3rd Trimester

C-section questions

I had my 39th week appointment and found out that this little one is breech.  This was a liitle disappointing to me because it was not until recently that she moved into the breech position.  My due date is the 24th.  The doctor also said because of how small I am she does not think I would be able to deliver naturally.  Anyway now I may have to schedule a c-section and I have some questions for those that have already went through this. 

If you had a c-section did you have contractions and what happened when you had contractions.  Did the doctors have to give you something to stop the contractions? 

If I have the c-section I will be in the hospital for four days at least.  What does the c-section feel like?  Were you able to see the baby right away or did you have to wait?  How difficult is the healing process while the stay in the hospital and after when you went home?   Any ideas, suggestions about the whole process, is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Re: C-section questions

• sytomsytom member

C-sections can be really scary, but it's amazing how well our bodies are able to get better really fast. A nurse told me that c-section ladies are able to feel better faster than other abdominal surgery patients...  maybe because they have something really precious to take care of.

It's going to sound so clich?, but just try and focus on what is really important, seeing your baby for the first time.

Oh yeah, one thing I remember really clearly was how I didn't feel the nurse take off the tacks on my scar.  It felt something like tweezing!!!  I was so relieved!

Good luck to you.  I wish you the best!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• I only stayed in the hospital about 2 and a half days after my (unplanned)  c-section, but I do believe that the hospitals and insurance companies might be required to let you stay 4 days. (I only left because the nurse was driving me batty.)

I didn't feel the actual surgery at all. Or the epidural. But I was having a really bad back labor at the time of the epidural- baby was stuck in my pelvis and I had been in labor for about 24 hours. 

They did show me my baby pretty quickly...my husband was holding him...and then took him away and finished my stitching and then took me to recovery. Probably could have been more intimate, but it was a last minute surgery and I was just happy that everyone was okay. 

The first day wasn't so bad because I still had the morphine, I beileve. The next few days were quite painful sometimes, but I was also really tired and BF was hurting me terribly, too. And they would come and pound on my tummy to make sure everything was okay...and that hurt like mad. 

My first day out of the hospital...I thought I would split in half. But then, I did leave the hospital early and I was so super tired and getting ready to move into a new house so I was staying with my dad and step-mom. Just a lot of extra pressure, I guess. 

However, all in all, I did heal pretty quickly. I know after the 4th day or so, I really started to improve. 

If I make it to the 27th for my RCS ( I am due the 25th, so will VBAC if I go into labor before the 27th), then I am really curious, too, to see how a scheduled c-section will be. 

BabyFetus Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I had an unplanned c-section with my first. From my experience I only stayed in the hospital 2 days after the c-section. My husband is a nurse, so I felt comfortable to come home after that. The surgery was not as bad as I thought. There was a lot of pressure and it kind of takes your breath away, but it's not bad. I had been in labor for 30+ hours so when my son came out, they took him straight to be looked at. I was able to see him probably within 5minutes. I would assume this time since its scheduled, I will see her sooner. The healing process was WAY easier than people told me. The key is to move as soon as the nurses tell you it's safe. Laying in bed the whole time only makes it worse. Once I got home, I was fine to move around no problem. I'm sorry this wasn't your birth plan, I understand. Try to just relax, enjoy it, and be proud that you are doing what's best for your baby.

• I had a scheduled c-section with my first. If you start to have contractions and labor is progressing you go to the hospital and they will just do the c-section then. They will not attempt to "stop" the labor.

Be prepared, due to not eating or drinking anything for 8 hours before your c-section you may very well have contractions due to dehydration. I had some contractions that were moderate while waiting for the dr to come get me after being prepped.

For my experience, I saw the baby as soon as he came out, they showed me my DS by lifting him up high so I could see him over the drape. They then took him over to a little "bed" and checked him over, my DH was able to stand right there with him. I could see him where I was. After he had his initial check by the dr, they allowed my DH to bring him over to me and I was able to see him close up and kiss him and be cheek to cheek ( I did not hold him yet). Then they took my DH and DS to the recovery room while they finished sewing me up. As soon as I was taken to recovery I was able to hold and cuddle with him.

The recovery process is different for everyone, I was bed bound for the first 24 hours with a catheter, but due to the good drugs, felt no pain. Once the catheter was out, they also took my IV out. Moving around was difficult, but not unbearable. I was taking short walks 10 minutes after the catheter came out. I was still on pain pills, so I was feeling some pain, but I was able to function and move around. Move around once you can, it may be painful, but it will help.

