Cloth Diapering

Cloth is killing me - Experienced mommas welcome

DS is 8 days old and we have only tried 1 entire day with cloth because DH and I just can't figure it out.  We have mostly prefolds and covers because everyone said they were so easy to use...well I hate them.  They're bulky, leaky and take forever to change.  Any advice on easy folds we could try?  The prefolds seriously go to DS's knees.  

Also, any other recommendations for a quick newborn stash? I bought 10 BG AIO's so I guess I'll be doing laundry every day if I don't hurry up and find something. 

Thank you so much for any advice!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Cloth is killing me - Experienced mommas welcome

• Almost anything will be bulky on an itty bitty baby, they are just so tiny then. You could try BG AIO XS or lil joeys byt Rumparooz (though I would go with the BGxs AIOs). Also try KL0s with covers (though they will still be bulky on an new baby).

If nothing else, give cloth a break for a little bit and come back to it when he is bigger and fits into OS diapers. That way you dontget so frustrated and give up completely. GL!

• bgf1bgf1 member
    I loved prefolds and covers in the new born stage.  We stored all of the diapers trifolded, and then just pulled the back corners out, folded the front down and secured the back corners to the front of the diaper using a snappi.  They are bulkier than sposies, and you will get quicker at changing then, however they shouldn't leak.  Have you been folding them down in the front to adjust the rise?  Also where are they leaking if it is up the top are you making sure DS's penis is pointing down?  And finally are they prepped?  Sorry if the last two are stupid questions but without seeing what you are doing it is hard to know why they are leaking.  GL
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • We did prefolds and covers exclusively for DS when he was a newborn.  They're easy once you get the hang of them, but there is definitely a learning curve and it's HARD when you're sleep deprived and trying to get the hang of taking care of a newborn to begin with.  DS was 6 lbs 7 oz, and the prefolds (GMD orange edge newborn sized) did indeed come down to his knees.  They looked huge.  In hindsight, though, it still seems like he outgrew them really fast.

What kind of fold/closure are you using?  We started off just trifolding them and laying them in the covers.  You get more poop on covers that way, but it was easier for us when we were super sleep deprived.  You say they're leaky, too; do you mean the covers are getting dirty often, or do you mean there's pee/poop leaking out of the covers?  What kind of covers are you using? Can you try picking up a Thirsties XS or something with gussets?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DH would only use prefolds if I had them "loaded" in the bummis super whisper wrap covers - those ones have a tab at the front that you can poke the prefold into, and then it kind of automatically does an angel wing fold.

Most of my stash was GMD infant fitteds w/ bsww covers or thristies duos. I got them because I got a used deal cheap, but they worked well. They were still pretty big on a small bum, though. It's kind of just how it is. LO never cared. 

So easy solution: try the bummis covers. We did also have some AIOs (Mum's Bums, which I've never heard anyone else mention) that we used overnight. Two things was just too hard to put on at 4 am.

• I had a hard time too and just used gDiapers with Gerber prefolds instead of their inserts, which worked great and kept me from spending all my time doing laundry. I didn't have any leaks with these and they were super trim. Lots of people on here do not like gDiapers but I loved them with my sytem when ds was so tiny. People thought he was wearing a disposable even. Once he outgrew those it was then easier to go to the traditional prefolds or fitteds with covers.

• I hated them at first too. You will get used to them. We only tri fold now. SO easy. Also go up a size in onesies...when they are really tight the dipe appears bulkier. I am already used to them less than 2 weeks later....

Plus as LO grows the diaper wont look so big. Don't give up ;) I had remorse at first too but totally love them now.

• Smartipants fit my friends 9 pound baby well.
    image BabyFruit Ticker
  • I will go against everyone one else and say I HATE prefolds with a passion.  They are definitely not for everyone.

How big is your little guy?

SoftBums fit DS around 7.5lbs.  Thirsties Duo size 1 (pocket) fit DS just shy of 8lbs and best bottoms fit at just over 8lbs. 

• Youtube has videos on all different types of folds. I'd check that out.

nb prefolds are going to be bulky.

Try some KL0s or other nb fitteds.

