3rd Trimester

Membrane stripping? Have you had one?

This is my 2nd PG and Wednesday I will be 40 weeks.  I am thinking of having my membranes stripped and am wondering if it is worth it.  Last time around i went a week overdue, but I wasn't this uncomfotable.  Seriously.  LO is soooo low that it is hard for me to even walk around the house!  I am 1-2 cm dialated and last week was already 70% effaced.  The Dr (who was not my reg. ob) said that he could feel the baby's head through my cervix. 

Do you think it'll work?  Did you have one?  What was it like?  Did it work? 

Re: Membrane stripping? Have you had one?

• I had that done with my first on my due date when I was 1.5 cm dilated and 80% effaced.  It was uncomfortable to have it done but I went into labor about 5 hours later which was wonderful.  I cannot be sure that is exactly why I went into labor but will have that done again this time if the situation is right.

Good luck

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • With DS1 I had it done the day of my due date. He wasn't born for another four days after, so I can't say if it helped or not.  I honestly can't remember if it was uncomfortable or not.

DS2 was born on his due date, so the doctor never had to do that. 

BabyFruit TickerLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers image image
  • Loading the player...
  • I had it done at 39w4d, I was 1.5cm 50% effaced.  Doc just did it.  I lost my MP two days later.  Today is DD but I am still pregnant.

It didn't really hurt, just a bit uncomfortable.  

• imagetrinavenard:

I had that done with my first on my due date when I was 1.5 cm dilated and 80% effaced.  It was uncomfortable to have it done but I went into labor about 5 hours later which was wonderful.  I cannot be sure that is exactly why I went into labor but will have that done again this time if the situation is right.

Good luck

This is what I am hoping for.  I have roughly the same stats as you did, so hopefully it works!

• I had it done for the 1st time last week at 3cm 50% effaced and did not go into labor, but had contractions that hurt.  I went back to the Dr today and she did it again, so we shall see.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • kxp004kxp004 member
    I had it done at 41 weeks 3 days, ~2 cm... started having contractions immediately and went into active labor 7 hours later
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Photobucket
  • I had it done 3x with my 1st and I'd say that it depends on the doc who does on how much it hurts.  My doc did it for the first 2 times and it was ok, then I had a fill-in doc and i almost climbed up the wall and bled a TON!  Can't really say that it was this as I was ordered to go for a 3 HOUR WALK afterwards but it helped for sure!
    Our little man ... BabyFruit Ticker

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker
    Free Disney Tickers
  • I had it with both of my previous pregnancies, when I was 100% effaced and 3-4cm dilated. And then... still ended up being induced with both kids. :) I've heard it works for some people, might as well try it! I'd also describe it as uncomfortable, not painful. 
  • I had mine stripped at my 39 week appt. with DD.  I remember it being uncomfortable and I started cramping a lot afterwards.  I was super hopeful that it would work, but DD still arrived a day past my due date.  It's worth a try, but I wouldn't get my hopes up too much.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding.
    In all your ways acknowledge Him,and He shall direct your paths.
    Proverbs 3:5-6

• I had mine done last week and will again this weds. I had some spotting afterwards and a few contractions. It was uncomfortable but did not hurt, felt like an aggressive pap. I also lost my MP 2 days later, not sure if it was related to the sweep. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I had my membranes stripped with DD#1 and it didn't really do anything.  She was 3 days late.  With DD#2, I had my membranes stripped in early labor because my contractions had stalled, and it immediately got things going again!  My friend (who delivered Wed) had her's done the day before labor started.  It's uncomfortable while it's being done, but I think the potential benefits are worth it.  I'd do it again.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers >Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers
  • I just got back from my 'overdue' appointment and my dr stripped my membranes today for the first time.  It was not comfortable, but only took 20 seconds or so, and I've had spotting and cramping since.  We scheduled an induction for Fri (41W, 1 D), and the dr said its a 50/50 chance the membrane stripping could kick start labor on its own so I said to go for it.  I'm 2cm and mostly effaced, I figure its worth a shot and preferred over the Pitocin I'll be getting otherwise on Friday.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"