I was released from the hospital less than 48 hours after my c-section. At home, the best advice I can give you is to listen to your body. I moved slowly and needed to sit with my feet up quite a bit due to swelling, but I was able to move around the house fairly easily. The c-section recovery was so much easier than trying to figure out breastfeeding.

Take your pain pills and go slow. Try to move when you feel good, but don't push too hard or it just make things worse. Take breaks when you need it, rest when you can.

If your mom or anyone that you are comfortable with can come and do some of the day to day housework, LET THEM. You need to focus on baby and recovery. My mom was a God send the first couple weeks, and I do think that that helped me recover faster, because I wasn't worried about the house.

Good luck! I will be having a repeat c-section for baby #2 and I am hoping my recovery will go as well as last time.

• Don't let a doctor just tell you right away you HAVE to do a c-section. Try to give birth naturally! Just because the baby is breech does not mean a c-section is NECESSARY. It is still very possible to give birth vaginally with a breech baby, just takes more on your part. Doctors often tell mothers a c-section is needed without really talking to you about possibilities of doing it vaginally anyways if you do not tell them you want to do your best to have it vaginally and what can be done to keep it that way. I don't know how strongly you do feel about making sure you have your baby naturally but I do say it is best to have your baby naturally. Doctors want you to have your baby as fast as possible, and sometimes as easy as possible. But don't take the easy way out, have your baby vaginally! Unless of course there is any harm to you or your baby! That is the only reason c-sections are necessary. Get all the information first!!!!
  • I've had two c/s- first one was unplanned and the second was planned.

With DD I was induced and labored for 24 hours, no go. With DS I went in at 40 weeks, nothing except a few braxton hicks. So I don't know what they do to stop your contractions or if they do.

For me, the c/s itself was weird. The worst part for me (both times) was when they made the first cut- my body freaked and my blood pressure would drop causing me to throw up. But it doesn't hurt. There is pushing/tugging/pulling which is WEIRD but not painful at all. Gross, but again, not painful. You should be able to see the baby pretty quickly afterwards; generally they hold them up over the curtain and then suction them out/wrap them up since they didn't get all of the fluid pushed out of them like they would have if you had gone through labor. Babies who come out via c/s also tend to score a little lower on their APGARs. 

The healing process for me wasn't too bad. I did get a stomach binder with the second surgery to help me and it really did help. One thing I was completely unprepared for though was the awful gas cramps. I literally thought something was wrong with me it was so bad. You'll also still bleed down there, which I was a little surprised about. 

I recommend staying the full four days. With my first, my milk took a while to come in and it was so wonderful having the incredible nurses help me and the lactation consultants. It also didn't hurt that the birthing center I was at had pretty much round the clock food service, and it was actually pretty yummy. Even though I now have two toddlers I do intend on staying the full four days, to heal, to bond with the new baby and to take advantage of all of the nurses help. 

C-sections really aren't that bad- they seem scary, but it wasn't that bad for me at all. Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • MereBMereB member

After spending several days in labor, I eventually had an emergency c/s (for lots of reasons).  I was exhausted, so that probably took a lot of the nerves away, and at that point I would've given myself a c/s if my OB didn't give me one.  My husband was able to stand up and see our son being born (this is the guy who normally gags when he sees a drop of blood).  They gave him a quick wipe down and brought him over for both of us to cuddle.  I couldn't really hold him (it's an awkward position), but I was able to give lots of kisses.  The anesthesiologist took lots of pictures of us.  

Then my husband went with our son to the nursery for the bath/testing, and they finished closing me up.  By the time they wheeled me to recovery, my husband and son came back and I was able to nurse before they took us to my postpartum room.  

I had my son on a Wednesday night and was released Friday morning, This time I'd like to stay at least one more night.  If you're in pain, use the call button and ask for more drugs.  The first time I stood up, I bled everywhere (not sure if it will be this bad if I don't go through labor this time).  Also, due to all the fluids, my legs were huge- my ankles looked like thighs. It took several days for them to go down.

At home, I moved very slow- I got stuck on the sofa and learned I need to sit on a higher and firmer chair.  It was hard for me to move to a sitting position in bed or to roll out of bed- it just took a really long time.  I was lucky to have my husband home, so he would bring me the baby, etc which made things easier those first 2 weeks.

I'm excited about this c/s because I won't have been in labor for 4 days beforehand.  I expect this recovery to be easier since I won't be dealing with that exhaustion. 

