Baby Showers

Money Tree at a Shower?

PLEASE, don't get on here and post if you're just going to troll and tell me im tacky ....  there's backstory ok?   My husband was unemployed for over two years and has a small job now but we are just now getting a savings built up again (like not even over 1000 yet and dd will be here in two months) we REALLY need essentials for our baby not the cutesy stuff you usually get at showers.  

So my mother and sister and m-i-l are throwing me and my husband a baby shower (it's our first)  and most of the things we need for the baby can't be bought at target or wal-mart, like cloth diapers for instance.  My cousin who has a one year old and is wonderful donated all her old baby clothes to me so we're set on all the cutesy stuff, we're going to co-sleep (so we don't need crib type stuff), we are very frugal and practical and will be raising our daughter without all the so called "essential baby gear" because we really can't afford that.  Please don't judge that's just how we've had to survive for the past 2+ years and how we will have to for awhile longer as well.  That's how ppl lived back in the day and that's how we survive.

SO, my question is, I know ppl get all bent out of shape about baby shower etiquette, has anyone done or encountered anything similar, and if so how did it go?

Also, is there a "polite" way to mention a money tree on an invitation?  I had thought about putting something along the lines of: Mom and Dad aren't registered anywhere but would love gifts of baby essentials and donations of money to help cover the costs of cloth diapering........   i dunno, someone suggested to me that a cute poem would make it less "rude" to ask for something specific.  

what do you think? 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Money Tree at a Shower?

• Asking people for money is never okay. People are already coming to your shower and bringing gifts, and you're going to shake them down for cash, too? 

A cute poem NEVER makes something less rude.  

I am sorry that you are in tough financial circumstances, but you and your husband chose to have a child despite your financial situation. 

Good for you for knowing that you don't need a million gadgets and gizmos for your child. Register for what you need.  Return things that people buy you that you don't need.  Use Craigslist, garage sales and flea markets to buy what you don't receive.  My mom is the master of flea markets and garage sales.  Our daughter has so many toys that my mom picked up for really cheap that are like new.  

But please, for the love of all that is holy, do NOT ask your friends and family for money.  Ever. It is not okay. Even less okay when they are already bringing a gift.

A shower is a celebration for the mom to be, not a fundraiser.

• This is never appropriate at a shower.  I feel like it is in even poorer taste to explain to your guests that it is because of your financial situation that you are making the request.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imagedanilynn17:

I am sorry that you are in tough financial circumstances, but you and your husband chose to have a child despite your financial situation. 

This.  Your story does nothing to change my mind that asking for money is RUDE.  You're so fricking broke that you have to ask people to give you money, but yet you think having a child is a smart financial move? 

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• The fact that you so frequently asked people not to flame you for this implies you already know what the answer to your question will be.

It's very admirable that you are going to make it through your tough time with the bare essentials- most people would buy to the moon and back on credit and never be able to pay it off.  You're smart enough to realize you can raise your baby without all the extras.

However, it's simply not okay to ask for cash, period.  I would put together a small registry of JUST the essentials (btw, a lot of places DO sell cloth diapers that you can register for).  Then you're at least giving your guests a selection and directing them to a specific store.  You can then return whatever you don't need and get other things you might need more, instead. 

• You CAN register for cloth diapers.  I registered at diapers.com.  

Also-MH and I are in the same situation as you and your DH, but I would NEVER ask for money. 

• I agree with PPs that you shouldn't ask for money. However, I see nothing wrong with registering for the essentials you mention and am not sure why you don't think they sell them in stores. I just saw cloth diapers at Walmart yesterday, and they certainly have other necessary items like a carseat, diaper creams, bottles, swaddle blankets, etc. Not to mention their prices are very reasonable, so I bet you'd get a good deal of what you need if you register there.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageEastCoastBride:
    imagedanilynn17:

This.  Your story does nothing to change my mind that asking for money is RUDE.  You're so fricking broke that you have to ask people to give you money, but yet you think having a child is a smart financial move? 