• I used fuzzibunz xs (loved them), a happy heiny sm, some xs prefolds with covers. Hang in there, buy used (check craigslist, diaper swappers and spots). It's worth it! :-)
  • Do you have a local store?  I'd say get 8 or so fitteds.  We found them easiest for NB phase.  PFs overwhelmed DH & I initially also.  And seemed so bulky like you mention.  I didn't actually become comfortable using PFs until DD was like 9-10 mo old & I revisted them.  Now I like them & would use them on a future NB, but I hear what you are saying.

We liked KL0s for NB phase.  Next time we will use GM NBs also.  If you are interested I have a few NIP NB GM fitteds I could part with.

DD1 born 5/24/10.

Missed M/C at 14 wks Feb 2012.

DD2 born 5/14/13.

Missed M/C at 9 wks July 2015.

Expecting someone new 4/17/17.
  • I prefer fitted on a newborn.  I sew my own diapers and I am making my stash from the free Darling Diapers pattern.  Prefolds can be bulky even the tiniest prefolds.  Dont give up yet.  There are lots of options out there.  I know tons of WAHM that sell diapers on Etsy and Hyena Cart.  I personally dont sell diapers "yet" because I am to busy with my 3 kids and trying to rebuild my newborn stash. 

• It took me a while to try our prefolds since we had a large newborn stash, but once I did, I LOVED them.  We used a bikini twist fold with a snappi and never had a leak.
    Married to my best friend 6/5/10
    BFP #1 9/7/10, EDD 5/14/11, Violet born 5/27/11.
    BFP #2 4/9/12, EDD 12/16/12, M/C Rory 4/24/12.
    BFP #3 10/6/12, EDD 6/16/12., Matilda born 6/17/13.
  • imagenicole0719:

Almost anything will be bulky on an itty bitty baby, they are just so tiny then. You could try BG AIO XS or lil joeys byt Rumparooz (though I would go with the BGxs AIOs). Also try KL0s with covers (though they will still be bulky on an new baby).

If nothing else, give cloth a break for a little bit and come back to it when he is bigger and fits into OS diapers. That way you dontget so frustrated and give up completely. GL!

The BG XS AIOs are the next plan on action.  We're also doing some sposies at night so we don't lose our momentum.  I was just so excited to use cloth and it kind of bummed me out that it didn't work for us.

• imagebgf1:
    I loved prefolds and covers in the new born stage.  We stored all of the diapers trifolded, and then just pulled the back corners out, folded the front down and secured the back corners to the front of the diaper using a snappi.  They are bulkier than sposies, and you will get quicker at changing then, however they shouldn't leak.  Have you been folding them down in the front to adjust the rise?  Also where are they leaking if it is up the top are you making sure DS's penis is pointing down?  And finally are they prepped?  Sorry if the last two are stupid questions but without seeing what you are doing it is hard to know why they are leaking.  GL

The prefolds were used so I stripped them and did an extra wash just to be safe.  I make sure his penis points down and we fold it down to adjust the rise.  They aren't stupid questions lol I never thought about doing them before I learned to CD so I'm sure many people overlook them.  Thank you for trying to help!

• imagebethandjoe09:

We did prefolds and covers exclusively for DS when he was a newborn.  They're easy once you get the hang of them, but there is definitely a learning curve and it's HARD when you're sleep deprived and trying to get the hang of taking care of a newborn to begin with.  DS was 6 lbs 7 oz, and the prefolds (GMD orange edge newborn sized) did indeed come down to his knees.  They looked huge.  In hindsight, though, it still seems like he outgrew them really fast.

What kind of fold/closure are you using?  We started off just trifolding them and laying them in the covers.  You get more poop on covers that way, but it was easier for us when we were super sleep deprived.  You say they're leaky, too; do you mean the covers are getting dirty often, or do you mean there's pee/poop leaking out of the covers?  What kind of covers are you using? Can you try picking up a Thirsties XS or something with gussets?

We use Thirsties XS and Bummis.  I'll have to try the tri-fold and maybe it'll work better for us - I mean he actually gets pee on his clothes somehow.

• Thank you everyone for all of your help and advice!  We're going to try the tri-fold and sposies at night.  I guess now I just can't wait for the AIO's to get here so we can try those. 

Seriously, thanks again, you ladies are so helpful on this board!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"