November 2011 Moms

no kids allowed ban movement

https://shine.yahoo.com/channel/parenting/the-no-kids-allowed-movement-is-spreading-2516110/

This is interesting to say the least. I understand maybe upscale restaurants or adult-only vacation spots but at your local movie theater or grocery store!! What the heck is going on?

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: no kids allowed ban movement

• I think it's ridiculous. If a store told me that I could not bring my child in, they'd lose my business for sure.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I agree!! Its crazy how people haven't boycotted this yet.
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • i can understand how adult only vacation retreats may push this.. HOWEVER

i didn't don't think flights/restaurants or anything else should be allowed to do so! How is it any different then other discriminations! Are they eventually going to ban teen/adult autistic people who at times may act like children? Or elderly people who poo their pants... i would never support any place that bans anyone! it's rude and inconsiderate.

• I dont really have any issues with this. Its VERY different than other discriminations. And yes, at my local mall they banned all teenagers on weekends unless they are accompanied by a parent. And I must say.. I enjoy shopping a whole lot more. It would have never come to this if parents could control their own kids. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageMrsG.060708:
    I think it's ridiculous. If a store told me that I could not bring my child in, they'd lose my business for sure.

I hope this doesn't come across wrong, but I'm pretty sure losing your business is their goal Stick out tongue

Raising a threenager since 11/11
    Baby boy #2 due 5/6/15
  • imageMrsG.060708:
    I think it's ridiculous. If a store told me that I could not bring my child in, they'd lose my business for sure.

I think the point is they don't care if they lose your business.

Personally I'm all for it.  I would love to have places I could go eat without bratty kids spoiling it.  I'd love to go to a movie and not have a baby crying throughout the whole thing.

• imageMrsG.060708:

Personally I'm all for it.  I would love to have places I could go eat without bratty kids spoiling it.  I'd love to go to a movie and not have a baby crying throughout the whole thing.

• I read this article earlier and what bothered me the most is this sentance

"Brat bans could well be the next frontier in destination and leisure-product marketing," 

I think what rubbed me the wrong way is that I feel this is very insulting for mothers/fathers of children with learning disabilities or who are disabled in general and sometimes they cant help but to have a fit or scream or yell etc. I feel as though they are saying disabled children who scream are brats when that is far from the truth. Should parents of disabled children stay in the house now because their child may have an episode in a store? I just found that to be very insulting and closed minded. 

BFP 03/01/2011 - DD  Annabelle 10/28/2011
    BFP 12/2/2012 - MC 12/19/2012 @ 5w
    BFP 01/25/2013 - MC 02/09/2013
    BFP 09/09/2013 - DUE 05/17/2014
  • imageCranang:

imageMrsG.060708:

Yes

• I am for it in some moderation.

I think certain shows  at a movie being adult only are fine. However if they tried to do that with a G rated animated show like cars it would piss me off.  IMO a child under 13 should not be in a movie rate PG 13. (My DS hates me when I say sorry it's a mommy and daddy movie you will have to wait until you are older to watch it) I understand not all parents are this strict. 

I don't agree with the airline if I want to pay for first class then I should be allowed to go. I could see a non kid friendly section.  Say the first 2 rows will be child free??

I get it. Not everyone likes kids and let's be honest those without them spend more money on entertainment and travel then those with them.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • imageCranang:

imageMrsG.060708:

They'll care when they start losing the business of all parents. I think it's a shame that a few bratty kids and parents who don't know how to parent ruin it for everyone. DD is VERY well behaved and has never acted out in public. We shouldn't be discriminated against because Joe Schmoe let's his kid scream throughout the entire dinner. And gasp! We've even taken DD to a movie or two and if you didn't see us walk in, you wouldn't have known there was a kid in the theatre.

I think it's perfectly acceptable to ask someone who is being disruptive to leave, but to automatically label all kids as a disturbance and not allow us as a family in the establishment? Not okay.

• imageCranang:

imageMrsG.060708:

They'll care when they start losing the business of all parents. I think it's a shame that a few bratty kids and parents who don't know how to parent ruin it for everyone. DD is VERY well behaved and has never acted out in public. We shouldn't be discriminated against because Joe Schmoe let's his kid scream throughout the entire dinner. And gasp! We've even taken DD to a movie or two and if you didn't see us walk in, you wouldn't have known there was a kid in the theatre.

I think it's perfectly acceptable to ask someone who is being disruptive to leave, but to automatically label all kids as a disturbance and not allow us as a family in the establishment? Not okay.

• Eh like I said before it doesn't really bother me.  We RARELY go out without our son but when we do go out without him, it is kind of nice if there aren't any other kids around too.  A bad kid would annoy me and a good, cute kid would make me miss mine. 

I understand the movie theatre thing too- some idiots take their too young or too loud or too hyper kids to the movie theatres thinking that everyone else in there enjoys their kid and thinks their kid is just so stinkin' adorable the way he is screaming at the bad guys on the screen- its not freakin' cute. 

The vacation- again... I understand.  Our honeymoon had an adults only pool and some people KEPT bringing their kid there.  It was annoying as heck.  If we wanted a kid free vacation somewhere, we want KID free- yours too! 

