November 2011 Moms

Who's drinking?

Are any of you drinking alcohol at all?  I'm having sips of my husband's drinks here and there but nothing too much.  Just curious!
imageAnniversary Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Who's drinking?

• I have had one glass of wine at a gathering, I did have a few glasses of wine last pregnancy too. I found that I just really did not care for it, even though I didn't feel bad about the occasional drink.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had a fabulous glass of red wine on my birthday last month and savoured every second.  last week while on vacation I had a few white wine spritzers (I think there was maybe 2 tablespoons of wine.  white wine isn't really alcohol anyway!  :-)

I don't feel guilty 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I've had a glass of wine here and there.  Like a normal serving glass, not my pre-pregnancy GLASS.  :)
  • I've had maybe three sips in the past 21 weeks - not counting the huge night of drinking I did just days before my BFP.

I really haven't felt the desire to drink. I love wine, but of the 3 sips I've had, they've been of beer.

Although my birthday is on Monday and a glass of champagne does sound kinda good.

Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I ate the alcohol soaked cherry floating in DH's "umbrella drink" when we were in FL last month.  :)  I wasn't a big drinker before BFP (like MAYBE one drink every 3 months, maybe), so it's not much of a change for me.  I've had quite the aversion to alcohol in this pg also.  I think I actually prefer the virgin versions of margs, pina coladas and other frozen drinks.
  • I'm not.  I decided I can wait until November.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • I've had two taste glasses of wine for special occassions.  I was waiting until 20 weeks to feel confortable having a glass of wine, but baby still feels like she's too small (the glass of wine weighs more than her :)

I am guessing unless its a really special occassion (like before my opportunity to try a $2k bottle of wine which I will never have again) I probably will abstain from drinking until around full term when I am guessing a glass of wine will taste excellent. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I had a quarter of a fluted glass of champagne (so like 2 sips) about a month ago.  I would have had a little more than that, but it wasn't good champagne and it gave me heartburn.
    m/c @ 6 weeks - March 2013 
    m/c @ 5 weeks - April 2013 
    m/c @ 7 weeks - December 2013, D & C 12/27/2013 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

• I had champagne at my wedding (surprise BFP about 4 weeks prior to the big day) - hahaha my OB told me I'd BETTER participate in my own champagne toast ;-)

Since then, I've really just had sips of my hubby's drinks. We had our honeymoon in Napa Valley, so I went "wine kissing" while he went wine tasting. I got enough of the flavor to pick out some of my favorites, and we brought back a bunch of wine that I'll be able to fully enjoy once LO arrives.  

Mom to E, 11/2011 - Severe egg & dairy allergies, soy intolerance *** Stepmom to G, 2001
  • It's all I've wanted for the past 22 weeks! I've been good and had nothing so far, but my birthday is next week, and I think a small glass of wine is in store for me. My grandma is hilarious and told me she drank with all 7 of her pregnancies, and I'll be fine if I do drink something!
  • imageChristine&Mario:

I had champagne at my wedding (surprise BFP about 4 weeks prior to the big day) - hahaha my OB told me I'd BETTER participate in my own champagne toast ;-)

Since then, I've really just had sips of my hubby's drinks. We had our honeymoon in Napa Valley, so I went "wine kissing" while he went wine tasting. I got enough of the flavor to pick out some of my favorites, and we brought back a bunch of wine that I'll be able to fully enjoy once LO arrives.  

I haven't had anything and have decided to wait till November but I love the wine kissing idea lol! 

• imageChristine&Mario:

I went "wine kissing" while he went wine tasting

I love the term "wine kissing"! I did that over the 4th when we went tasting with some friends. I have a couple bottles waiting for me when I can truly enjoy it. We are going on a big weekend getaway next weekend with friends and I was planning on having a glass of red one of the nights.
  • Negatory.  Alcohol sounds disgusting right now. Plus, I wouldn't even if it did sound good. 
    It's a Boy!! Baby #1 - Born 11/2/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I haven't had 1 sip of alcohol since we went for our IVF consult between Christmas and New Years and our RE advised against it. I'm making DH purchase a 12 pack of some fall seasonal beer when it comes out in September for me to enjoy once I'm full term. I will only have 1 out of the 12, I'll save the others for after LO arrives.
    12/10 Dx with high levels antisperm antibodies (female)
    IVF#1 Jan/Feb 2011 Lupron Follistim 1/29
    ER 2/10 28 Retrieved 21 Fertilized w/ICSI
    ET 2/15 Transferred 2 beautiful embryos, 10 frosties
    Beta #1 2/24-141~Beta #2 2/28-1007
    1st u/s HB 116 2nd u/s HB 133
    Photobucket
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I've had a few sips here and there from my DHs beers. Other than that I havn't had a full drink or anything. My bday is in september and i'll probably have a mimosa.
  • I haven't had a drop. I don't want to risk it because I've heard "no amount of alcohol is safe" and I want to have the healthiest baby i possibly can. Although, I am NOT one to judge anyone for having a glass of wine here or there as I know in some studies and countries (like France) they say it's fine.
  • I haven't had any alcohol purposedly so far (there was an accidental of sipping of some fruit infused vodka that I thought was water). I do salivate though at those wonderful cocktails everyone's been having and wouldn't mind some nice cool beer either. I figure I will wait till end of November and then have some wine to soothe my birthing pains.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Yes, I've ordered a 1/2 glass (I've found most restaurants will do this, which is nice) with a big dinner a handful of times so far. There was a new study that came out I think last month that showed no more than 1 drink every day caused absolutely NO problems. Of course, this was a European study - that would never fly here. I'm a firm believer that they say no alcohol because they know if you give the average moron an inch, they'll take a mile. I don't feel guilty because I honestly don't think I'm chancing a damn thing.

