Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Those that plan to do ERF

If you plan to do ERF (and by that, I mean past the age of 2, and about until the LO reaches the weight/height limit of the seat), do you know anyone else IRL that also plans to do so?

I feel like I am alone in my ERF mindset.  My sister thinks I'm nuts.

My Ovulation Chart

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC #1 since June 2009: irregular cycles
BFP 1/20/10, EDD 9/28/10, born 10/5/10

TTC #2 since Nov 2011:
BFP 2/8/12, MC @ 5 weeks; BFP 3/22/12, MC @ 5 1/2 weeks; BFP 9/10/12, MC @ 6 weeks

Started seeing RE Nov 2012. Chromosomal test and all other tests came back "normal". Unexplained MCs. Found mild hytpothyroidism. Two unmedicated cycles, both BFNs. First medicated cycle (clomid, ovidrel) 1/23/13. Low progesterone found during 9DPO P4 test = 7.6. Put on prometrium supplements.

BFP 2/16/13; 2/18/13 (13 dpo): Beta #1=52.8, progesterone=18.7; estrogen = 412; Dr. increased progesterone dosage.
2/21/13 (16 dpo): Beta #2 = 269; progesterone = 32.4
2/25/13 (20 dpo): Beta #3 = 1,236
2/28/13 (23 dpo): Beta #4 = ?? tbd

Re: Those that plan to do ERF

• Your not the only one getting flack about it. My cousin (whom I am close with) the other day made the comment that I can soon move DD to the front facing position. I shot back that we most definitely will not be forward facing with her until she was at least 2 if not older. She gave me this look like I was crazy when I told her it was the new recommendations she replied well what will she do once her legs get to long. I explained to her that she will figure out what to do with them and it would be fine.
  • No, I'm all alone IRL too.  I get a whole lot of crap from my older sister but she's one of those people who if I do anything different than her, she gets offended and defensive because I'm "attacking" her parenting choices.

Yeah, no. 

however long the night, dawn will break.

• Loading the player...
  • DH and I have discussed it and probably will until he hits the max weight, however, with his size there is a distinct possibility that he may not even make it to his 2nd birthday before surpassing the 40 lb limit.

ETA: I have not talked to anyone about it other than DH, my mother is the other person C gets in a car with and she does whatever we have the carseat set to since it just gets transferred from our car to hers. We do not discuss parenting decisions in any way with anyone else, and we do not invite discussions - I am working on that "were you really expecting me to respond to your idiocy" look.

"We like nothing better than buffing our Zygoma. And imagining a horny time traveling long overcoat purple scarf wearing super sleuth nordic legend fuck fantasy. Get to work on that, internet." Benedict Cumberbatch

GIFSoup 

<a href

• I asked this because I somehow mentioned my internet research on ERF and the safety statistics with my sister this past weekend.  I don't remember how we got on the subject.

But she thinks I'm crazy.  And she said "Well, you won't see anyone else doing it."

My Ovulation Chart

TTC #2 since Nov 2011:
    BFP 2/8/12, MC @ 5 weeks; BFP 3/22/12, MC @ 5 1/2 weeks; BFP 9/10/12, MC @ 6 weeks

Started seeing RE Nov 2012. Chromosomal test and all other tests came back "normal". Unexplained MCs. Found mild hytpothyroidism. Two unmedicated cycles, both BFNs. First medicated cycle (clomid, ovidrel) 1/23/13. Low progesterone found during 9DPO P4 test = 7.6. Put on prometrium supplements.

BFP 2/16/13; 2/18/13 (13 dpo): Beta #1=52.8, progesterone=18.7; estrogen = 412; Dr. increased progesterone dosage.
  • imageCassie730:
    imagecarolinakiwi:

I asked this because I somehow mentioned my internet research on ERF and the safety statistics with my sister this past weekend.  I don't remember how we got on the subject.

But she thinks I'm crazy.  And she said "Well, you won't see anyone else doing it."

Gee that's a kick asss reason not to do something....because the general public hasn't caught on yet. Instead of researching next time I have a decision to make I'm just going to look around and visually observe what "everyone else" is doing and make my decision based on that.

If it makes you feel any better my Mom thought I was crazy to still be RFing until she read a few articles and saw something on the news. Good to know she trusts the media more than her own daughter but whatever works. Now she's on board :-)

Yeah, I'd like to get my sis to read some facts and articles on ERF.

My niece (her middle child) is almost 3 (in Sept), but only weighs about 24 lbs.  She finally weighed 20 pounds around 18 months and stayed 20 lbs until about 2+, and then lately has put on 4 pounds.  She'd be a prime candidate in my opinion for ERF.  She's so petite and still in 24m clothes.

I research most things that have to do with my son.  I want to be knowledgeable.  But my mom and sister get all snarky and say that I "research too much".  And to "get off the internet".  I see their point sometimes, in that parenting is sometimes common sense/parental instinct (e.g. sleeping issues, etc.) instead of always reading what the experts say.  But when it comes to car safety, I have to lean to the experts on this one! :-)

My Ovulation Chart

TTC #2 since Nov 2011:

• I do now, but when I was doing it with DD, I was the only person I knew.

Now, I know a couple family members that do, my neighbor does, and I have 3 or so friends that do.

I do have friends that still look at me like I have 3 heads. I had a friend tell me that we were torturing DD by keeping her rear-facing, and that she would end up having crooked legs, because we were "forcing" her to cross them by keeping her rear-facing.

Said friend also puts her 3 year old in a booster seat. 

I had someone tell me a few months ago that my DS should be forward facing, because he was too big to be rear-facing. He was 9 months old. Her son was about a month younger, and was forward facing. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I actually have no idea.  I've never asked anyone what they are doing or plan to do.  I figure if it works for us it doesn't really matter what they are doing. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageMrsLacy:

No, I'm all alone IRL too.  I get a whole lot of crap from my older sister but she's one of those people who if I do anything different than her, she gets offended and defensive because I'm "attacking" her parenting choices.

Yeah, no. 

OMG, my sister is the same way. We have talked in like a month because of a spanking debate. 

• We have not discussed with anybody our decision to ERF.  He rarely travels in a vehicle that is not our own, and if he does, we are with him and we install the car seat.  So if somebody has a problem with it, then we will just drive him separately rather than car pooling.
    image image

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • In my circle of mommies, this is common.  All my friends have their kids rear facing still.  I don't see what the big deal is.  It's definitely safer.  When I went to the highway patrol to get the seat check out, the officer said to keep her RF as long as possible, even if it's not the law.  He said we'd all be safer if we were rear facing. 

• I plan on keeping my little guy rear facing as long as possible.  He's too long his infant seat, and we got a new seat.  Because he his so long he will, like someone else said, figure out what to do with his legs.  I haven't discussed the issue with anyone, but that's just the way it is.  I said rear facing, I'm the mom, and that's the way it will be.
  • imagewondersgirl:

In my circle of mommies, this is common.  All my friends have their kids rear facing still.  I don't see what the big deal is.  It's definitely safer.  When I went to the highway patrol to get the seat check out, the officer said to keep her RF as long as possible, even if it's not the law.  He said we'd all be safer if we were rear facing. 

Yes

My Ovulation Chart

TTC #2 since Nov 2011:

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"