Honestly, I'm not some kid hater, we'll probably never go on vacation without our kids and we rarely (like twice in 20 months) have gone to dinner without our son but I definitely understand the appeal of child-free places, especially if you don't have kids of your own. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagexoTanyaMarie:
    I dont really have any issues with this. Its VERY different than other discriminations. And yes, at my local mall they banned all teenagers on weekends unless they are accompanied by a parent. And I must say.. I enjoy shopping a whole lot more. It would have never come to this if parents could control their own kids. 

Yes

BabyFruit Ticker
  • It's their business: if they want to ban children in order to create a certain atmosphere, they should be allowed to do that.  If their profits suffer, I'm sure they'll re-evaluate their business policies.  But, I have a feeling most places that choose to enforce this rule won't suffer very much.

Now, if there were a ban on only "bratty children as determined by management" or "children with disabilities," I'd have a problem with that, but banning all kids across the board seems to be the most objective way to handle this.

And babysitting services at Whole Foods sounds like a great idea.  Ikea does this already and I think it's genius.

"I know not all that may be coming, but be it what it will, I'll go to it laughing."

• imageAugustbride:

I am for it in some moderation.

I think certain shows  at a movie being adult only are fine. However if they tried to do that with a G rated animated show like cars it would piss me off.  IMO a child under 13 should not be in a movie rate PG 13. (My DS hates me when I say sorry it's a mommy and daddy movie you will have to wait until you are older to watch it) I understand not all parents are this strict. 

I don't agree with the airline if I want to pay for first class then I should be allowed to go. I could see a non kid friendly section.  Say the first 2 rows will be child free??

I get it. Not everyone likes kids and let's be honest those without them spend more money on entertainment and travel then those with them.

See, I completely agree with the flight thing. I just went on a trip and spent 6 hours next to a screaming ~1 year old. When he wasn't screaming, his grandmother had him sprawled across her lap, sleeping, with his head on my leg. I couldn't move for fear of waking them up.

I paid $500+ for a flight, and selected my seat because it was a long flight.This woman wasn't even in the right seat -she moved herself up on her own and stole another woman's seat (who kindly went to the back of the plane) because she had the baby. I'm sorry, but why would it be discrimination to put all babies in one part of the plane? It doesn't have to be the back, make it the first rows behind first class so they can get off faster too, I don't care. When you're paying that much money to sit in cramped quarters, it's unfair to everyone else that has to put up with it.

And on the flip side, if I were the parent, I'm sure I'd be frustrated and worried that I'm being a nuisance to others around me which would just add more stress. I know that the woman was NOT happy... maybe if she was with other parents/kids it would have been better for her. 

• Eh, when you fly, it's all the same air bubble.  An annoying kid in row 23 is still annoying in row 5.  That sucks about the woman changing her own seat and having her darling angel use you as a pillow, though.  :/

(To clarify: by "annoying," I mean "hot screaming mess.")

"I know not all that may be coming, but be it what it will, I'll go to it laughing."

• Kid free places seem like a good idea until it is your kid. My husband and I go out as a family to teach our children how to behave in public. That is the purpose of going to public places. For the most part my children behave. In fact we have gotten compliments on their behavior. Problem is you have a group of parents out there that think that it is NOT their job to teach their child manners. They choose instead to ignore it and hope that it will go away. This creates problem for everyone else. Instead what many places should do is charge a whining fee or make the parents put extra money down for unacceptable behavior.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image.
  • pghjenpghjen member

imagevarkeyr:
    Kid free places seem like a good idea until it is your kid. My husband and I go out as a family to teach our children how to behave in public. That is the purpose of going to public places. For the most part my children behave. In fact we have gotten compliments on their behavior. Problem is you have a group of parents out there that think that it is NOT their job to teach their child manners. They choose instead to ignore it and hope that it will go away. This creates problem for everyone else. Instead what many places should do is charge a whining fee or make the parents put extra money down for unacceptable behavior.

What I have seen from SOME friends/acquaintances with kids is that there is a group of people who think their children are adorable and that everyone else does too.  These parents "don't want to break their spirits" by always saying "no" - they want them to feel loved, cherished and special all the time  This results in a four-year old house guest who wakes up everyone else in the house at 4:30am playing the piano - while his dad sat next to him saying how "musically inclined" he is. I'm guessing when restaurants/resorts ban children, it's because of parents like this.

As far as the flying thing...I live half-way across the country from my in-laws and on the opposite side of the country from my family.  We will be flying with children and I'm already dreading it.  Flying is dreadful enough for everyone, with 3" of leg room, no overhead bag space, etc.  I'm sure at some point, I'll be the mom with the screaming baby that everyone on the flight hates and complains about, but if I want to see my family, I have to fly.  

• imagecatch2010:

And babysitting services at Whole Foods sounds like a great idea.  Ikea does this already and I think it's genius.

It sounds nice in theory... but I sure as hell wouldn't leave my child with a complete stranger like that.

