February 2011 Moms

MegaMeatus

Our 6 month check up went really well.  Developing at a stellar rate and is growing as he should be.  Dr. was looking at his pee pee for a while and mentioned that LO has a "megameatus" (an extra large pee hole).  She told DH and I that we can discuss whether or not to have it repaired.  Major surgery where LO is put completely under anesthesia and has it closed to make smaller. He would have to have a catheter in for a week while it healed.  

She said that it's totally up to us to decide whether or not to do it.  Said that if it were her child she would probably just leave it.  But some parents do fix it.  Basically he would spray everywhere when he goes to the bathroom during potty training.  Also said that when he's older he may not want to use urinals as he may spray the guy next to him. Geeze!

Anyway - I'm wondering if anyone else had this issue in the past or going through it with their LOs.  I'm totally lost as to what to do and am a little sad about the thought of putting him through such a big surgery at 6 months old.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
PhotobucketPhotobucket

Re: MegaMeatus

• Wow that is a big decision. How does your DH feel about it. If he had had it, would he have wanted it repaired? 
    image     image

image    image

• That is such a tough call. I don't know if I would want to put him under so young. I'm sorry you have to make this decision. ((hugs))

Rylan 1/27/2011, 2:42 pm, 5lbs 12oz, 18.5 inches long
     Ayla 10/02/2013, 10:14 am, 6lbs 14oz, 19.25 inches long
    Missed Miscarriage 6w3d 3/02/2010
    I'll hold you in my heart until I hold you in heaven

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Can it be repaired when he is older?
    image     image

image    image

• Aw, the poor little guy!  Does it appear to be large(r)?  F's seems to "open up" in the tub & it often catches my eye...just wondering.  Anyways, that's a tough decision- do what you're most comfortable with.  As a side, one of my nephews was born with his "hole" (sorry I don't know the medical term) on the side of his pee pee.  His parents decided to have the surgery when he was just a few months old & were glad they did so- he's ten now and it's behind them!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • That is a big decison. I would do my research and see the pros and cons about it. DS had sugery when he was only 5 weeks old. It was a minor thing to clip his heal cord, but he still had to be put to sleep. It broke my heart seeing him like that, but I'm glad he had it done then, because he will never remember it.

My Blog PM me to read my blog BFP 12/22/09 natural m/c 2/20/10 12 weeks 1 day Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"