September 2011 Moms

Very Nosey $ Clicky Poll

Re: Very Nosey $ Clicky Poll

• This is so interesting to me. We started financial planning late in our lives, so I always feel behind.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Clicky polls are PERFECT for nosiness Stick out tongue
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • My answer just takes into consideration our savings account at the bank.  I didn't include any 401K, life insurance, etc.
  • imagewomancake:
    My answer just takes into consideration our savings account at the bank.  I didn't include any 401K, life insurance, etc.

Ditto this. And I'm jealous some of of you are so far ahead of the game!

• imagelyse2143:
    Clicky polls are PERFECT for nosiness Stick out tongue

But now I wonder who clicked what...lol. Always happens with a clicky poll!!

• I'm assuming you mean a general savings account at a bank.  We have a 401K, life insurance, etc.
    BabyFruit TickerLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers image image
  • imageitalnprncss78:

imagelyse2143:

Lol...me too!  I'm super nosy.

• imagewomancake:
    imageitalnprncss78:

imagelyse2143:

Lol...me too!  I'm super nosy.

Worries me the people who say "what is a savings"...wow.

• imagewomancake:
    My answer just takes into consideration our savings account at the bank.  I didn't include any 401K, life insurance, etc.

Me too, savings only. Thanks for doing this Pina, I'm totally curious about this too!

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • kleu9kleu9 member
    When I look at retirement, I know that DH and are are literally light years ahead of where other 25 year olds are right now (particularily in comparison to our friends). But that being said, I sometimes worry that we don't have enough in the bank right now for immediate/urgent issues in terms of savings.
  • valzeevalzee member
    We've been putting away as much money as possible because all of my leave is going to be unpaid and DH is taking three weeks off as well. We probably have enough to last us those three months, but then it's going to start to hurt a little bit. 
  • Honestly, I have no idea. Husband manages the money b/c it stresses me out. 
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Being that this is #3 and we are in our late 30s... we are in a much better spot financially than we were with baby #1 or 2.
    image.
  • Like everyone else, I'm only including the actual savings account at the bank, not retirement accounts, etc.

I feel like our savings is just okay (I'm not even comparing to what others have said - I voted and then hit reply without even looking at the other votes yet, honestly.  So I'm just speaking for how I feel about my own savings).  I wish it was more, but such is life.  We put into it whenever we can, but without any sort of structure.  We also take out of it for big house projects - a new roof, fencing the back yard, etc. - to me, that's what it's there for.  Sure, it's also meant to be a safety net down the road, but we're comfortable enough that taking money from savings for a big investment in our home (like last year's new roof) makes sense to us.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Great poll and good timing! I just had a conversation with my financial advisor yesterday about savings and what we should have in savings. He basically said we should save what we make in a 6 month period for an emergency fund... Wowza!

I didn't include 401k, insurance, investments either.

MJ. Born 9-4-2011. 2 Weeks Old Here. Photobucket
  • So glad you asked this and made it clicky!! I always wonder how i REALLY compare to other ppl in my situation.

I also didn't include 401K, investments and insurance $ in this.  I'm pretty sure we'll blow through half our stash with hospital bills, unpaid leave and purchasing final items for LO..

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I was wondering about this too. Yay for being nosey!
  • imagechargermama:
    Being that this is #3 and we are in our late 30s... we are in a much better spot financially than we were with baby #1 or 2.

You know, this is great to know. I sometimes wonder how you save as you add more and more children so that is very promising!

• We keep our finances really compartmentalized. We each have our own checking for day to day. We have 2 savings accounts: our main savings that has quite a bit of money and we just opened up a savings account for the baby.

I didn't include our retirement money, we have a 403B, not a 401K.

We don't have a house yet. Unfortunately, most of our big savings account will wind up going towards a down payment when we do make the move to purchase a house.

• imagechargermama:
    Being that this is #3 and we are in our late 30s... we are in a much better spot financially than we were with baby #1 or 2.

This is our first, but we are both 35 and have been working and saving (individually and then together) for over ten years.

We've been lucky in that we live in MA and had to do infertility treatments, which are covered. But since we're probably moving to WI, if we decide to try for baby #2, a huge chunk of our savings will be used for that. Tongue Tied Luckily, we will have that savings to use, which factored into our decision about moving.

TTC since 10/07
    11 medicated cycles
    including...
    4 IUIs*5 IVFs*1 FET
    2 chemical pregnancies*missed m/c @8w 9/09*missed (twin) m/c @8w 5/10
    Laparoscopic myomectomy 8/10

Chromosomal translocation of #2 now requires ICSI and PGD

IVF #4= success!!! G-man born 8/18/11

IVF #5 2/2013 = N born 10/10/13 at 35w3d

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • We have a good amount in savings that we've actually saved, but I'm still in school and will have approximately $250,000 in student loans (yes, that much!!) to repay starting in 2013. Ick.
  • I was intending the question to ask cash in the bank not investments so that's good that most of you answered that way.

Glad to see I am not the only nosey one, although I too am very curious who votes for what..... and who has 50k in the bank!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagePina:

I was intending the question to ask cash in the bank not investments so that's good that most of you answered that way.

Glad to see I am not the only nosey one, although I too am very curious who votes for what..... and who has 50k in the bank!

LOL

image.
  • imagewomancake:

Ditto this.  I also didn't include stocks or any money we received from our farm that is set to the side for spending on the house or farm (in the savings account, though).

• i don't feel so bad now
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"