Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

16 Months - Worried!~

My 16 mo. old daughter is still not walking!! She uses everything around her but when she really wants to take off she still buckles to her knees and starts crawling :( I want her to walk because I am 5 weeks pregnant and she's 26 pounds! I really shouldnt be lifting her all the time - suggestions!?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: 16 Months - Worried!~

• Options

My son didn't start walking independently until 18 months.  He cruised and crawled forever.

Anyway, to encourage him to walk, DH and I played "toss the baby". I suppose some people will accuse us of child abuse right now...

We would sit  in chairs a few feet apart and face each other.  One of us would stand up DS and the other would reach out to grab him.  We just kind of walked/launched him back and forth.  He loved it.  I have no idea if it helped him learn to be an independent walker or not.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    It really just does depend on them...Being pregnant do you ever worry that your baby is too heavy to pick-up, or do you pick him up anyway? Congrats by the way!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

My Ped. told me the majority of kids don't start until 15 months so 16 months doesn't seem concerning.  I know it's frustrating since you're pregnant, but if you're used to lifting her than it shouldn't be an issue of safety during pregnancy unless you already have a bad back or something.  I'm 10 weeks pregnant and I still lift weights safely (with my Dr.'s permission) because my body is used to it. 

• Options
    My daughter didn't walk until 17.5 months.  I never thought she'd do it, but then one day she just did! 
  • Options

imagepageme12:
    It really just does depend on them...Being pregnant do you ever worry that your baby is too heavy to pick-up, or do you pick him up anyway? Congrats by the way!

I understand your worry about picking up a toddler due to weight however my sister is 34wks pg and happily picks up her 2yr old all the time. Hes 32-33lbs.

• Options

When I got pg w/DS2, DS1 hadn't started walking yet (he didn't start walking until 16 months so I was about 4 mos pg).  My OB had no concern about me lifting him.  She said unless I was high risk (I wasn't), it really shouldn't be an issue.

• Options

imagepageme12:

Thanks.

No, he's not too heavy to lift, I guess he's about 26 lbs.  I was fairly physically active until the 7th month of his pregnancy - walking, camping, light hiking, etc.  I figure lifting a toddler won't be a problem until the middle of the third tri, maybe 34 weeks-ish.

• Options
    Thank you everyone!
  • Options

My DS is nearly 16 months and still not walking.  He just since Memorial weekend started getting into a sitting position by himself and then crawling until then he was a slug pretty much.  He is pulling up on everything now and crawling all over; it's just a matter of time before he will walk.  My DD never crawled and didn't walk until 14 months and only then because the babysitter held a sucker out to her.  

I wouldn't worry too much. She'll get it sooner or later. 

• Options
    llc730llc730 member

My DD didn't even crawl til after 1 yr. She was barely pulling up at her 15 mo pedi appt. Once she started pulling up we started the "walk between mama and daddy" game to encourage her. Started with just a couple steps and gradually moved farther apart. We never pushed and only did it when she wanted to. She started walking independently the day after she turned 17 months and hasn't looked back. If you DD is pulling up and cruising a ton and just not letting go it is probably a confidence thing. As soon as she decides she can do it she will be off and running.

BTW I am an RN and also pg with #2. There is NO reason, unless you are high risk, that you shouldn't be able to pick up your DD.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"