Pregnant after 35

Ultra Screen?

Just wondering if anyone else had this or will have this done in 1st Tri. The OB Coordinator at my practice said it is fairly new, and non-invasive. It has a 91% chance of accuracy, but not really sure what that means. I know that it tests for various defects + Downs, but I assume it just provides a risk status and then you can choose whether to undergo further diagnostics. It is done between 10-15 weeks. I am 36 so it was offered to me, but this my third baby and I don't believe I did these tests for the other two likely because I was under 35. Any experiences? Thanks!!
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Ultra Screen?

• Geeps2Geeps2 member

I have never heard of that test.  But I am not much help in the testing dept because DH and I decided not to do any testing but there are a bunch of ladies on here that have tested or have done their research so if it is out there and they have heard of it I am sure they will give you the 411.

Good Luck!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I had this. The Ultra Screen is the NT Scan that others talk about. Generally you're given a packet and information on how to prick your finger (they supply a lancet) and blot it on a special paper. This is done BEFORE your ultrasound (Nuchal Translucency Scan) at 12 weeks (usually). Then you get the risk status and can decide if you want diagnostic testing--such as a CVS or Amnio.

My OB's office offers this to EVERY patient--over or under 35.

The Ultra Screen will give you a probability of risk for DS and other chromosomal disorders.  In other words a 1:500 or 1:1000 etc.  But this is only odds. The only way you'll know for sure is with diagnostic testing (CVS is before 13 weeks, generally at 11 or 12 weeks) or an Amnio (generally around 16 weeks).

Bronx Zoo: Summer 2013

To read my blog, click on the giraffe pic below!
  • Loading the player...
  • I've never heard of it referred to as "ultra screen" but from a google search, it looks like its just the NT scan:  https://www.geneticstesting.com/patient_info/ultrascreen_patient.htm

I did the NT scan for both girls.  Combined with bloodwork, it just gives you probability that the baby could have Downs etc.  I will be doing this again with this pg.  Depending on the results, we'll then decide whether to do further testing like the CVS or amino.

Good luck!

• imagerobynlesley:

I had this. The Ultra Screen is the NT Scan that others talk about. Generally you're given a packet and information on how to prick your finger (they supply a lancet) and blot it on a special paper. This is done BEFORE your ultrasound (Nuchal Translucency Scan) at 12 weeks (usually). Then you get the risk status and can decide if you want diagnostic testing--such as a CVS or Amnio.

This varies by dr. office.  For both of mine, I did the NT scan and the bloodwork the same day (the nurse pricked my finger, etc.; I didn't do it myself).  I was told the results of the measurements on the scan immediately and then they followed up with the bloodwork results a few days later.  Both of mine were at 11 weeks.

• You are right.. it only screens for risks... it is not a test or diagnostic.  I thought it was only 75 percent accurate, though.  All it is is bloodwork and an ultrasound.  You'll get results with risks which will help you decide whether or not to do invasive testing (CVS or amnio) for definitive results.

Just wait and see the results and talk to the genetic counselor.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • it can be more upsetting than helpful. it gives you a risk factor not facts. So then you sweat it out for weeks till they do a level 2 US and tell you what it really is.  We are in that boat now. 

bottom line will you abort for Down's? that should give you the answer to have or not have the test. 

I personally wish we never had it made me cry and worry. The genetic counselor was better she put me at ease but the OB was an A$$ and totally freaked me out 

IAmPregnant Ticker BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"