2nd Trimester

Is 12 weeks too early to know sex?!

Several people on 1st tri have been told at their 12 week scans the baby's sex. If it really is possible, I am super excited for them!! But, I am wondering because 12 weeks sounds wayyyyy toooo early to me as they both generally look the same (I have heard of the angle of the dangle indicating a difference though?) 

Wondering if any of you had the sex prediction that early and whether it turned out to be true?  I don't want to know that early as I really have doubts of the accuracy, but I could be wrong.  Maybe things have changed since I had my other two and it is more reliable now. 

Re: Is 12 weeks too early to know sex?!

• It's a guess. I have heard of a jack and jill blood test that can tell you around that time and is accurate.  
    m/c @ 6 weeks - March 2013 
    m/c @ 5 weeks - April 2013 
    m/c @ 7 weeks - December 2013, D & C 12/27/2013 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• They told me they were pretty positive at my NT scan boy. At my 16 week u/s he was still all boy. I'm sure it depends on the skill of the technician and quality of the machine. Either way they have a 50/50 shot right. Not bad odds.
  • Loading the player...
  • I think an experienced tech can make a good guess at 12 weeks, but the accuracy is better the closer you get to 16/18 weeks.  I've heard that some techs won't guess at a 12-week u/s as a liability.  You'll just have to ask and see!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • At our 12 week scan, the tech attempted to guess, but couldn't, based on baby's position.  But she emphasized it was PURELY a guess, and not to be taken too seriously, because of how early it was.  We found out at our anatomy scan, and they tech and doctor told us they were VERY sure.
    Love is a gift, not to be denied. IAmPregnant Ticker image Visit The Nest!
  • TBH it's better to just wait until the gender scan. I mean if they make a guess and it's correct more power to you. But more often then not those early "guesses" are incorrect, I mean they are guesses after all.

Basically if you are told a sex that early I wouldn't go out and start buying tons of stuff of said sex.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
    By lilenatalem at 2012-01-28 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We got an elective u/s done at 14w 1d and he was very obviously a boy...but we got lucky and got a very good shot. At my NT scan at 12w 3d the gender wasn't even mentioned, and I didn't even ask. I could tell we didn't get ourselves a good 'potty' shot anyway. Definitely don't count on it...a girl at 12 weeks could still have part of a 'nub'. It would have to be a very good guess of the 'angle of the dangle'. GL!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Me: 37 DH: 38 
    BFP #1 3/17/11 - DS born 12/4/11
    TFAS Dec 2013
    BFP #2 - 3/23/14 - CP 3/26/14
    BFP #3 - 8/20/14 - Natural Miscarriage 9/22/14
    BFP #4 - 1/28/15 - DS2 born 10/13/15
    Surprise BFP# 5 - 9/2/16 - Due 5/13/17

• My advice is not to ask. It will drive you crazy, because basically it's a 50/50 guess. It's true that some experienced techs may be able to guess based on the "angle" (or if you have an OB do it, your odds might be better), but for the most part, it's early. Though, I have seen a lot of people on the Bump say they were told correctly at their NT scan.

We asked the tech to guess at our 13 week scan, and at one point she showed us a view and what looked like a boy and said "that looks like an appendage to me!" It did, but it was also a split second look, and at the time I knew nothing about the angle theory. Our big a/s is tomorrow, and it's been driving me nuts over the last 6 weeks wondering if she was correct or not. I wish I hadn't asked.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagel_elizabeth:

My advice is not to ask. It will drive you crazy, because basically it's a 50/50 guess. It's true that some experienced techs may be able to guess based on the "angle" (or if you have an OB do it, your odds might be better), but for the most part, it's early. Though, I have seen a lot of people on the Bump say they were told correctly at their NT scan.

We asked the tech to guess at our 13 week scan, and at one point she showed us a view and what looked like a boy and said "that looks like an appendage to me!" It did, but it was also a split second look, and at the time I knew nothing about the angle theory. Our big a/s is tomorrow, and it's been driving me nuts over the last 6 weeks wondering if she was correct or not. I wish I hadn't asked.  

Thanks. I am with you that I don't think I could possibly ask until they could be very certain as I don't want to start to think one way or the other. I am not interested in finding out for myself until 20 weeks.

I was curious about other's success rate with the NT scan prediction. Its good to know that a lot are correct. There are already a bunch of people who have been told at 12 weeks so I was hoping they weren't getting their hopes up. I'm glad there has been a bit of success that early at least.

• I don't even see a point to ask that early.  You shouldn't go out buying blue or pink at that young of an age.  Why get your heart set on a certain gender only to possibly find out the tech was wrong.  I think you're setting yourself up for  a let-down.
  • I had the Jack or Jill blood test done at my NT scan, that's how we found out.  I did not ask the technician to give us a guess at the actual scan because it's just too early, in my opinion, to believe their guess.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers image image image
  • They were wrong at my NT scan at 12 weeks and that was on fancy sono machines at my MFM Dr's office.
    Diagnosis: DOR and MFI-low everything IVF #1 = triplets! 2 girls and a boy! Born Sept 29, 2011 at 32w6d due to Pre-e and HELLP syndrome Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • An u/s so early is hard to be 100% sure.  Yes the u/s are more sophisticated in the last few years (3D etc) but i think its still puts a lot of trust in the technician.  usually the ob doesnt do that u/s, just a tech. ANyway, you will find out soon enough!

Good luck

joyce
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkbtU7Yvhvo

joyce@mazelabs.com www.mazecordblood.com
  • We were told at our NT scan (around 12-13 weeks) but were skeptical..... then our 20 week confirmed he is indeed most definitely a boy
  • Here is an interesting study about the accuracy of "angle of the dangle." For a trained tech, at 12 weeks there is pretty good odds. Lots of people get told wrong information at the 12 week scan, because the tech assumes if there's something there it's a boy when you can't go from "potty shots" at 12 weeks.

https://www.baby2see.com/gender/study_ultrasound.html

FWIW, at the 12w5d scan I had, my tech was very very sure the baby was a boy. Our print out that showed the angle of the dangle couldn't have been more obvious either. A/S confirmed it on Tuesday; he's all boy!  

imageimageimage
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Breastfeeding and pregnant!
  • They told me boy at my NT scan and it was confirmed a boy at 20 weeks.
    BabyFruit Ticker 9/19/12: Miscarriage at 12wks due to Triploidy, D&C 9/24/12 - I will forever miss you my little angel
  • apeygapeyg member
    When I was pregnant with my DD the tech asked us at 12 weeks if we wanted to know the sex. Of course we said yes and she said she was pretty sure it was a girl. When we saw the doctor that same day he said "if she said it's a girl, it's a girl, she's never wrong". Sure enough she was right! She had been doing us there for a long long time.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"