2nd Trimester

How much caffeine do you drink?

Before getting pregnant I used to drink at least one bottle of Diet Coke a day. Now that I am pregnant I have cut way back, usually to little or no caffeine each day. Recently I have been sleeping really bad and the lack of sleep is causing me to just drag at work and have headaches. The past three days I have had one bottle of pepsi each day. I worry because I don't want to get into the caffeine habit again and I know the caffeine isn't good for the baby. How much caffeine do you ladies drink each day? Do you think a bottle a day is too much?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: How much caffeine do you drink?

• I have one a day.  Though I switched to Diet Coke with Splenda instead of Diet Pepsi (my fave!) with aspartame.  I don't think it's bad.  I have GD so I can barely have anything else I like!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I LOVE diet coke!!  Before TTC I proably drank a 2 liter/day.  I now have maybe one 12oz once or twice a week (usually on work days).  I know many ladies still have their one cup of coffee/day.  Moderation is key.

Edit: I also switched to DC with splenda.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • Loading the player...
  • I drink between 1 and 3 cans of diet coke a day. Flame me if you want, but I did the same with ds and he turned out just fine. My doc is fine with it, so am I.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • These all make me feel so much better. In the first tri I was paranoid about anything that could cause a m/c so I RARELY had any. Now though with dealing with the exhaustion I need something to ty and get me through the day.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Less than one a day.  I quit making coffee at home, but when I get it at a restaurant, I get decaf.  I also make decaf tea at home.  I still have a diet coke once in awhile.
  • imageHopefull11:
    I drink between 1 and 3 cans of diet coke a day. Flame me if you want, but I did the same with ds and he turned out just fine. My doc is fine with it, so am I.

No flaming here! Excessive caffeine is bad, that's not excessive.

I have a cup of coffee a day and maybe a diet coke too if we have some in the house. Some days I'll have two cups of coffee.

Caffeine is bad if you over do it. You can have 1 to 2 cups a day, and trust me, I would NOT poop if it wasn't for my cup of coffee. I didn't make some one day and I got massive headaches as well.

Drinking 4 shots of espresso and a bevy of other caffeinated beverages daily is bad. 

• Like you I usually drink none or very little daily, once in a while I treat myself to a cherry coke (YUM!), a whole 20 oz. bottle of that has only 65 mg of caffiene.  I have read that up to 200mg of caffiene daily is fine during pregnancy, so if you are only having 1 can per day you are getting much less than this.  Just remember that some foods such as chocolate have caffiene also. 
  • I bought the 1/2 caffeine maxwell house and have one cup a day.  Then about 2-3 times a week I'll have a diet coke, and if I'm a restaurant I have had it re-filled a few times.  

They say as long as you don't go over 200 mg caffeine in a day you're fine.  And in one can of soda there is 50 mg so that's 4 cans.  

I think it's all about everything in moderation. 
  • No flames from me. In all seriousness, a 12 oz Diet Coke or Diet Pepsi has less than 50 mg of caffeine. An 8 oz. cup of black tea has about 70. Most of the "jolt" that people like from soda actually comes from the sugar, not the caffeine.

I have cut WAY back from my pre-pregnancy caffeine intake, but I will still rub up against the 200 mg limit on a fairly regular basis. Usually I drink two cups of tea a day. Today I am going to treat myself to a grande latte from Sbux (2 shots = 150 mgs)

• One Pepsi/day isn't going to hurt you or baby.

I don't drink any but I'm sure I get some from other stuff (the occasional chocolate I have, etc.)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The only caffeine I've been drinking since I've been pregnant is iced tea. And I don't have it very often. Probably less than once a week. And I really, really miss Mt. Dew! My husband and I gave up pop in 2010 as a new years resolution. We got pregnant in April so I had very little time to drink it before the baby. We bought some on sale so now it's just sitting at the house. I miss it more than I miss the occasional alcoholic beverage.
  • imageres932:

Before getting pregnant I used to drink at least one bottle of Diet Coke a day. Now that I am pregnant I have cut way back, usually to little or no caffeine each day. Recently I have been sleeping really bad and the lack of sleep is causing me to just drag at work and have headaches. The past three days I have had one bottle of pepsi each day. I worry because I don't want to get into the caffeine habit again and I know the caffeine isn't good for the baby. How much caffeine do you ladies drink each day? Do you think a bottle a day is too much?

I used to bring a thermos to work before I got preggo. I was a coffee feen!  And when I was on midnight shift I would drink Monster.  Now I try to only drink 1-2 cups of coffee only on the days where I am dragging.  The doc said 1-2 cups is fine just not to use artifical sweeteners.

• imageNoodleM:

No flaming here! Excessive caffeine is bad, that's not excessive.

I have a cup of coffee a day and maybe a diet coke too if we have some in the house. Some days I'll have two cups of coffee.