• imageMamaChanChan:
    Don't let a doctor just tell you right away you HAVE to do a c-section. Try to give birth naturally! Just because the baby is breech does not mean a c-section is NECESSARY. It is still very possible to give birth vaginally with a breech baby, just takes more on your part. Doctors often tell mothers a c-section is needed without really talking to you about possibilities of doing it vaginally anyways if you do not tell them you want to do your best to have it vaginally and what can be done to keep it that way. I don't know how strongly you do feel about making sure you have your baby naturally but I do say it is best to have your baby naturally. Doctors want you to have your baby as fast as possible, and sometimes as easy as possible. But don't take the easy wayout, have your baby vaginally! Unless of course there is any harm to you or your baby! That is the only reason c-sections are necessary. Get all the information first!!!!

Please don't listen to this fool. No one should endanger their baby by going into labor and trying to deliver a breech baby vaginally. I highly doubt there is any doctor willing to risk the baby anyway to do something so foolish. If you need a c-section, that's why they do them.

I had a scheduled c-section with my first. I went into labor when I got to the hospital to have him, but I was never in active labor before they took him out.  I got IV fluids for 2 hours, then to the OR, and he was out within 20 minutes. I was afraid of the epi, but I didn't feel it going in, or anything after that. The weirdest thing is the heavy feeling, because the lower part of your body is there but you can't feel or move it. They do some pulling/tugging that you're aware of, but it doesn't hurt. They showed me my son right away, cut the cord, and then cleaned him off. They decided to take him to be evaluated because he made a grunting noise, but it was nothing, just a noise that some babies make because they don't have the fluid pushed out of their lungs from delivery during a c-section like with a vaginal birth. I got to hold him, have skin to skin contact, and BF shortly after he was born. I had my section at 3pm, and I really didn't get up until the next morning, so my H and the nurses changed the baby, and gave him to me to nurse. The following morning I got out of bed. It hurt, but it wasn't awful, the staples pinched me, but probably because I carry weight in my lower belly to begin with. I tried to avoid the meds, but realized that there was no need to be a hero, and I took them and felt better. I wore a binder afterwards, that helped my posture and helped me walk around without pain. I stayed in the hospital 3 days.

I have a c-section scheduled for my due date, and am hoping to try to VBAC if he comes before. I am not opposed to having the section, I just am hoping to try to let my body do as nature intended this time. If I can't, I'm totally ok with it. 

• imageMamaChanChan:
    Don't let a doctor just tell you right away you HAVE to do a c-section. Try to give birth naturally! Just because the baby is breech does not mean a c-section is NECESSARY. It is still very possible to give birth vaginally with a breech baby, just takes more on your part. Doctors often tell mothers a c-section is needed without really talking to you about possibilities of doing it vaginally anyways if you do not tell them you want to do your best to have it vaginally and what can be done to keep it that way. I don't know how strongly you do feel about making sure you have your baby naturally but I do say it is best to have your baby naturally. Doctors want you to have your baby as fast as possible, and sometimes as easy as possible. But don't take the easy way out, have your baby vaginally! Unless of course there is any harm to you or your baby! That is the only reason c-sections are necessary. Get all the information first!!!!

Oh FFS.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I had to have a scheduled c-section with my son.  He was breech and didn't move head down no matter what we tried.  The morning of my c-section I was hooked up to the monitors to see how the baby was doing and I think I had some contractions, but they didn't give me anything to stop them.  I remember that I went into the OR and sat on the table with my legs dangling over and the nurse helped my hunch my back so I could get the spinal...man that stuff works quick :) you don't feel anything.  So they go through draping and asked me if I could feel anything, they must have been poking around and I didn't so they got started.  The only thing I felt was pressure as they pulled him out of my belly.  I just kept breathing normally and as soon as he was out they cut the cord and lifted him over the drape so I could see him.  He went over to the warmer, I could see him from there as I was stitched up and at one point after he was cleaned up they sat him up so I could see him.  I remember they asked about vitamin k shot and the eye stuff I gave the go ahead for those and after that they wrapped him up loosely in a blanket brought him over to see me and I kissed him and my husband held him for the first time until I was all closed up and put back into my bed.  At that point they took him and removed the blanket and we started skin-to-skin contact and stayed that way for about an hour.  I had staples to close my incision, the only mistake I made was going home after being in the hospital for 2 nights.  I kept them in too long so they were difficult to remove.

I recommend that as soon as you're able (after all feeling in your legs has returned and you feel up to it) get up and move.  I was up that night and had my catheter removed, due to it backing up.  I was given 6 hours to pee on my own or they would put one back in until the morning when I got to take a shower.  I had motivation to get up, my son was breathing a little too fast so they took him to the nursery and so I got up as soon as they let me and I sat in a wheelchair by his side in the nursery until it was deemed that I had to go back to my room and try to pee.  I was unsuccessful and they put a catheter back in and I begged them to let me go back to see him and I was told as soon as I was settled with the catheter they'd bring him back in to room-in with me and my husband since he was going to be fine. 