Thanks for the financial responsibility chat, but since neither of you know me I might add that my pregnancy was not planned, I'd been on bc for over 3 years and never missed a pill.  I find it funny you can be so judgmental while lecturing me about being rude. 

• A baby needs a safe place to sleep (please don't say your bed), clean clothes, diapers, food and minimal feeding accessories, and +/- carseat/carrier/stroller.  Everything else is just icing on the cake.  There is no graceful way to ask for money but you can create a registry where you have specific cloth diapers listed as a suggestion.  You can do it through amazon's universal registry or several other sites.  And you made it sound like you're not working, which means it can be your job to find cheap second hand essentials that you need.

Most of us have money trouble at some point in our lives and having a child definitely adds to the strain.   But there's no way to ask for a cash hand-out from friends and family without coming across as tacky, poems or prose.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imageMamaHerman:

You CAN register for cloth diapers.  I registered at diapers.com.  

Also-MH and I are in the same situation as you and your DH, but I would NEVER ask for money. 

thanks, I'll have to check that out. :)  The only reason I would hesitate to do something like that is I know most of my family would rather give me something that day (even if it is money) than ordering stuff from online. 

• Even if you are living on the streets, it is not okay to do this.  It sounds like you've already come up with some great ways to cut costs.  The only way to get people to help you out financially is to start complaining about how little money you have.  But that might just get on people's nerves too.  It sounds like you are very overwhelmed with your finances and the idea that your baby is coming so soon.  Try to take a deep breath and relax.  Money will come.   You will find ways to save.  Hospital bills will probably be the most expensive thing.  I think our out of pocket expenses were about $4000 per kid (I had a c section so that might make it more).  I think most hospitals will work with you and let you make payments.  Also, if you are in a temporary situation with work and need money, there are programs to help you and your family, like food banks and other things.  It's okay to ask for help.  Does anyone in your family have some money they can lend you if you need it?  Also, about the essentials, keep talking to people.  See if you borrow a swing, bouncy seat, and other things that you need.  My DH and I shop consignment sales a lot.  You can get some really good deals.  We bought our swing on CL and it works fine.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageosnola88:
    Thanks for the financial responsibility chat, but since neither of you know me I might add that my pregnancy was not planned, I'd been on bc for over 3 years and never missed a pill.  I find it funny you can be so judgmental while lecturing me about being rude. 

True or false: it is the parents responsibility to take care of and provide for their child?

I'm not being judgmental. I'm stating a fact.  If you think your family and friends is obligated to financially bail you out of the situation you got yourself into (I don't care if it was an accident- you have sex, you run the risk of getting pregnant. As you now know, no BC method is 100% effective).

Damn straight that I am judging you on being so entitled so as to think that you can receive gifts from friends and family, AND ASK FOR MONEY from them, too. And yes, I am judging you b/c you think that a cutesy poem alleviates the rudeness.  That's ridiculous, no matter what your circumstances are.  If you're that desperate, there are a ton of social service agencies out there that can help you.

• imageosnola88:
    we're going to co-sleep (so we don't need crib type stuff)

Where is the baby going to nap?

• imageosnola88:
    imageMamaHerman:

thanks, I'll have to check that out. :)  The only reason I would hesitate to do something like that is I know most of my family would rather give me something that day (even if it is money) than ordering stuff from online. 

Using a registry like diapers.com or a universal registry like amazon doesn't mean they can't 'give you' something that day.  They have it shipped to their own house and wrap it for you for the shower.  That simple.

• imagedanilynn17:

imageosnola88:

Please read up on co-sleeping and make sure you do it SAFELY.  Not just putting the baby in your bed w/ you w/ no safety measures. 

~Benjamin Franklin

• imageEastCoastBride:
    imagedanilynn17:

imageosnola88:

Please read up on co-sleeping and make sure you do it SAFELY.  Not just putting the baby in your bed w/ you w/ no safety measures. 

