get heartburn since that is one of the pills!  

• We weren't going to have another ultrasound after 20 weeks. I did request a growth ultrasound but my dr. denied it since he said I'm healthy and there is no reason for one since I'm not high risk. But now that I'm overdue I just got one for my BPP this week and will have another one next week. So I say you'd get another one most likely if you're overdue.
  • I had my anatomy one at 20 weeks and unless there is a suspected problem, no more US before delivery. I had the same with my DD with no issues.
  • imagemama livingston:
    I get u/s every two weeks, but that's b/c my ob is worried about how small my LO is measuring.....as for the prenatals, still get so sick from taking them. I started taking Flinstone vitamins but my gag is just too much. I am worried that b/c my body hasn't allowed me to keep down either my reg. pregnantal or the Flinstone vitamin that I've harmed my LO and that's why she's so small. But I've done the best I can do, I take my iron pill and try to eat healthy. But still, as a mom (to be) I can't help but feel like I'm at fault for my LO's growth issues :/

Yeah.  I understand this statement.  My baby girl is measuring a couple weeks behind due to my malformations.  It breaks my heart that she is so small, but the fact that she is showing steady growth is excellent.   My doc does the frequent u/s as well to make sure that she is still growing consistently.  She doesn't seem concerned about her being the average size as much as having a good growth pattern...if that makes any sense.  On another note...and I am sure you have already...have you thought of the gummi flintstones?  I have had horrible trouble keeping the prenatals or the chewables down. Gummis are amazing.  You can suck on them and they don't taste so crappy.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I only get 2 routine u/s with each pregnancy. I had one at about 30 wks because they thought my water had broke. Everything checked out, so I don't get another one. Darn, I would love to have a 3d pic of my baby still in the oven!

Don't beat yourself up about not taking prenatals. I was taking prenatals and also a MVI (multivit) for months before I realized I wasn't supposed to be taking both. I felt bad, but there was nothing I could do but move forward and not be too hard on myself. Just try to do the best about your iron supp and prenatals until LO is here.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've had one during this pregnancy.  If my dr wanted to do another I would have to ask why.  I don't quite get why there's one done cllose to the end to check the baby's size.  With my 3rd, the dr said he was 8 bs and he was actually 10 bs but then I think women are told way to often that the baby is to big to be delivered vaginally.
    BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"