Working Moms

Working from Home

Hi Everyone,

The office I have been working out of for the past four years is being closed. Luckily, I have been allowed to transition into a work from home position. I will still be doing the same job (marketing) but now out of my home office.

I have a one year old who I have had in daycare full time. I'm wondering if I should keep my schedule the way it is and her in daycare the same amount of time (8am-4pm, M-F) or if I should try to "flex" my time more. Maybe try and work some early in the morning before she wakes up and then take her in a little later or pick her up early and work more at night.  Or will this type of schedule just make me feel crazy? 

For other work at home moms...would you say that you still stick to the core business hours and keep your LO's in daycare full days? Also, since I work in marketing, my work is more project based, I don't necessarily need to be available at certain times...I just need to get my work done.  Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Working from Home

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I WFH and am also in marketing. I have PT care right now (tue-thur 9-3) - I start work 2.5 hours before my LO wakes up (start work at 6 am, LO wakes up at 830) and she also naps for 2 solid hours a day. I make up time when needed nights/weekends. It really depends on what you want to give up. For me I'd rather spend more time with LO and I dont want to put her in daycare (i use a nanny who comes to my house). When I have LO #2 next month, I have realized I will need more help so my nanny will come mon-thur 9-5 and I will handle fridays.
  • Loading the player...
  • I work PT, but I still flex my hours. I work two days in the office with core hours and then I work on the morning, weekend some, naps, and night. Depending on the week sometimes I take her DC for another day or 1/2 day but sometimes I don't.

PT DC for an infant really isn't an option here so I pay full and drop her off when needed. My DH travels a lot for work so I tend to work more on 'off' hours when he is not around.

I would keep the daycare available, play it by ear and see how it goes.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I worked from home one day a week for DD's first year.  Now that's she's a toddler, I will be sending her to child care full time in the fall.  Having her at home means that not only do I not get quality work done, but I also don't have quality time with her and she doesn't get the attention and interaction that she gets at child care.

Flexing time sounds like a good idea, but it will make for some long days for you.  I think for me it would come down to whether or not I thought the extra time with LO would be quality.

TTC since 11/05...ectopic pg 4/08...early m/c 6/09...BFP 10/5/09!
    Nora B...June 15, 2010...8lbs, 8oz...Med-free birth!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC #2 since 7/11...cycle #3 of Clomid + IUI = BFP
    Malcolm...September 21, 2012...8lbs, 6oz...Another med-free birth!

• Unless you are going to save a significant amount of money by switching to PT DC I would probably stick to the same hours.  Most DC's don't give you much of a discount, so I doubt it would be worth the stress on you to wake early, work late, etc.  Like others said, there are only so many hours in a day.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Thanks everyone for your input! I really appreciate it. I think I will stick to my current work hours but if I'm done early some days it's nice to know I can just go and pick my DD up and enjoy some extra time with her.
  • I keep normal hours with normal daycare and it's the only structure that works for me/my son.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I transitioned to a WAH FT position at the beginning of the year. I have left DD in daycare full time, but take her in later and pick her up earlier. I am just now to a point where I am considering dropping some daycare hours, or changing to a 9-3 preschool.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"