BabyFetus Ticker
    It's a BOY!

CafeMom Tickers
  • jb2rnjb2rn member
    My last sip was the night before my BFP. And I miss a cold beer right now!!!! I might have half a beer or half a glass of wine in the third tri but I don't know yet. I found out yesterday the hospitals here in Germany have beer and wine in the cafeteria!! So I might wait until baby comes.
    b/w=FSH 15.6, AMH 0.4 surprise natural BFP on 3/12/11
    DS born via unplanned C-section at 40w6d

• I drink whenever I feel like it. This typically means a couple glasses of wine per week. According to the latest research, women who drink a bit during pregnancy have healthier, better-developed babies than women who don't. I'm even trying red wines (which I don't normally like) on occasion to get maximum benefits. However, I don't actually believe that drinking helps the baby, but I know that it also doesn't hurt. Personally I think that women who drink are also more likely to avoid chemicals and to eat organic, real foods (ie avoid margarine like the plague), which is why their babies tend to be healthier.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageColoradoAlly:
    I drink whenever I feel like it. This typically means a couple glasses of wine per week. According to the latest research, women who drink a bit during pregnancy have healthier, better-developed babies than women who don't. I'm even trying red wines (which I don't normally like) on occasion to get maximum benefits. However, I don't actually believe that drinking helps the baby, but I know that it also doesn't hurt. Personally I think that women who drink are also more likely to avoid chemicals and to eat organic, real foods (ie avoid margarine like the plague), which is why their babies tend to be healthier.

I have also read this, and agree with ColoradoAlly. I have had a glass of wine (usually red) here and there, maybe once a week. Certainly not as big as my "pre preg" glasses. My doctor has absolutely no problem with this amount, she said a glass a day was fine.

Be the change you want to see in the world. Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Photobucket
  • None for me.  I don't miss at all.  Even if I did, I still wouldn't. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I drank up until the day before my BFP (this was a bit of a surprise pregnancy!) and since then I've had maybe 4 sips of my husbands wine here and there. My birthday is Aug 25th, and a glass of wine or a mimosa will probably be in order...it sounds like absolute heaven. I have a friend whose doctor said after 20 weeks, a glass or two of wine a week is okay. I'll probably wait until closer to full term before I have a 'glass' (meaning, a couple ounces)....I figure at that point I'll be miserable, so might as well have something enjoyable! Smile
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Me: 37 DH: 38 
    BFP #1 3/17/11 - DS born 12/4/11
    TFAS Dec 2013
    BFP #2 - 3/23/14 - CP 3/26/14
    BFP #3 - 8/20/14 - Natural Miscarriage 9/22/14
    BFP #4 - 1/28/15 - DS2 born 10/13/15
    Surprise BFP# 5 - 9/2/16 - Due 5/13/17

• I haven't had any. I did take a nice big sniff of a glass of pinot noir last week, but that's as close as I get. Not worth it for me. 
  • No, not at all.
    "Read the books, don
  • I had a lovely mojito the day before I got my BFP, and since then I've had one glass of champagne at a wedding and one half glass of wine on our anniversary. I'll probably have another glass of champagne at a wedding in mid-August, and that will be it.