Not to mention that co-sleeping may not work for them.  It would never work in my house.  DH moves around a ton in his sleep, and I am a light sleeper who loves covers and pillows.

• imagedanilynn17:

imageosnola88:

True or false: it is the parents responsibility to take care of and provide for their child?

I'm not being judgmental. I'm stating a fact.  If you think your family and friends is obligated to financially bail you out of the situation you got yourself into (I don't care if it was an accident- you have sex, you run the risk of getting pregnant. As you now know, no BC method is 100% effective).

Damn straight that I am judging you on being so entitled so as to think that you can receive gifts from friends and family, AND ASK FOR MONEY from them, too. And yes, I am judging you b/c you think that a cutesy poem alleviates the rudeness.  That's ridiculous, no matter what your circumstances are.  If you're that desperate, there are a ton of social service agencies out there that can help you.

Look, I'm not trying to pick a fight, I just got on here to ask a question and I don't think it's right for ppl to bring the hammer down, so to speak, on someone they know nothing about.  

Yes, it is my responsibility to care for my child.  No, I do not think it is anyone's responsibility to bail me out of anything, I'm an adult and have done well enough thus far in my life.  I don't think I am entitled to anything in life (being unemployed for 2+ years should be enough to teach anyone that).  I was only asking a question but your tone implies you are mortally appalled that I even asked and I resent that, that's what these boards are for, asking questions. sheesh!

• imageweddingbells2010:
    imageosnola88:
    imageMamaHerman:

Using a registry like diapers.com or a universal registry like amazon doesn't mean they can't 'give you' something that day.  They have it shipped to their own house and wrap it for you for the shower.  That simple.

oh, haha, duh.  brain fart moment.  I will definitely have to check that out then. thanks! 

• imageosnola88:

Yes, it is my responsibility to care for my child.  No, I do not think it is anyone's responsibility to bail me out of anything, I'm an adult and have done well enough thus far in my life.  I don't think I am entitled to anything in life (being unemployed for 2+ years should be enough to teach anyone that).  I was only asking a question but your tone implies you are mortally appalled that I even asked and I resent that, that's what these boards are for, asking questions. sheesh!

Oh come on.  Dont' start back-peddling now.  Your OP asks about how to tell people you're doing a money tree.  Not "is it o.k. to do one?". It's "how do I tell people I'm doing one?". 

So yes, this does make you seem to feel that you EXPECT others (i.e. entitled) to help you out.  If you didn't, you wouldn't even be considering a money tree.

~Benjamin Franklin

• Maybe you can create a diapers.com registry and then have a very small registry at Target for those that do not shop online? You will need diaper wipes, diaper cream, a carseat, baby tylenol (and the like) and likely a few other items that you could add to a Target registry. You can also register for target giftcards (some people find this tacky, but I have often given a gift card when I see them on a baby registry).

Good luck. I'm sure you are already saving as much as you can - keep it up! 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageEastCoastBride:
    imagedanilynn17:

imageosnola88:

I have read extensively on the subject  :)  as for naps we are saving up to get a pack-n-play bassinet/playpen thing. 

• imageosnola88:

Look, I'm not trying to pick a fight, I just got on here to ask a question and I don't think it's right for ppl to bring the hammer down, so to speak, on someone they know nothing about.  

What don't we know about? I know plenty about how asking for money is rude.  It doesn't matter what your situation is - it's rude in any circumstance.  

BTW, you can't dictate how people respond to your posts.  If you're not prepare to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly, don't post on a public message board. Particularly when you already know that what you want to do is highly frowned upon.

• imageEstwd2:

Yeah, sorry OP, but I have to agree with the other ladies here. Your backstory doesn't help your case at all. Don't do the money tree. Do exactly what everyone else is suggesting - register for what you need (and geez I hope that includes some kind of sleeping device for your LO), return/sell what you don't want, and bargain hunt for the rest.

