1st Trimester

Good books for first time Moms?

Does anyone recommend anything besides "What to Expect When You are Expecting?"  I find this book very boring.  I am looking for some like "The Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy."  I am already almost done with that one.

Thanks!

BabyFruit Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker

Re: Good books for first time Moms?

• i liked the book Pregnancy Week to week...

had pictures of the development and info and some excerises and stretches to use.. i found it pretty useful my first time around

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageStephCripps:

i liked the book Pregnancy Week to week...

had pictures of the development and info and some excerises and stretches to use.. i found it pretty useful my first time around

I second this.  I loved it when I was pregnant with DD.  Each week I'd read the section for the week I was on and find out about what was happening that week and things I should be aware of.  DH read it too, and he loved being informed about what was going on.  I did get freaked out when I go to like week 38 and there was a picture of what a 10 cm circle looks like...I immediately thought "My baby has to come out of THAT?!" LOL

• Loading the player...
  • Belly Laughs - gives you a good laugh about what you've experienced and whats to come!
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • A Child is Born  - I grew up reading my parents' copy of this and have read through it in every pregnancy... amazing, amazing book. 

The Mother of All Pregnancy Books - best pregnancy guide I have ever found.

Caleb.02.01.08 | Asher.07.06.09 | Jude.01.19.12
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Mama Jan's Kitchen... a food blog
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I'll Never Have Sex With You Again

and

for the love of all that is holy buy Baby Bargains before you start shopping and BELIEVE what they say.   There is some cute, expensive crap out there and you will be tempted.  STOP, use the book, check it out.

• Great book, i read it in one night!!!
  • The Baby Whisperer by Tracy Hogg was a lifesaver for us in the first 3 months after our little girl was born. I wish I had read it before she came - it took a few weeks for my sleep-deprived brain to comprehend the words on the page. It really helped me figure out what to do with the little bundle I brought home.

Also - The Happiest Baby on the Block dvd was a great help with swaddling and other soothing techniques.

• Thank you!  I have a nice list going now.  That should keep me busy for a while.

This is such a great resource!

BabyFruit Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker
  • HATED What to Expect. Read "Bun in the Oven" by Kaz Cooke. She is hysterical, and gives an honest and witty guide to pregnancy that includes all the scientific development stuff you want in an easy to read format. Loved it with DS. I even read parts to DH, and I am reading it again this time around!
  • I also HATED What to Expect.  I thought Dr. Sears' Baby Book was the best "handbook" type book.  I also enjoyed Ina May's Guide to Childbirth. Good luck! 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • The baby bumb book ( obvi by the bump ) didnt realize the connection til i started reading it but its really helpful like the site

Pregnancy Sucks - Joanna Kimes , its real stories, solutions and info on your pregnancy from day one. Very comical so cheers me up on rough days

And the DH got a man (picture) book with some words (lol) Show Dad How - Shawn Bean. Its actaully keeping him focused to reading and has taught him some nice stuff, id say worth a pick up for the dads 

:)

• i hated What to Expect When you are Expecting. hated it and the subsequent books.

Mayo Clinc Guide to healthy pregnancy, is awesome. it is an excellent pregnancy book. very informative.  

wish i could find the Dr. Sears book around town.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • hated: WTEWYE

loved: Pregnancy Week by Week!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Seconding Dr. Sears and Ina May Gaskin!

I was a little disappointed when my Doc's CNM recommended What to Expect.

I'm also reading Your Best Birth(ladies that did Business of Being Born) and Girlfriend's guide...

• I'm currently reading "Get Me Out," which is a history of childbirth.  It is very cool to see how cultural and societal mores influenced how delivery was achieved in different eras. 

https://www.amazon.com/Get-Me-Out-History-Childbirth/dp/0393339068/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309296777&sr=8-1

image"">image"">imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • As someone has mentioned, "The Baby Whisperer" is a great book. I highly recommended for getting your baby on a schedule.

Bravado Bras at Nurtured Family
  • Check out Belly Laughs by Jenny McCarthy....so funny! 
  • Jenny McCarthy's "belly laughs" really brings to light the humor of all the things going on with our bodies. I never laughed sooooo hard in my life!
  • I loved the book "Belly Laughs" it's hilarious yet very honest.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • The book that helped allay my fears the most was The Birth Partner. It is designed to be read by moms and dads for the coach to learn how to be as supportive as possible during delivery. It really informed and relaxed me. In fact, my husband and I used some of the strategies to have our first baby without an epidural. I am two months away from having my second baby and I'm planning to reread it.
  • The book that helped allay my fears the most was The Birth Partner. It is designed to be read by moms and dads for the coach to learn how to be as supportive as possible during delivery. It really informed and relaxed me. In fact, my husband and I used some of the strategies to have our first baby without an epidural. I am two months away from having my second baby and I'm planning to reread it.
  • I dont recommend 'Belly Laughs'. It is very honest, yes, but it is really just 120 pages of her bitching. I thought it might give some remedies that worked for her, and it might work for some of the things I'm feeling but there were none. Complete waste of money.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"