The thing I miss most is Belgian beer. I used to work in the beer industry, and I miss not getting to sample the newest micro-imports as they come out. Ah well, something to look forward to after Thanksgiving..:o)

• My alcohol consumption has gone down drastically the last two years. Even just having one drink (pre-pregnancy) made me feel so sick with indigestion. Last time I drank like a fish was in January, well before my BFP, and I felt like I was hit by a truck the next day. Needless to say, I haven't had any desire for a drink during this pregnancy at all. Even if I did, I'd probably not give in. I probably won't be drinking when I BF either.
  • Nothing.  I was going to have a glass of wine on our anniversary (June 7), but the heartburn is so bad, the acid from wines would just make it worse (at least it used to when I wasn't pregnant and had acid reflux) and I figured what was the point?
     TTC #1 since June 2008
    M/C @ 6 weeks 12/31/2008, Ectopic @ 6 weeks on 4/23/2010
    Diagnosed Unexplained 11/2009-DH is fine-I don't get AF
    Cycle #22 - 1/27/11 - IUI #1 & Injections - BFP! - DS born 11/11/11 
    TTC#2 - 2/24/14 - IUI & Injections - BFP! - EDD 11/29/14
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I've had "wine kisses" (thanks PP for that term, I'm so going to use it!) from my husband's glass... and then last weekend I poured a tiny 2 oz glass to have a couple of sips with dinner. I was worried I'd feel guilty but didn't, I really don't think there's a risk based on what I've read and the loads of healthy babies in developed Euro countries who are born to mothers who drink moderately.

That said... I still don't plan to do more than taste until LO is in my arms and out of my bloodstream.

• No, Im way to paranoid, but I would love a cold beer right about now, we just got our first house together and I wish I could celebrate but November will be here soon enough! 
    BabyFruit Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker
  • My husband is a doctor and won't let me have ANY alcohol....not even a sip.  He doesn't think it is worth the risk.
  • 2-Step2-Step member
    I have sips of DHs beer once in awhile and last week on a trip with my mom I had a glass of white wine with a giant meal of food, it was SO good. We were sitting outside in Victoria BC on the harbor and I couldn't resist.
  • I haven't yet.  Last pregnancy I craved beer, this one I could take it or leave it.  We're going to the beach in a few weeks, so I'm sure I'll have a glass or two of wine there. 
  • I haven't had anything...but then again I would rather have soda as my "forbidden fruit" vs alcohol. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I work with several children who have Fetal Alcohol Syndrome, so full-on drinking really doesn't appeal to me at this point.  Not passing judgement on others, but it's just something I really don't want to do while pregnant.  I do have an occasional non-alcoholic beer, and I have snuck sips of my husband's beer a handful of times during this pregnancy. 

"I know not all that may be coming, but be it what it will, I'll go to it laughing."

• I've had 1 glass of wine and 2 beers total since my BFP. They were all for celebratory occasions (our babymoon, two nice dinners out). Other than that, I'm not opposed to taking a couple sips from my husband's drink if I truly enjoy whatever he's having. If I don't care for the particular beer or wine he ordered, it's not problem for me to go without tasting.
  • imagecikangell:

I had a lovely mojito the day before I got my BFP, and since then I've had one glass of champagne at a wedding and one half glass of wine on our anniversary. I'll probably have another glass of champagne at a wedding in mid-August, and that will be it.

The thing I miss most is Belgian beer. I used to work in the beer industry, and I miss not getting to sample the newest micro-imports as they come out. Ah well, something to look forward to after Thanksgiving..:o)

MMMMMM Belgian beer (droool)

I've been drinking those 'near beer' that are 0.5% and some of them are surprisingly yummy, especially when it's hot out.

I'm looking forward to some red wine, but am hesitant to buy a whole bottle (because I'd be tempted to drink it, haha). I can't bring myself to order a glass in a restaurant because I'd be afraid of being judged. I'd rather do it at home. Looking forward to it, waiting until I'm a little farther along....waiting...waiting...

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagekateNovemberBaby:
    I'm looking forward to some red wine, but am hesitant to buy a whole bottle (because I'd be tempted to drink it, haha). I can't bring myself to order a glass in a restaurant because I'd be afraid of being judged. I'd rather do it at home. Looking forward to it, waiting until I'm a little farther along....waiting...waiting...

Same here (well, white wine for me...). I had half a glass when we went out for my birthday dinner, but I wasn't showing much then.  My husband's mainly a beer drinker (ugh, I can't stand the stuff!), so if I bought a bottle it would mostly go to waste...

• Yes, I've had a half of glas of wine here and there. I'm not really a big drinker so I would say its far and between. I think its fine as long as its every blue moon and not regular. I did the same with my other two kids and never had an issue.
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I drink a little less than I normally would. I'm not much of a drinker, every couple of weeks or so I would have 1-3 drinks. So now I have one drink every couple of weeks to a month, and I've pretty much stuck with wine. I did have a couple of carefully measured mixed drinks (crown and coke, greyhound), but my tolerance for alcohol went out the window when I got pregnant, so I sipped on each of those for more than an hour.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"