Caffeine is bad if you over do it. You can have 1 to 2 cups a day, and trust me, I would NOT poop if it wasn't for my cup of coffee. I didn't make some one day and I got massive headaches as well.

Drinking 4 shots of espresso and a bevy of other caffeinated beverages daily is bad. 

THIS... My doctor said a cup of regular coffee per day or a diet coke was FINE.  She said studies have shown that consequences to caffeine usage on newborns are not evident unless the mother is drinking 4 or more cups per day.  When I hit starbucks, I get a half-caf latte... but otherwise, I drink regular at home ~ if I miss a SINGLE day... I wind up in bed for two days with a migraine.  A little caffeine goes a long way with me... :)

• I usually have a small cup of coffee a week.
    imageimage Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Right now the only caffeine I am drinking is an occasional iced tea but that's about to change. I need to start drinking a cup of coffee again in the mornings because I am really dragging.  That's what I did when pg with DS-cut it out in the beginning and then had a cup of 1/2-caff coffee again when I got to around 3rd tri. It worked well.

Re: soda, that has less caffeine than coffee so one soda a day is not really a big deal. However, I would avoid the artificial sweeteners unless you have GD or something and just cannot have the sugar. That's just me though.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagekirky05:
    I drink half a cup of coffee a day (I have to have coffee in the mornings), and the occasional soda. I'm not a big "drinker", so it's never all that much caffeine anyway.

I was starting to wonder when someone was going to mention they drink coffee! Coke only has like 50 mg of caffeine in it...that is way under the limit.  

I drink about 1-2 cups of regular brewed coffee a day.  It's really half of a travel mug, so however many ounces that is.  The rest is decaf and the occasional root beer that has a tiny bit of caffeine in it.  So far, baby is growing right where she is supposed to be.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I may take a sip of DH's coke every once in a blue moon.  I don't drink coffee or soda (exept occasionally ginger ale).  If I have an occassional tea it's herbal.

I'm pretty sure you are fine with a bottle a day though.  If you are able to do without it the better -- but there is no need to suffer through it.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I drink one cup of coffee a day and sometimes have a glass of sweet tea with dinner.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I think it coudl be a lot worse! lol I wouldn't flame a bottle a day.  I didn't drink pop at all)or coffee very much for the past year and as soon as I got pregnant that was all i craved haha. I have a huge thing with Iced coffee ( i make my own at home)  and it makes a fairly large cup, i just try to take my time drinking it or make it last more than one day lol.  I'm more worried about my sugar intake in things instead of Caffeine haha.  ( of course it is funny if i drink a whole cup to feel the baby go crazy)
  • I don't drink as much caffeine as I use to. I was drinking one or two cups of coffee. In the 1ST tri I was drinking one small cup, but it was making me sick, so I stopped. I now only drink a small cup if I had rough night sleeping. Which isn't too often.
    ~I Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Posting from an Android sorry for any errors
  • I don't drink any (I was a HUGE diet coke drink and I miss it terribly!!!) I do eat chocolate though.  I am thinking of adding a can of soda into the mix though because I truly miss carbonated drinks (not a huge fan of sprite or sierra mist either).

• I have one cup of coffee a day. I have a small cup that is 6 ozs and that is considered one cup. I can have 2 cups  but i like to save for chocolate which has caffine in it.
  • I gave up caffeine pop and coffee all together.

The only caffeine I get is from iced tea or chocolate. I try to limit both.

** Highschool Sweethearts ** 
    Married: February 14, 2009

MC: June 6 2010 @ 18 weeks
    DS: December 19, 2011
    MC: October 2, 2015 @ 14 weeks

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • the first trimester i was pretty much off caffeine, maybe 1-2 cups a week. now i have a little almost every day. a couple of half cafs a week, maybe 1-2 regular small coffees (horrors!). honestly, i think it's fine. my doctor doesn't have a problem with it and i'm so much happier with a little caffeine.
    BFP #1: 1/27/11, mc 3/17/11 at 9w2d, baby measured at 8w3d, no heartbeat BFP #2: 5/13/11; beta #1: 382, beta #2: 7842. heartbeat: 103 at 6 weeks; 146 at 7 weeks, 165 at 9 weeks, 173 at 12 weeks, 158 at 16 weeks. BabyFruit Ticker
  • I used to drink a cup of coffee in the morning, order a coke with my lunch and maybe a coke, iced tea or milk with dinner.

Now I can't stomach the smell or flavor of coffee....so that's out.  I might have a little bit of a coke with lunch and maybe have a coke with dinner. I'm more aware of my caffeine intake so I do find myself opting for just water than I did before I got pregnant.  I haven't cut it completely out though.