Random thought from my soapbox - It bothers the heck out of me when people say/imply that it's somehow okay or they shouldn't be blamed for having an "unplanned pregnancy" during tough financial times when they can't really afford a baby. Sex = babies, plain and simple. If you can't afford a baby, then don't have sex, even with the BC. And if you choose to have sex, then please God don't say, "But it was unplanned and I was on BC, so I'm not really irresponsible." Okay, stepping off my soapbox now.

All of this and I'm going to take it one step further so prepare to hate me-

An unplanned pregnancy does not have to equal raising a child you can't afford.  Abortion would have been a perfectly safe, legal option at the beginning of your pregnancy.  You clearly decided against that, but adoption is still an option.

I'm not saying that you should give your child up, what I am saying is that you had and have other options, so don't pretend it's ok to ask other people for money.  If you're going to keep this baby that means accepting responsibility.  Be thankful that you are having a shower and for whatever gifts you get, do not ask your guests for money.  Plain & simple, it is never ok.

image Grayson's side-eye
  • Ok everyone, I get it.  I did know when I posted that some ppl think it's rude but I also know of others that aren't bothered by it at all and I was curious what the latter might suggest.  I guess I didn't expect everyone's reactions to be so bothered by it across the board and I don't feel like arguing over the internet about my life choice of not abstaining from sex with my husband for two entire years.  If I keep arguing it'll just keep going.  Thanks for the suggestions of online registries, going to check those out now.

peace 

• bsmeadbsmead member

We were broke when our first son came rather unexpectantly.
    My friends/family threw us a shower.  I registered for the necessities and then after my shower my mom came over and we went through all the stuff to figure out what we NEEDED, and what was "extra"  we took all the extra back, and put the money on gift cards so when we needed something unexpectedly later on, we could use it.  (even if that meant that we needed to buy some groceries that week, etc)  People who WANT to give you money, will give you money.  People who WANT to give you gift cards, will do that-- even walmart and target giftcards can be used to buy groceries, medicines, used at the pharmacy, gas, etc. 

I agree, dont do a money tree. 

Where I come from, no one really buys you much off your registry anyway, so just keep that basic and borrow what you can. 

• imageosnola88:

I did know when I posted that some ppl think it's rude but I also know of others that aren't bothered by it at all and I was curious what the latter might suggest.

Don't kid yourself.  It's not "some" people.  It's MANY people.  And realize too that it's a LOT easier to be honest w/ a total anonymous stranger than it is w/ your friend, daughter, sister, or what have you. 

As in - if these people that you know that aren't bothered by it - if it's people you know IRL, it's a LOT harder for them to say to your face "yeah - I think it's rude to ask people for money". 

~Benjamin Franklin

• I understand the difficulty in the fact that this was not a planned pregnancy, and I sympathize with your situation.  However, if you have to ask us not to flame you, you know the answer to your question.  Register for the things you need - cloth diapers can most certainly be registered for.  Friends and family who are close to you likely know your financial situation (at least in a general sense) and will give you things you need versus the cutesy stuff.  I always take into account a friend's general financial situation when deciding what to purchase for a shower gift.

Like the PP have said...there is absolutely no polite/non-tacky way to ask people for cash.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageEstwd2:

Yeah, sorry OP, but I have to agree with the other ladies here. Your backstory doesn't help your case at all. Don't do the money tree. Do exactly what everyone else is suggesting - register for what you need (and geez I hope that includes some kind of sleeping device for your LO), return/sell what you don't want, and bargain hunt for the rest.

Random thought from my soapbox - It bothers the heck out of me when people say/imply that it's somehow okay or they shouldn't be blamed for having an "unplanned pregnancy" during tough financial times when they can't really afford a baby. Sex = babies, plain and simple. If you can't afford a baby, then don't have sex, even with the BC. And if you choose to have sex, then please God don't say, "But it was unplanned and I was on BC, so I'm not really irresponsible." Okay, stepping off my soapbox now.

Yes x 1,000%!

• If there's nothing that you'd like to register for and you don't want to run the risk (so to speak) of "cutesy stuff", then ask whomever has offered to host a shower to host a no-gifts luncheon instead.  That way you get to celebrate the new baby with friends and family in a way that is perfectly appropriate.