I won't lie, stairs can be painful to climb if you don't stay up on your meds.  I tried not to take the pain pills prescribed to me unless it was absolutely necessary.  I say take the help you can get from friends and family for the first 2 weeks because of the restrictions they place on you after the c-section.  Focus on relaxing and taking care of the baby.  Don't be afraid to ask for help and don't push yourself to be "supermom."

I wish you the best of luck and you can always PM me if you have any other questions.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker I'm a Mom Maven. Learn More...
  • One other thing I wasn't expecting the first time around; with both of my c/s they very loosely restrain your arms; my guess is so that if you do start freaking for whatever reason, you don't rip the curtain down or anything like that. But I wasn't expecting that and it did freak me out a little. It's not like it was tight or anything; I think it was velcro. But something to be aware of. :-)
  • imagelisajay09:

imagesoveryexcited:
    One other thing I wasn't expecting the first time around; with both of my c/s they very loosely restrain your arms; my guess is so that if you do start freaking for whatever reason, you don't rip the curtain down or anything like that. But I wasn't expecting that and it did freak me out a little. It's not like it was tight or anything; I think it was velcro. But something to be aware of. :-)

Yikes...I did NOT have that!!  That is not the case for everyone.  I'm sorry they restrained you.

I didn't have my arms restrained either - I think it may depend on the anesthesia staff for whether they do or not.  My c-section was for breech as well and it went fine - I didn't feel anything and got to breastfeed right away.  But the duramorph [a long acting morphine they sometimes put in the spinal] made me very ill - I ended up vomiting for about 16 hours after the c-section.  Other than that, my recovery was pretty easy - no pain, I just took it slow and we had my mom help then first week.  But I had no problem with stairs or walking.  I'm scheduled for a repeat c-section on my due date if I don't go into labor first.  So we'll see how this one goes.

Oh - and vaginal breech deliveries maybe safe if you've had babies vaginally before and IF you have a doc that is trained in doing them - which most aren't anymore. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageMamaChanChan:
    Don't let a doctor just tell you right away you HAVE to do a c-section. Try to give birth naturally! Just because the baby is breech does not mean a c-section is NECESSARY. It is still very possible to give birth vaginally with a breech baby, just takes more on your part. Doctors often tell mothers a c-section is needed without really talking to you about possibilities of doing it vaginally anyways if you do not tell them you want to do your best to have it vaginally and what can be done to keep it that way. I don't know how strongly you do feel about making sure you have your baby naturally but I do say it is best to have your baby naturally. Doctors want you to have your baby as fast as possible, and sometimes as easy as possible. But don't take the easy way out, have your baby vaginally! Unless of course there is any harm to you or your baby! That is the only reason c-sections are necessary. Get all the information first!!!!

I am a lurker on the the 3 trimester sight but this post is ridiculous so I just had to say something. Having a c-section is by no means taking the easy way out. I'm sorry but have to had your stomach and uterus cut open and had a baby pulled out? Pretty sure it's NOT easy. This was just rude to post and not needed. You should also get all the information first before telling people c-sections are the easy way out. 

• imagelmjt:

imageMamaChanChan:
    Don't let a doctor just tell you right away you HAVE to do a c-section. Try to give birth naturally! Just because the baby is breech does not mean a c-section is NECESSARY. It is still very possible to give birth vaginally with a breech baby, just takes more on your part. Doctors often tell mothers a c-section is needed without really talking to you about possibilities of doing it vaginally anyways if you do not tell them you want to do your best to have it vaginally and what can be done to keep it that way. I don't know how strongly you do feel about making sure you have your baby naturally but I do say it is best to have your baby naturally. Doctors want you to have your baby as fast as possible, and sometimes as easy as possible. But don't take the easy wayout, have your baby vaginally! Unless of course there is any harm to you or your baby! That is the only reason c-sections are necessary. Get all the information first!!!!

Please don't listen to this fool. No one should endanger their baby by going into labor and trying to deliver a breech baby vaginally. I highly doubt there is any doctor willing to risk the baby anyway to do something so foolish. If you need a c-section, that's why they do them.

Oh for crying out loud.  To MamaChan - you're being ridiculous.  I'm a huge supporter of natural, vaginal delivery, but did you even read the original post?  The woman's baby is breech.  She's not getting a c-section for the heck of it, so get off your soapbox.

To lmjt, your post is not correct.  Some breech babies can be delivered vaginally safely.  Frank breech is the most safe breech presentation and there are doctors and midwives who will deliver a frank breech child vaginally.  Usually, they won't do it for a first time mother.  But some will do it for a second time mother who has previously delivered vaginally and therefore has what they call a "proven pelvis."  A footling breech is certainly more dangerous and very few doctors will deliver that vaginally.  And a transverse baby must be delivered by c-section.

