TTC after 35

IVF cancelled :(

Well we were unsuccessful with our first IVF.  After 11 days of stimming I only had 3 follicles 17, 15, and 14.  Doctor told me that our best bet is with donor eggs and that he does not suggest trying again with my eggs.  I walked out of the office thinking of young friends with children that I could get to donate eggs but then asked why we could not try an IUI.  Why do I have to give up just yet?  My doctor agreed to give it a shot, "he has seen stranger things happen."  So, I trigger on Sunday and go in on Monday for one last chance.  Holding on to every last thread of hope I can.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: IVF cancelled :(

• mkwtmkwt member
    Oh I wish you the very best!!!
  • I hope it was ok to post here.  I just don't want to see you so sad - I don't know your diagnosis or age, but I am surprised to hear your IVF was cancelled.  I was told most portocols around the country rquired 3 follicles or they would cancel.  I never heard of requiring more than that.  Have you chatted with your doctor about it?

Even with only a few follicles, you can get pregnant. I'm living proof of that.  I did 4 IVFs (two for each child) and I had 3 follicles every time except my last (when a 4th follicle popped up).   

Again, I don't know your diagnosis or age but I was 40 and 43 when I got pregnant and I only made 3-4 follicles.  The most eggs they ever got were 7 (6 all the other times).  I got pregnant 2x and had 2 healthy babies.   The number is only part of the equation.  You could have good quality eggs but just not make a lot. 

I wish you luck!!!!

3 IUI's and 2 IVF's later- Brady arrived. Born at 36 weeks after PUPPS and pre-e/HELLP.
    IUI- BFN IVF #1 -BFP! Allie is our 2nd IVF baby. Born at 36 1/2 weeks after pre-e again
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

• Loading the player...
  • I'm so sorry to hear that!  I sure hope that it works out on Monday!
  • I don't believe it was cancelled because of the number of follicles but because they just were not growing.  When I went in on Monday for the first check they were 14, 13, and 13.  I was really excited at that point, but Wednesday they were 16,14, and 13 in size.

That is why I just hate giving up right now and I am a little annoyed that he did not suggest IUI when talking with him this morning.  I have been taking $$$ in meds and you want me to just call it a wash.

I understand that more than likely we will not be successful but I have to try everything.

Thank you for your well wishes and I am keeping my thoughts positive at this point.

• I am so sorry.  I just had my cycle canceled and converted to IUI a few weeks ago because I only had two follicles.  I know how awful it feels.  Can I ask was this your first IVF cycle or how many you have done.  I am going to meet with my RE on Monday and I am afraid that I am going to get the same news.  I am also not ready to give up yet.
  • This was our first IVF cycle with no previous experiences with IUI.  Going into the cycle we knew things were stacked against us.  My FSH level was 17.5 and I turned 40 on July 6th, not that my age has much to do with the whole thing.

I had a feeling that donor eggs would be our only choice and have been thinking about it from the very beginning.... I believe we have a possible donor, a distant family member that will be willing to help us out.  We have met our out of pocket for this year and our insurance is wonderful and will cover all medical costs for a donor.  So with that being said I hope that we are able to have a successful IVF yet this year.

I am not too hopeful for the IUI but my husband is so I am trying to stay positive and hope to be surprised.  My thoughts are with you on Monday.  I made my DH go to work this morning and he is feeling bad for doing so.  He has so many questions that I did not even think of at the time.  Take your DH with you and keep an open mind... 

• imageMrs.Fuel09:

I don't believe it was cancelled because of the number of follicles but because they just were not growing.  When I went in on Monday for the first check they were 14, 13, and 13.  I was really excited at that point, but Wednesday they were 16,14, and 13 in size.

That is why I just hate giving up right now and I am a little annoyed that he did not suggest IUI when talking with him this morning.  I have been taking $$$ in meds and you want me to just call it a wash.

I understand that more than likely we will not be successful but I have to try everything.

Thank you for your well wishes and I am keeping my thoughts positive at this point.

I swear - you sound JUST like me.  I was such a slow stimmer.  I think the last time I ended up stimming for 14 days.  And like I said, at the last second, 2 more follicles grew.  They thought I would only have 2 measurable ones.  Sometimes those few extra days can make a difference. 

What protocols were you on?  Can they do a more aggressive one?  I agree it is a lot of money- I had an IVF converted to an IUI one of the times I did it and I know how hard it is to think you're throwing the money away.  I tried to put a spin on it that it is trial and error and now we can rule out one protocol that didn't work for me and we'll do something more aggressive.  It was just an expensive learning experience!  The next time I really pushed to have my RE go all for it and do the most aggressive protocols possible. 

I wish you luck on your IUI - but stop thinking it's more than likely you won't be successful.  You never know - never give up!   

3 IUI's and 2 IVF's later- Brady arrived. Born at 36 weeks after PUPPS and pre-e/HELLP.
    IUI- BFN IVF #1 -BFP! Allie is our 2nd IVF baby. Born at 36 1/2 weeks after pre-e again
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