• I'm usually not a big soda fan, but this pregnancy I've been drinking a cup of either Cranberry ginger ale or A&W root beer which are both caffeine-free.  A couple times a week I'll get a D&D half calf iced coffee.  I was also told to stay under 200mg/day.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Dr.'s say that you can have up to 300 mg of caffeine a day. One regular coke has 35 mg, while Diet Coke has 45. I found this here (https://www.energyfiend.com/the-caffeine-database)

I am not a big coffee drinker, but I LOVE Coke. I have at least one a day. I'm sure its not the healthiest drink of choice, but surprisingly Coke has one of the lowest caffeine contents of all soda drinks. I try to drink it in moderation, because I know all the other sugars and stuff are not healthy, but I don't worry too much about the caffeine. (You'd have to have 8 Cokes a day to get close to 300!)

But, like I said, I don't drink a lot of coffee (or tea). Other than Coke I'll have water or milk.

• I drink one or 2 diet cokes a day. If I don't have caffeine I get a headache. I tried switching to regular coke, but I find it disgusting and way too syrupy. I did it with DD too and she's perfect! 
    image image

• Before I was pregnant, I drank about 3 or 4 cans of Pepsi One every day.  When I found out I was pregnant, I started cutting back to 1 or 1 1/2 a day.    But once the morning sickness and food aversions began, I suddenly didn't like soda anymore, so I quit drinking it completely.  

But...in the last month or so, as I've been feeling somewhat normal again,  I started getting soda again, but just when out to eat.  And then this week I also picked up a 2 liter of pepsi, and I have maybe a glass of that each day.   So, I'm drinking it again but I don't want to go back to how much I was drinking before, even once the pregnancy is over. That was too much.

~*Kimberly*~

Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker
  • I am probably not the norm here. I really do not drink sodas, before I was pregnant. Lately I have been on a ginger ale (no caffeine) kick. The only time I drink caffeine is if I have tea when we go out to eat (we drink decaf at home). Most of the time I drink water when we go out to eat. I think when I first got pregnant I was drinking more tea and started to realize it had caffine in it (some how I forgot that). That is when I first start moving over to water. From what I read, you can safetly have a cup a day of soda or other caffeine products.
    Jewels

** Our TTC Journey Blog **

** Our Pregnancy Blog ** 

TTC for over 3 years. After several infertility treatments, we received our first BFP!! :)

image' rel="nofollow">image
  • I usually have a glass or two of iced tea a day.  I've never been a coffee drinker and I stopped drinking soda a few years ago (it was destroying my teeth) so I didn't really have to stop or cut back on anything. 

Jan17 Sept Sig: Pumpkin Spice gone too far
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I've read that you can have up to 200mg of caffeine a day, about the equivalent of a 20oz coffee.

Before getting pregnant, I drank a lot of diet coke and iced coffee and lattes, a lot of iced tea. 

Since the day I found out I was pregnant, I quit pretty much all caffeine. In the past 8 weeks I have had two 8oz glasses of tea and some chocolate. That's it. If I crave soda, I just drink Sprite or Sierra Mist (both are caffeine free). 

• Well, I feel like I may be worse than most, but that's ok i'll confess anyways.  I drink a medium or large latte about every three days from Dunkin Donuts... I think the large may have close to 300mg caffine (DD doesn't offer up caffine content info, but I based it on the amt of espresso in one cup and compared to stbux).  Then i'll drink sips of my husbands mtn. dew because I'm not strong enough not to drink any of it, but I don't want to waste a whole caffine binge on it. And I don't even think twice about chocolate or anything else that may have caffine. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I drink a cup of coffee a day. But I do miss my diet coke... 
  • I drink about one and a half cups of half-caff coffee in the mornings and then usually one can of regular soda later in the day. I don't drink anything with aspartame anymore so it's usually a Cherry Dr. Pepper (39mg of caffeine) or a Cherry Coke.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My doctor told me to limit it to under 200mg a day, especially since I get nasty migraines (hooray for fioricet!). So I have a small coffee in the morning and a diet coke with lunch, for a total of about 120 mg caffein a day, sometimes less. :)
  • I have 2 cups of coffee in the morning and a diet mt dew in the afternoon/evening.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I typically have a bottle frap every morning and 1-2 cans of soda throughout the day. I get a lot of headaches and this helps I still drink a ton of water as well
    Robin - CO Mod * RP & JHutch Lover * Hufflepuff
    <><
    Tizzle 10/07 ~ Boppy 7/09 ~ Chicken 1/12
    imageimageimage
    imageimage
    Books read in 2013: ~ Audiobooks listened to in 2013: 3
    Currently reading: The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon
    Currently listening to: The Dark Divine by Bree Despain
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Robin (jason&robin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf) image
  • I gave it up. There were maybe 4 or 5 exceptions when I had a nasty headache I had a small cup of light roast coffee. My ob told me 1 cup a day was ok but I'd rather not have it on a reg basis.
  • One cup of regular coffee a day...I get wicked head aches if I don't have it. So it's either drink the coffee or take a tylenol every day. I choose the coffee lol
    Heather Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Vacation tickers BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"