• I was in the same boat as you.  Just had my first baby in November and she was breech the whole time.  I tried all of the exercises and they did not work.  I was scheduled for a C-section 1 week before my due date.  However I ended up going into labor that night.  We got to the hospital at 4am and when they checked me they told me I was 6cm dilated. They did not give me anything to stop the contractions.  All they did was prep my and get me ready for surgery.  They did do a quick u/s just to make sure that my LO had not turned but she did not so it was off to the OR I went.

Once they hooked me up and got me prepped I walked down to the OR with the doc.  When I got in they sat me on the table and gave me my spinal.  It did not hurt at all.  I think the key is to relax and breathe deep.  Keep your chin down against your chest and don't tighten up.  It kicks in right away in that they had to lift my legs up onto the table.  They then put in my catheter and cleaned off my tummy.  Keep in mind I saw none of this and felt none of this.  My husband then came in and joined me sitting up next to my head.  They began the surgery and within minutes my baby girl came out screaming and crying which then both my husband and I were crying as well.  The doctor had to dry my eyes for me.  They cleaned her off and then brought her around for my husband to hold and I got to kiss her and touch her hands and face.  They then took her to my recovery room and they sewed me back up.  I did not get staples.  All in all that all took about 40 minutes.  As soon as they wheeled me in my LO was right there next to my bed.  Since nothing was wrong with my arms or hands I was able to hold her right away and nurse her.  I was in recovery for about 5 hours and during that time we took pictures, videos, I was texting and talking on the phone.  They took her to give her the first bath.  Once all of the feeling was back in my legs they moved me into my room.  When I got there I nursed her again and we did skin to skin contact.  They we started to have visitors.  The first day I really felt nothing.  They left the catheter in the entire day and over night because I was having issues with my BP so they did not want me out of bed at all that first day.  Also I was on a liquid diet the entire first day which was fine because when I did try to drink something I felt really sick to my stomach.  Which all in all was fine with me. This was all on a Thursday.

Now the 2nd day kind of sucked. I was really tired because I did not get much sleep the past two nights.  I was also bleeding pretty badly which is totally normal.  At one point I had to have one of the nurses clean me up. This sucked because I had to lift myself up and turn side to side.  Also they check your uterus by pressing on your belly button.  That was seriously painful.  I decided against wearing my own pjs and underwear because of how much I was bleeding.  Around 2:00pm that day they finally went to take out my catheter out since my BP was back to normal.  Also they wanted to move me to my permanent room.  Here I thought they were going to just wheel me into my new room.  Oh no I had to get out of bed and into a wheelchair.  That was horrible.  The best advice I can give to you is to get one of those stomach binders.  This was a lifesaver for me.  It sort of keeps everything in place and makes it much easier to move around.  Also when getting up do it in one quick motion cause doing it slow just prolongs the pain.  For me it felt like a burning and like as if my incision was going to tear open.  As much as getting up and moving around sucked you have to do it because it makes your recovery faster and easier.  Not only did I get in and out of bed I ate dinner that night in a chair and took a lap around the floor of the hospital.  I also was able to eat my first real meal.  They suggested not to eat anything really heavy so I had a turkey sandwich and chicken noodle soup and ginger ale.

Saturday was much better.  Of course it still hurt to get up and around but not as much.  In fact I was able to take a shower that morning which felt fantastic.  However, it took so much of my energy out of me.  The bleeding was not as bad and I could finally get out of bed to tend to my baby if she was crying.

Sunday morning my doc came in and checked me and asked if we wanted to go home.  We said yes so she said that we could check out.  We could have stayed 1 more night but, we really wanted to be home.  So I showered up, filled out papers, got our things together and checked out at about 2pm that day. Also if you have a SUV bring a step stool with you so that it is easier and less painful getting in and out of your car.  

Overall I had a good experience with my C-section.  It was not something I had planned or wanted at first but know that it was the best thing to do.  I would say that about a week after she was born I stopped wearing the binder and could move around a lot easier.  I would take about 1 percocet a day and that was for about a week only.  Then I just took motrin.  And 2 weeks after she was born we were out getting our Christmas tree.  Just try to take it easy because you will have just had major surgery.  Even though there is pain involved more so with recovery than anything else just keep telling yourself that then end result is all worth it.  I wish you the best of luck and I hope I was able to answer some of the questions you may have had about all of this.  Please feel free to ask me anything else about this.  Good luck:)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"