New moms often need support (babysitting, a listening ear, a "been there, done that" for baby questions, etc.).  The very last thing you would want to do is to alienate your entire support network with something offensive just before you have the baby - and that's what I think folks on here are trying to prevent.

• imageEastCoastBride:
    imagedanilynn17:

imageosnola88:

Exactly.  You can find plenty of cheap containers that are safe for a sleeping baby.  Actually, I've heard many times about people letting their baby sleep in a drawer from their dresser (pulled out of course).  Or someone should be able to at least let you borrow a Moses basket or bassinet.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If you have to search for a "polite" way to say anything it's probably not right to say period.

I didn't read what PP have said. I can only imagine. I'm sorry you're in this situation...but it was your choice. It's no ones job to give you money. Heck, it's no ones job to give you gifts. I'd be willing to bet if you're asking for money it won't go toward the baby anyways...and others will probably see it as that too. If you're having a shower register for those "essential" you feel that you need and leave it at that.

You kinda contradict yourself too by telling us not to say you're tacky (which tacky and rude is how I see this situation) and then asking us what we think at the bottom. I think you know what others are thinking already. You're just trying to play the pity card because you decided to have a baby when you weren't ready and that in itself is selfish and immature. Want money? Look into government help maybe.

• imageNewFamily09:
    Even if you are living on the streets, it is not okay to do this.  It sounds like you've already come up with some great ways to cut costs.  The only way to get people to help you out financially is to start complaining about how little money you have.  But that might just get on people's nerves too.  It sounds like you are very overwhelmed with your finances and the idea that your baby is coming so soon.  Try to take a deep breath and relax.  Money will come.   You will find ways to save.  Hospital bills will probably be the most expensive thing.  I think our out of pocket expenses were about $4000 per kid (I had a c section so that might make it more).  I think most hospitals will work with you and let you make payments.  Also, if you are in a temporary situation with work and need money, there are programs to help you and your family, like food banks and other things.  It's okay to ask for help.  Does anyone in your family have some money they can lend you if you need it?  Also, about the essentials, keep talking to people.  See if you borrow a swing, bouncy seat, and other things that you need.  My DH and I shop consignment sales a lot.  You can get some really good deals.  We bought our swing on CL and it works fine.

I'd be willing to bet this isn't an issue for this poster.  I think she'll probably qualify for a medical card and not have to worry about ANY of her bills.

Otherwise, I echo your post.

• I think everyone has already said everything I was thinking.  I'm sorry you are in a tough situation, but asking for money is never ok.  Planned or not, you are in a situation that you need to take care of and it is your responsibility to take care of it financially, no one elses.  If you are comfortable doing so, and they are in a position to help, ask your parents or in-laws for a loan, other than that, good luck trying a job.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• When your needs/wants are this specific, you should probably just not have a shower.

• imageosnola88:
    imageEastCoastBride:
    imagedanilynn17:

It must be some sort of Bump Rule that "we don't have enough money for a baby but are having one anyway" is ALWAYS followed up by "my birth control failed."

Way to add the "you don't know me!" in there too. Next she will feel sorry for our husbands and children.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I stopped reading all of the responses, so sorry if I repeat something that's already been said.  (Don't get me wrong, I agree that w/ others that a money tree is inappropriate and I am very pro-choice, but I don't agree w/ people commenting on your right to have a child - adoption, abortion and the like.  You're pregnant.  You've elected to have this baby.  It's a blessing - Congratulations!)

Now, down to business.

I 100% recommend registering, especially due to your desire for more of the "essentials" and less of the misc stuff.  Create a list of what you feel you really need - i.e. cloth diapers, a pack-and-play, a good car seat (toys are not essential, but safety is)....  Then shop around for prices and selection at various retailers.  www.diapers.com, walmart and Amazon's universal registry, as suggested by others, are great options.  Don't hesitate to put a couple of the bigger ticket items on your registry either (don't expect people to buy them for you, but don't hesitate to list them)... often when people can't afford to buy you a car seat, for example, they may give you a gift card or cash to put towards that larger purchase.  

