3rd Trimester

Can you talk to me about crib placement?

Our nursery is a pretty small room with 1 window.  A friend of mine told me that she was told she shouldn't put the crib on an "outside" wall (meaning a wall in the room that did not attach to another room in the house, if that makes sense) because it can get cold?  I've never heard of this.  Is that true?
Also, I know you shouldn't put a crib next to the window because when baby gets older he/she can pull at the curtains or blinds, which is unsafe.
But how far from a window should the crib be?  We were thinking of putting our crib on the same wall as our window and there is about a solid foot from the crib to the window.  Is this far enough?

Re: Can you talk to me about crib placement?

• I was told that the wall with the window is the coldest part of the room (if that makes sense...) since air/cold can still enter through the window whether or not it's open. We also only have 1 window in our very small room and only 1 wall to really put the crib against -- it's the wall adjacent to the window wall. Can you configure the room so that you aren't putting the crib against the window wall?
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • These rules make total sense if you live in a drafty house with old windows, but have you noticed the outer wall areas of rooms to be colder in your house? I think it depends upon your house more than anything.
  • Loading the player...
  • just use your common sense. a lot of that crib placement/cold spots in room, etc., also depends on where you live. we are in las vegas- it's a non-issue.
  • Our crib is against an outside wall, due to the fact that the nursery is on the south side of the house so it gets sun all day. This makes the room warm and the outside wall is a little cooler, but our house is only 5 years old, so it is really not an issue. The crib is not on the window wall.

Remember it is recommended that your baby's room be on the cool side anyway, so as long as that outside wall isn't freezing and your house has good insulation, I see no problem.

• imageBostonGayGal:
    These rules make total sense if you live in a drafty house with old windows, but have you noticed the outer wall areas of rooms to be colder in your house? I think it depends upon your house more than anything.

This. We are currently in an old house with old drafty windows, so putting DD's crib near a window would have made it too cold for her. In our new house the crib will probably be on an outside wall with windows, but it's a newer house with new windows, so the draftiness isn't an issue.

The other thing to think about with putting the crib near a window is making sure any cords for blinds or curtains are out of read of the LO once they can sit up or pull to standing, and that they can't reach curtains, either. I think a foot from the window should be enough space for that, in most cases.

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • 1 foot from the window is definitely not far enough... especially when you hit 6+ months.  There are a TON of reasons it's not a great idea to put the crib on an outside wall, but you have to make do with what you've got, so if that's the only place to put it... then there's your answer.  :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"