3rd Trimester

Gender change!

I went to the hospital about ten weeks ago for pain and decreased fetal movement. The doctor there told me she couldn't see a scrotum on the ultrasound, so logic said "You're having a girl."

Today, I went to my doctor to get a ultrasound to confirm (as best they could) my DD. Turns out I'm having a boy.

Has this happened to anyone else? How did you feel?

I feel lost, uncomfortable and kind of upset. And I don't really know why.

Re: Gender change!

• How far along are you? 

If you're still early in 3rd tri, and your 1st u/s was when you were ~17w, I'm surprised they didn't qualify the gender guess with a BIG grain of salt at that first u/s.  The babies are so small at that point that it can be really hard to tell.  

This last ultrasound where they told you it was a boy - did they get some definite shots of the boy parts and were they confident in their assessment? 

July 20th, 2012: Never forget the day the fb douchebags tried so hard, but ultimately failed. Viva la October 2011! Yeah, I called you douchebags.

BFP 1/18/11, EDD 10/1/11. Born at 37w5d on 9/15/11. AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

***BFP Chart***

"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning.

• I'm 32 weeks.

Oh yeah, the tech could not stop commenting on how big his penis is. I was embarrassed for him!

• Loading the player...
  • Ahhhh!

I had several nightmares about this. I have had 3 confirmations of girl now.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • atackatack member

I too worried for weeks about this because at 17 weeks I was told girl, then again at 20 weeks confirmed girl, and I just went for a growth scan at 32 weeks and got another confirmation.  If I was told at 20 weeks it was a boy I would have been totally fine emotionally because I wouldn't have invested in having "a girl" quite yet, yea the walls make have been pink, but that's just paint. 

I didn't think I'd get another u/s until doc sent me for the growth and I had a fear that she would pop out a he.  Sooo...really do you care it's a boy instead of a girl, probably not because it's your child and you'll love it whether a girl or a boy, but you probably are more emotionally mixed up with preparing for a girl the past 10 weeks.  I understand your "frustration" or sadness, but it's kinda exciting and new now all over again!!!  I guess you have about 8 weeks to prepare for a little boy now!  I think that's pretty fun and what a story to tell! 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Pregnancy Ticker
  • It happened to me, but I didn't find out until three days before DS was born.

We were told girl at 20 wks and 22 wks, told boy at 39 wks 3 days.

It feels like a loss in a way. You "knew" this little girl you were carrying and you planned for her and now she's gone. To this day I still feel like I was pregnant with a girl but had a boy. lol. It's ok to cry or take a few days to adjust.  Now I can't imagine having a girl instead of DS.  Once I met him my mind never went back to the "girl" I carried.

• imageHappyAardvark:

How far along are you? 

If you're still early in 3rd tri, and your 1st u/s was when you were ~17w, I'm surprised they didn't qualify the gender guess with a BIG grain of salt at that first u/s.  The babies are so small at that point that it can be really hard to tell.  

This last ultrasound where they told you it was a boy - did they get some definite shots of the boy parts and were they confident in their assessment? 

17wks is not too early to find out, with accuracy.

• imagemooninlv:
    imageHappyAardvark:

How far along are you? 

17wks is not too early to find out, with accuracy.

Amen!

Also, OP mentioned tech said she "couldn't see a scrotom" and that's why she assumed girl... she never saw the 3 lines or got the clear shot.

OP, it will take some getting used to and like people said it's okay to be upset and feel a bit of sadness.... I bet though, once you hold that baby in your arms it won't matter!

• All the techs I had u/s with said they would not call the sex based on not seeing something, and I'm glad for that based on mistakes like this. They would only call it if they could definitively see one or the other.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • This is one of the reasons we are team green. I would not feel 100% confident in an u/s because I know they can be wrong sometimes. They only way to know for sure is to wait until the baby is actually here (or with genetic testing, but even then I have heard of lab errors).
    imageimage
  • imageCurbsideProphet:
    This is one of the reasons we are team green. I would not feel 100% confident in an u/s because I know they can be wrong sometimes. They only way to know for sure is to wait until the baby is actually here (or with genetic testing, but even then I have heard of lab errors).

I wish I had your patience. I was set on being team green until it came down to it and I was like "I NEED TO KNOW!" Maybe next time around I'll let myself be surprised.  

• Just today my doc said he was delivered this morning a boy that everyone thought was a girl! It happens, but not too often. He did say the LO was very shy many times, and he had warned the mother that he was not too confident.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageAyeWynn:

Totally normal... The baby you thought you knew is now someone new to you! It'll take time to adjust to it. 

BabyGaga
    Pregnancy # 6
    4 missed chances
    2 loving children
    1 on the way
  • imageCurbsideProphet:
    This is one of the reasons we are team green. I would not feel 100% confident in an u/s because I know they can be wrong sometimes. They only way to know for sure is to wait until the baby is actually here (or with genetic testing, but even then I have heard of lab errors).

This.  We are team green.  DH's cousin was told she was having a girl - found out it was a boy in the delivery room. 

• imageAyeWynn:

I went to the hospital about ten weeks ago for pain and decreased fetal movement. The doctor there told me she couldn't see a scrotum on the ultrasound, so logic said "You're having a girl."

Today, I went to my doctor to get a ultrasound to confirm (as best they could) my DD. Turns out I'm having a boy.

Has this happened to anyone else? How did you feel?

This has been a fear in the back of my mind for months now. I got my ultrasound at 20 weeks and they said it was a girl but I'm paranoid a little and am scared it might be a boy. Just like God's way of saying "hahaha, just kidding!"

I understand why you are upset. It's not about you loving the baby any more or less due to the sex, it's just that you've invested all this emotion in having and planning for a girl. As a few PPs stated, take a few days to adjust but then you've got to move on...and enjoy your little boy :)

• imageCurbsideProphet:

This is us too. People have told me that they feel like they know their baby if they know the gender. What if that gender is incorrect? Personally, I like getting to know my baby without assigning it a gender, and still being able to really wonder  who this little person is.

• I only had one ultrasound (at 20 weeks), but the 4D shots showed in way too graphic detail that we're having a boy. I was little embarrassed for the little guy too. His hands were covering his face but his legs were wide open. Poor kid. I skipped over that part when I showed my parents the DVD of the ultrasound and just said trust me, it's a boy.

Now the big question is whether or not he's a dog person. If not, he's going to be very sad growing up in this house. Wink

• That would be so hard.  Everything you are feeling is completely normal.  I had wanted a girl so bad but we are having a boy.  Now that I "know" this little guy inside of me I couldn't imagine anything else.  My mom keeps thinking the U/S was wrong and that we are having a girl...but the thought of it would devistate me.  It would make me feel like I had to say goodbye to my little boy before I even got to meet him.  (we have had 3 ultrasounds and I saw the scrotum...so I know it's a boy! lol ) I know many people have said this, but once you see your little man you wont be able to imagine anything else than what he is.  It's ok to greive.  In a way you lost the image of your daughter...but you are going to have a beautiful baby boy who will be your world.  Very sorry to hear this happened to you.  <3 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker photo15Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • my question is , i had an utlrasound at 18wks and they said boy and to me it looked like it , but is there a possiblity its a girl . does that stuff happen quite often. you are raising questions in my mind. i hope evrything works out for you . either way the baby will be loved.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"