• I have been through this, and know how heartbreaking this can be.  We fired our RE when he cancelled our cycle on about Day 10 of stims due to "poor response."  We were totally blindsided and didn't even know that it was coming.  Next IVF cycle, with a different RE, we did have one perfect 8 cell embryo to transfer on Day 3.  Know that I'll never produce 8-10 eggs in a given month.  But-who cares?....it only takes one.  I am also currently cycling.  We had 4 eggs ranging from 8-15mm this morning.  They have all grown since my last check on Tuesday---hoping that that my Estradiol level keeps up.  Waiting for a call from the nurse, it's almost 6pm and she hasn't yet called.  I have a number that I can call if no call from her by 6pm.  I think the REs don't like to cycle women that are older, cause they cann't get 10-12 eggs.  Not enough lottery tickets to make the winning ticket likely in a given cycle.  Hang in there and do what you think is best for your family.  I know that we are not interested in DE, and were offended when he brought up the idea so quickly after only a portion of a cycle.  Average woman stims for 12 days, lucky number is lead embryo reaching 18.   Hope that you first IUI is your lucky IUI!
    TTC since 10/09 Me-43 DH-44 RE and testing 10/10-11/10, Recommending IVF 1/11 New RE AMA and DOR-DH low motility IVF #1.1 cancelled 3/11 due to poor response IVF #1.2 May 2011, one perfect 8-cell embryo, 3dt-BFN, IVF #2.1 Converted to IUI d/t poor response. New RE 9/2011. IVF 2.2 completed using HGH,EPP,DHEA, Q-10 and accupuncture. Transferred one 8-cell, grade one embryo on 10/19. BFP 10/31/11 Chemical pregancy on 11/2/11. Started stims for IVF #3, our final try, on 12-2-11. ET on 12/18. Transferred 3 Grade A embryos-BFFN Planning DE IVF, late March/early April- Donors ER expected to be 4/2-4/4. PAIF/SAIF welcome
  • imageMrs.Fuel09:

This was our first IVF cycle with no previous experiences with IUI.  Going into the cycle we knew things were stacked against us.  My FSH level was 17.5 and I turned 40 on July 6th, not that my age has much to do with the whole thing.

I had a feeling that donor eggs would be our only choice and have been thinking about it from the very beginning.... I believe we have a possible donor, a distant family member that will be willing to help us out.  We have met our out of pocket for this year and our insurance is wonderful and will cover all medical costs for a donor.  So with that being said I hope that we are able to have a successful IVF yet this year.

I am not too hopeful for the IUI but my husband is so I am trying to stay positive and hope to be surprised.  My thoughts are with you on Monday.  I made my DH go to work this morning and he is feeling bad for doing so.  He has so many questions that I did not even think of at the time.  Take your DH with you and keep an open mind... 

Thank you for your kind words.  My FSH is even higher than yours 18.8 and I turned 39 in April.  I am surprised that your RE didn't have you stim longer to see if the follicles would grow.  I stimed for 17 days to see if another follicle would grow but it never did.  The two I had were good sized.  I don't know.  I am really scared for the appointment on Monday.  DH is coming with me but he doesn't believe that the RE will say we shouldn't do another cycle.  He is eternally optimistic and then get's blindsided when things don't work. :( Anyway, best of luck to you.  Please keep us/me posted. 

• Thank you for all your kind words... please don't think that I am not grateful for the IUI because I am very happy that we are at least trying this and I hope to be eating my words in 2 weeks!

• Wishing you all the best for your IUI! Sounds like you are getting a lot of good advice. Best of luck!

• Ugh! I am so sorry you got cancelled. My FSH is almost exactly yours so I hate hearing this. Myrkain-gl with your meeting. Mrs Fuel, can you see another doctor to Try again? What protocol did you do? Jillally, what was your protocol? I am doing EPP. Hugs. This just sucks.

TTC #1 since 8/1/10; Me:41 and BRCA1+, DH:46
    DOR (FSH 24.3)/ terrible egg quality ; homozygous MTHFR c677t
    5 IUI's: 2/11 to 6/11 and 1/12= BFN
    OE IVF#1-4 8/11-6/12= all BFN
    DE IVF#1 11/12 bad embryos= BFN
    DE IVF #2 2/13 BFP/Beta hell: m/c 5w6d
    CFNBC 7 months, not doing well; decided on guarantee program at RBA w/frozen DE
    DE IVF #3 1/14  ET 4BB; BFP;M/C 5w1d, incomplete m/c; MVA extraction in ER 7w1d

DE FET#1 ET 3/1714; BFP, beta 1 3/27= 197, beta 2 3/31= 1586, beta 3 4/7= 13879!!
    First u/s= Twins with HBs at 6w2d! We are Team Pink x 2!!

K & K born 11/21/14 at 38wks 4 days

imageimage

SAIF/PAIF Welcome

http://waitingforraintostop.wordpress.com

• I'm sorry you got canceled, but I hope the IUI is a success!
    TTC #1 since June 2010
    Me: 36, DH: 42
    Dx: DOR and MFI

DH: low count + very low motility; hormones all normal; Sperm DNA Frag. test = poor to fair; male karyotyping normal
    Me: FSH 13.4 + AMH 0.26 + hypothyroidism; Scratch the hypothyrodism (?); Blood clotting and immune panel all negative; endometrial biopsy normal

IVF #1 (MDLF - Jul/Aug 2011): BFN (9R, 5M, 3F with ICSI, 3dt of 1 10-cell grade 2, no frosties)
    IVF #2 (EP-antagonist - Sep/Oct 2011): BFN (6R, 4M, 3F w/ ICSI, 3dt of 1 6-cell, 1 7-cell, grade 4s, no frosties)
    DE IVF #1 (shared cycle - June 2012): c/p (6R, 6F w/ICSI, 3dt 1 8-cell grade A- and 1 7-cell grade A-; no frosties)
    DE IVF #2 (shared cycle with new donor - Nov/Dec/ 2012): - BFP!!!!! 12/14/12. U/S on 12/27 shows twins!!!!!

SAIFW/PAIFW
  • I'm so sorry. The ladies seem to giving you good advice. Hopefully the IUI will work and you won't need it.

• I know that different protocols helpt with producing more follicles or better eggs.  has your doc talked to you about changing protocols??

sometimes it makes a hugeeeeeeeeeeee difference. and they say DHEA could help make better quality ones.

get a second opionion.  it could help..

Best wishes for you!!

image image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"