Showers I've been to where the mother did not register resulted in lots and lots of clothing - people assume you already have the essentials and start buying the "cutesy" stuff.  

When all is said and done, it is a shower and the purpose is to "shower" you with gifts.  Since they are gifts, what your guests chose to give freely to you, there is no poem that will make it appropriate to specify exact gifts or money.  

Because of your circumstances, I trust that you'll understand that for many people showers can be tough due to the financial stresses that come w/ feeling like you must bring a gift somewhere and you may find some guests have no money to give, but may make you a beautiful baby blanket or something along those lines.  (Sometimes those non-essential gifts are priceless.)  Also by requesting money, you could be putting people in similiar financial situations in a very uncomfotable position.  

Good luck! 

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Make an Amazon registry and all the cloth diapers to it. What is so hard about that?
    imageimageimage
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Breastfeeding and pregnant!
  • Yes
    imagedanilynn17:

Asking people for money is never okay. People are already coming to your shower and bringing gifts, and you're going to shake them down for cash, too? 

A cute poem NEVER makes something less rude.  

Good for you for knowing that you don't need a million gadgets and gizmos for your child. Register for what you need.  Return things that people buy you that you don't need.  Use Craigslist, garage sales and flea markets to buy what you don't receive.  My mom is the master of flea markets and garage sales.  Our daughter has so many toys that my mom picked up for really cheap that are like new.  

But please, for the love of all that is holy, do NOT ask your friends and family for money.  Ever. It is not okay. Even less okay when they are already bringing a gift.

A shower is a celebration for the mom to be, not a fundraiser.

YesYes

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I agree with the others that there is no polite way to ask for money.  If your family and friends know your situation they will hopefully give you money and the others can give you gifts (hopefully from your registry).  Your mom can spread the word if necessary that you really need what you have on the registry or gift cards or whatever.  She can let it be known that you have been given a tremendous amount of clothing.
  • imagekerrymass:

I stopped reading all of the responses, so sorry if I repeat something that's already been said.  (Don't get me wrong, I agree that w/ others that a money tree is inappropriate and I am very pro-choice, but I don't agree w/ people commenting on your right to have a child - adoption, abortion and the like.  You're pregnant.  You've elected to have this baby.  It's a blessing - Congratulations!)

Now, down to business.

I 100% recommend registering, especially due to your desire for more of the "essentials" and less of the misc stuff.  Create a list of what you feel you really need - i.e. cloth diapers, a pack-and-play, a good car seat (toys are not essential, but safety is)....  Then shop around for prices and selection at various retailers.  www.diapers.com, walmart and Amazon's universal registry, as suggested by others, are great options.  Don't hesitate to put a couple of the bigger ticket items on your registry either (don't expect people to buy them for you, but don't hesitate to list them)... often when people can't afford to buy you a car seat, for example, they may give you a gift card or cash to put towards that larger purchase.  

Showers I've been to where the mother did not register resulted in lots and lots of clothing - people assume you already have the essentials and start buying the "cutesy" stuff.  

When all is said and done, it is a shower and the purpose is to "shower" you with gifts.  Since they are gifts, what your guests chose to give freely to you, there is no poem that will make it appropriate to specify exact gifts or money.  

Because of your circumstances, I trust that you'll understand that for many people showers can be tough due to the financial stresses that come w/ feeling like you must bring a gift somewhere and you may find some guests have no money to give, but may make you a beautiful baby blanket or something along those lines.  (Sometimes those non-essential gifts are priceless.)  Also by requesting money, you could be putting people in similiar financial situations in a very uncomfotable position.  

Good luck! 

This. Don't worry so much about this. I registered, got only a few things from the registry, and got tons of cute clothes and tons of gift cards too. It all depends on your family and what their traditions are. If you want a fundraiser, call your church or local social services group, not your family.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"