September 2011 Moms

So confused....*BTDT* mom's help! (Even FTM if you can)

I am trying to register for a breast pump for my baby shower on the 20th. It is one of the last things I need to get on the registry because my hospital said it is going to be too chancy to rent one because they aren't able to meet the need of all the pregnant people, so there is a good chance there won't be one available.

I am so confused looking at these things. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what a good brand is to use? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: So confused....*BTDT* mom's help! (Even FTM if you can)

• anything by medela is great!  I have a medela pump in style its an older model but it has worked great for me!
  • I have a Medela Pump In Style.  It's pricey but it's the best, IMO.  Most hospitals use this brand.  I've had it since I had DS1 back in 2006 and works like new!
    BabyFruit TickerLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers image image
  • Loading the player...
  • Medela or Ameda, double electric.  Stay away from the manuals unless you really don't plan on using it that often.  They are a PITA.  Then get the little milk storage bags that go with your brand. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • FTM here... The ones I looked at are Medela. but I'm not buying one until I know for sure what I will need. I may have trouble breast feeding due to inverted/flat nipples. I was recently told by a mother with inverted nipples that she was still able to pump, but actual skin to skin breast feeding didn't work with her baby. Therefore, if all I can do is pump, I will want a better pump than I would otherwise need.
    photo 22e3a93e-8933-4ed0-acf4-72665341621b_zpsd73ca8f6.jpgp>

"What did my fingers do before they held you? What did my heart do with it's love?"

CafeMom Tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest

• imagePina:
    Medela or Ameda, double electric.  Stay away from the manuals unless you really don't plan on using it that often.  They are a PITA.  Then get the little milk storage bags that go with your brand. 

I have to disagree.  I liked my manual more than the PIS.  With the manual you can pump at your speed not dependent on the motor.  With the manual you can pump anywhere at anytime.  I have used both and would chose a good manual over a motorized one any day.  I already did two times and will use the manual again this time.

Not everyone is the same but I was able to pump in 5-7 minutes what a friend of mine took 20 minutes to pump with her PIS

image.
  • (FTM here)  I'm getting the Philips Avent Twin Electric Breast Pump.  I've searched and searched and searched, and this one seems to be the best deal for me, price and quality wise. I haven't seen anyone else post anything about this one on there, so I thought I'd chime in.  Based on reading a TON of reviews, it seems quite comparable with the Medela everyone loves (and most reviews are saying it's quieter too).  AND it has a feature where it can be a manual, and it basically "learns" how you like to pump (pressure and speed-wise)

Anything that I've been researching I've also looked at on Amazon, to read the customer reviews.  I usually read the best and the worst and between the two, decide whether or not it's something I want.

I'm planning on going back to work at 6-8 weeks, so this one's going to be used a LOT.  My sister (granted, this was 6 years ago), had a double electric that my mom got for around $60 and she LOVED it.  I have no intentions of spending $300+ on a pump.

GL!

• imagechargermama:

imagePina:
    Medela or Ameda, double electric.  Stay away from the manuals unless you really don't plan on using it that often.  They are a PITA.  Then get the little milk storage bags that go with your brand. 

I have to disagree.  I liked my manual more than the PIS.  With the manual you can pump at your speed not dependent on the motor.  With the manual you can pump anywhere at anytime.  I have used both and would chose a good manual over a motorized one any day.  I already did two times and will use the manual again this time.

Not everyone is the same but I was able to pump in 5-7 minutes what a friend of mine took 20 minutes to pump with her PIS

Interesting to know.... I am a FTM and am only going on my dr's and friend's recomendations..... I guess to each her own with this topic.....

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have the Medela Pump in Style Advanced from my pumping days with DS1.  I loved this pump & can't wait to use it again!  As pp's said pricey but well worth it & esp if you are going to be working & away from baby for periods of time!

I also have a Medela Harmony manual pump. I got this for a trip to Ireland I was was making with my baby & thought it might be nice for my mother or other family members if they wanted to give him a bottle.  It worked fine but it took a lot longer than my PISA & I don't think I got as much milk out.  But for those who are not working & only need a pump occasionally this just might work!

• FTM here. I bought the Madela Freestyle...but I'm going to be pumping regularly at work, daily, and wanted something light weight and effective (at least I hope it's effective, it better be for what I paid for it). If you're planning on being around your baby most of the time I would venture to guess a manual pump would probably suit you just fine for those few times away from LO.
  • I wouldn't trade my Medela in for anything...it's great!!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • imagePina:

This exactly.  

• imageLadyBugLove7:
    FTM here. I bought the Madela Freestyle...but I'm going to be pumping regularly at work, daily, and wanted something light weight and effective (at least I hope it's effective, it better be for what I paid for it). If you're planning on being around your baby most of the time I would venture to guess a manual pump would probably suit you just fine for those few times away from LO.

same here!

336a Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"