3rd Trimester

Tested Positive for Group B Strep *Beta Strep*

My Dr's office just called me today and informed me that my test results showed that I have Group B Strep. Is anybody else a carrier for this? I hear only like 25% of women naturally carry this bacteria. I go back to the doctor next Thursday so I will probably learn more about it then, but I was just wondering if any of you have personally went through this and what should I expect? I'm a little scared :( Thank you!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Tested Positive for Group B Strep *Beta Strep*

• They will just give you antibiotics so the baby can't get it. Doesn't mean you'll have it every pregnancy. You'll be fine. :)
  • I tested positive with my last pregnancy and this time they aren't even testing me because I had that strain of bacteria in my urine twice this pregnancy so they're automatically going to treat me.  It's seriously not a big deal.  My doc actually told me yesterday that about 40% of women are treated for this at delivery.  It's simply a bag of IV antibiotics prior to delivery.  Only thing is that you have to have it before you get an epidural or any of that.  My dr. told me that they don't want me waiting til the last minute to come in because they want to make sure I have plenty of time to get the meds so if you're going back and forth about whether or not it's time to leave for the hospital, you probaby will want to go.  It's a good thing to know that you are positive... a friend of mine didn't know she was positive, had her baby and her baby was VERY sick after birth and had to be hospitalized for a few weeks. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I just found out today I'm positive too....boooo. I wasn't last time so it kinda threw me off. They told me that I will be getting antibiotics during labor. One of my best friends just had a baby and she tested positive for it and she said it wasn't a big deal at all. I was a little concerned but what I've read online makes me believe there shouldn't be a cause for concern and that they will take care of it during labor.
  • Thank you all so much! I was really scared, I've never wen through this with any of my pregnancies...Does it mean that I will always have that bacteria in my body, and need to be treated for it?
  • imageLuluMommy3:
    Thank you all so much! I was really scared, I've never wen through this with any of my pregnancies...Does it mean that I will always have that bacteria in my body, and need to be treated for it?

No.  my understanding (which could be off) is that this is a bacteria that is often found in the body and can lay dormant or become active off and on.  It often becomes active during pregnancy but not always.  I think with my first pregnancy I was kind of grossed out with myself for being "germy" but it's not really like that at all.  It'll be fine:)

• How long after your DR. did the swab did you find out whether or not you tested positive?  I was just swabbed yesterday, but haven't heard anything today about it.  Is no news good news?
    Bobby and Jules Est. 07-12-2008. We welcomed Nolan 08-20-2011. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I tested negative with DS1 and positive with DS2. I will find out results with DS3 end of this week. No biggie....antibiotics are given in your IV.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I found out like in 4 days with the results....I'm hoping to breast feed and now being on the antibiotics looks like I prob won't be able to. :( Is that right?
  • imageLuluMommy3:
    I found out like in 4 days with the results....I'm hoping to breast feed and now being on the antibiotics looks like I prob won't be ableto. :( Is that right?

never heard this. I BFed no problem after DS2 and given antibiotics in IV for GBS+. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • really? well that's good to know! WHEW!Yes
  • imagebonitatinabina143:
    They will just give you antibiotics so the baby can't get it. Doesn't mean you'll have it every pregnancy. You'll be fine. :)

This.  It's really not that big of a deal.  I tested positive with my first pregnancy and just had to have some antibiotics via IV during my labor.  Not sure if I'm a carrier of it this pregnancy or not.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding.
    In all your ways acknowledge Him,and He shall direct your paths.
    Proverbs 3:5-6

• It's no big deal, you just get antibiotics while you're in the hospital. As you said, a quarter of women have it.
  • had it with baby #2   they just give you antiboitics at delivery time.  no big deal at all since you already have an IV hooked up. 
  • Thank you all so much!!! I started to cry I was so scared...But you all made me feel more relieved...Thanks again xoxox
  • I found out at first trimester that I had that and they prescribed penicillin for me to take.  I was told that I would have antibiotics when I go into labor so I'm really not worried about it.  The one thing I was worried about when I was first told that was that if I don't receive antibiotics, my baby could get really sick.  When I go into the hospital, that will be the first thing I will holler.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"