3rd Trimester

Uncomfortable Sleep

So I have read and heard that in the 3rd trimester it is better to sleep on your left side cause it helps baby Right ........ I start out on my left side every night, But for some reason my whole left side goes numb so I am left tossing and turning all night and as soon as I get comfy its time to get up! UGHTongue Tied I use a body pillow aswell but sometimes it just gets in my way. Now is sleeping on your right side or on your back sooo bad? Hmm
Our Lil Papi chulo Pregnancy Ticker pregnancy ticker

Get your Pregnancy Tickers

Baby Gender Predictor

BabyName Ticker

Re: Uncomfortable Sleep

• I am 110% unable to sleep or even lay on my back for very long anymore. They say that you shouldn't because of the extra weight and pressure of your uterus can push on the nerves in your back. I don't think the side thing is really an issue. Just get used to the tossing and turning thing.. that only gets worse in the weeks to come. 
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I start out on my left side, but I end up on my right side leaning back against DH.  My doc said that it is fine as long as I'm not laying flat on my back to sleep.  She suggested using pillow to prop myself up, but I found DH to me more comfy! lol 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker photo15Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Sleeping/laying on your right side is completely safe.  Left side is PREFERRED only b/c it released pressure from certain veins (insert medical terms...)  If you're feeling poorly, lay on your left side and you may feel better.  As for sleeping, switch between your right and left side as much as you need- but stay off your back. 

I'm not sleeping well at all either (and I HATE pregnancy pillows), but I have found that using 2 body pillows: one on the left, one on the right : really helps.  This way I can turn back and forth and always have support in my front and my back.  Tuck one up under your belly, the other one under your hip/back for total support.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagelaurahastings:

I'm not sleeping well at all either (and I HATE pregnancy pillows), but I have found that using 2 body pillows: one on the left, one on the right : really helps.  This way I can turn back and forth and always have support in my front and my back.  Tuck one up under your belly, the other one under your hip/back for total support.

This is what I'm doing. I've found though that every time I switch to my left side, LO has a fit and doesn't like it. Smile I have been having problems sleeping a lot lately too... seems like I can't get comfortable. Sad

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I rotate between both sides throughout the night. Usually when I first go to bed I get all my pillows situated and get comfy on one side. Then when I get up to go potty I switch to the other side, and the pattern continues all night.
    Wyatt 9/6/2011 
    Tessa 7/5/2013
    Baby #3- ????? (ttc soon)

• I've read that they prefer you sleep on your left side, but it's not necessary. There is no way I can only lay on my left side all night. I toss and turn all night, because my hips start hurting so badly if I lay on one side for too long.
  • at this point i sleep anyway I can! ive formulated a technique that includes 7 pillows and i still toss, turn & go numb!
    ~Welcome to the world, Presley Ann!! *8/16/11* 8 days late!
  • I was told that sleeping on ur back puts pressure on a certain nerve that limits blood to the bottom half of ur body.  Sleeping on ur right side is fine tho....they suggest u sleep on ur left side only because it helps with the blood flow to your lower body, including the baby- but sleeping on ur right side is fine it doesnt harm u or the baby in any way
    Army Wife1 BabyFruit Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • You can sleep on either side. You can also sleep on your back for a little while if you are comfortable, if/when it starts to effect you or LO your body will wake you up and tell you to move. As you get further along it will become more uncomfortable for you since LO gets bigger. Up until a few weeks ago I would still lay on my back for awhile because my hips, shoulders, and upper back would hurt so bad at night. Now, I'm to the point where it isn't comfortable to be on my back at all. Like I said before, just do whats comfortable, when your body wants you to move, you will know it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"