Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

13 Month Old Terribly Congested!

She either has a cold or just allergies but she can't breathe and will not let me wipe her nose. She has been trying to lay down but gets so frustrated because she can't breathe. Any suggestions? I got the baby saline up her nose once today-it is a royal fight to do. I did the hot shower with her and it didn't help long. She has a humidifier in her room. I've been living on Sudafed. I wish there was something that would dry up her poor sinuses.

Re: 13 Month Old Terribly Congested!

• wrap her in a towel and get as much saline as you can up there and then suck her out with a bulb syringe.  She will be mad, but it will be worth it.  You can also put vicks baby rub on her feet and chest. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Baby Vicks worlds great for DD. Accidentally found out that swimming helps too. The pool water made her sneeze like crazy and out came all the boogies. Probably took 2 days off her stuffed nose.
    siggy should be here!
  • Loading the player...
  • You definitely need to be sucking out the boogers and not just using saline.  This thing is awesome:  https://www.amazon.com/Nosefrida-The-Snotsucker-Nasal-Aspirator/dp/B00171WXII
  • my friend is a pedi and suggests benadryl before bed to help dry things up. Keep pushing saline and syringe -- even though it's always a losing battle, every little bit helps. Elevate the head part of her mattress with a pillow or rolled towel underneath. Remove pillow for bed time if she uses one. If it keeps up after 3-4 days I would bring her to the pedi and get some breathing treatments, or maybe allergy meds. GL!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Do the saline spray (it IS a b!tch but it's really worth it), suck out as much of the snot as you can (we use the HydraSene snot sucker - or whatever it is actually called), use baby Vicks, Benadryl or some antihistamines, a cool humidifier if you have one, elevate the head part of her mattress...

Can you tell I've been there? lol

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageGo_Dawgs:
    You definitely need to be sucking out the boogers and not just using saline.  This thing is awesome:  https://www.amazon.com/Nosefrida-The-Snotsucker-Nasal-Aspirator/dp/B00171WXII
    Ditto. 

DD was congested all winter into the spring. I use a cool mist humidifier, saline spray and then the SnotSucker mentioned above, Vicks BabyRub (I bought the Up and Up generic), I elevated her mattress slightly at the head, and recently her pedi told me I could use Benadryl - the package says ages 6+, but we used just a small amt (I can't remember if it was a teaspoon or a tablespoon).

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"