• imagevarkeyr:
    Kid free places seem like a good idea until it is your kid. My husband and I go out as a family to teach our children how to behave in public. That is the purpose of going to public places. For the most part my children behave. In fact we have gotten compliments on their behavior. Problem is you have a group of parents out there that think that it is NOT their job to teach their child manners. They choose instead to ignore it and hope that it will go away. This creates problem for everyone else. Instead what many places should do is charge a whining fee or make the parents put extra money down for unacceptable behavior.

I agree with you! We've received compliments on DDs behavior as well and it makes me feel good that I'm doing my job as a parent. I wish other parents would do the same and not ruin it for everyone!

• imagevarkeyr:

Fine idea in theory, but how would that look?  What would be defined as "unacceptable behavior?"  What if the child has sensory issues and reacts to the loudness of a film?  Should those parents have to pay for disrupting the movie?  How would we know the difference between parents who are doing the best they can and parents who think it's not their job to teach manners?  I worry that would get very subjective and could lead to true discriminatory behaviors. 

I really don't think this is as prevalent as some would believe.  No one's saying that all children should not be able to go in public, just that some bars, restaurants, etc. wish to create a childfree atmosphere for their patrons.  In a sense, this is already the law in several places after certain hours. 

• image718gemini:
    imagecatch2010:

It sounds nice in theory... but I sure as hell wouldn't leave my child with a complete stranger like that.

I missed where it said the babysitting was forced...?

• imagecatch2010:

Eh, when you fly, it's all the same air bubble.  An annoying kid in row 23 is still annoying in row 5.  That sucks about the woman changing her own seat and having her darling angel use you as a pillow, though.  :/

(To clarify: by "annoying," I mean "hot screaming mess.")

True, I'm just saying it would probably be more comfortable for all if they sent them to one area of the plane. On my return flight, there were babies toward the back and I barely heard them cry. 

The woman also let her darling angel pull on the man's seat in front of her, and hit him on the head. I'm sure he was a happy camper too. 

• imagecatch2010:
    image718gemini:
    imagecatch2010:

I missed where it said the babysitting was forced...?

I looked back over that section, and maybe it's not forced... but at first glance, calling it "child-free shopping hours" makes it sound that way.

• imagelittlewinnie15:
    The woman also let her darling angel pull on the man's seat in front of her, and hit him on the head. I'm sure he was a happy camper too. 

This reminded me of a time when my husband and I were taking Amtrak back home... I didn't know what was going on, but the kid behind him- who couldn't have been any younger than 10- had been kicking his seat the whole time.  Then the kid JABBED HIM IN THE HEAD WITH A PEN.  He jumped up, furious, and yelled at the mother "listen lady, if you don't put some manner on your kid, I will!" 

Unbelievable...

• Although as a future parent, I might occasionally get frustrated if and when I encounter a 'child-free' establishment, I completely understand and respect why some businesses would choose to go this route. The problem isn't entirely the children, more so it can be the parents who either ignore or are ineffective in managing their children in public spaces.

I get that children, especially young ones or ones with special needs, may have difficulty at times. But it should be the responsibility of the parents to do their best to ensure that it doesn't get out of hand, or ruin the experience for others - and the problem is, many parents don't.

As a former server, I've definitely got my share of horror stories. Parents, do NOT let your children run about the restaurant when we are carrying trays full of drinks and hot food - this is a recipe for disaster. And, if you must change your baby at the booth, please ask me where the trash can is - DO NOT JUST LEAVE YOUR BABY'S SHITTY DIAPER AND WIPES ON A PLATE!

BabyFetus Ticker
  • imagevarkeyr:
    Exactly this, especially the part about how that is what you have to do to teach your kids to behave in public, is let them be in a public place. How else are they ever supposed to learn?
  • imagecityofblindinglights:

As a former server, I've definitely got my share of horror stories. Parents, do NOT let your children run about the restaurant when we are carrying trays full of drinks and hot food - this is a recipe for disaster. And, if you must change your baby at the booth, please ask me where the trash can is - DO NOT JUST LEAVE YOUR BABY'S SHITTY DIAPER AND WIPES ON A PLATE!

OMG that's foul!  I'm amazed that the parents were able to change the diaper right at the table without anyone noticing.  Do people do this often??

• pghjenpghjen member
    imagecatch2010:
    imagecityofblindinglights:

OMG that's foul!  I'm amazed that the parents were able to change the diaper right at the table without anyone noticing.  Do people do this often??

On my flight Sunday, the lady behind me changed her toddler's poopy diaper at the seat and then placed the dirty diaper in the seat pocket.  I could smell it because it was the pocket behind my seat.  

• imagepghjen:
    imagecatch2010:
    imagecityofblindinglights:

On my flight Sunday, the lady behind me changed her toddler's poopy diaper at the seat and then placed the dirty diaper in the seat pocket.  I could smell it because it was the pocket behind my seat.  

DUDE.  Ick!  

• The sad fact is that not all parents give a damn about their kid's behavior. Being out is much more important to them than being courteous. If I want to see a movie and be 100% sure there would be no crying, I would definitely opt for a brat ban movie theater.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"