2nd Trimester

Meds during Pregnancy Question

Hey All, 

So I've been suffering from depression during this pregnancy. In fact after a miscarriage a few months back, I developed severe depression. My doctors think it is all related to hormones as the only other time in my life I was depressed was post partum with my son.

Anyway I have started 10mg of Prozac after much thought and research. My question to all of you is did you or are you taking an antidepressant and if so what type and dose? Any complications with baby?

I can recognize and appreciate how incredibly blessed I am in my life, but I can't feel it right now. It's a nightmare. I guess I am just looking for hope. 

Thanks for sharing!!! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Meds during Pregnancy Question

• i don't have any advice, but i just wanted to offer sympathy. it's not easy to admit you need medication for depression, and there's so much stigma around pregnancy and meds. i hope you begin to feel better and know that you're making the best decision for both you and your baby. there are definitely situations where the pain (physical or emotional) that mom is feeling is worse for the baby than the meds to make it better. much luck and here's hoping for a happier & healthier next few months for you.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker White Knot

• I am on 20mg of Prozac a day, and have been since my son was 1 and was finally diagnosed with postpartum anxiety. My Dr says it is completely fine to take during pregnancy. He said that if we wanted to be extra conservative, that I could stop taking it around 36 weeks since the only really bad thing about taking them during the end of pregnancy is that the baby will have it in its system and have to detox. I think I will probably stop taking it around 36 weeks and then start up again once the baby is born.
  • Loading the player...
  • imageKflie83:
    I am on 20mg of Prozac a day, and have been since my son was 1 and was finally diagnosed with postpartum anxiety. My Dr says it is completely fine to take during pregnancy. He said that if we wanted to be extra conservative, that I could stop taking it around 36 weeks since the only really bad thing about taking them during the end of pregnancy is that the baby will have it in its system and have to detox. I think I will probably stop taking it around 36 weeks and then start up again once the baby is born.

Thanks for sharing! Good to know I'm not alone.

• I am on 100mg of zoloft.  I have been on it for 16 years.  I tried going off it last August when we started TTC, I wasn't doing great, but I was OK.  I miscarried in Nov and my OB still thought I should try and stick it out.  I was really not good, I switched OB's when we moved in March and she took one look at me and said she would prefer to put me back on.  She and the psychiatrist she sent me to are going to discuss whether they think it's a good idea to lower the doseage for the third trimester. 

You are not alone.  I'm around if you want to talk.

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• Not to scare anyone there have been multiple links of birth defects with taking anti-depressents while pregnant. If  you don't  know my story my LO has been diagnosed with spina bifida and there is a lawsuit being looked into for the makers of numerous SSRI's or anti-depressent meds  that have caused neural tube defects,heart,and brain defects. I fully intend in talking to a lawyer  to see what action can be taken in my case.I began taking prozac when my first son was around 10 months old for late post partum depression, since hearing about all of this I have begun to feel a little guilty for possible harming my kiddo because even though my NP told me there were not many risks associated with prozac during pregnancy I continued to take it until around 12 weeks.Here is a link that may help  www.ssri-birth-defect.com
    pregnancy due date Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • imageslockhart:
    Not to scare anyone there have been multiple links of birth defects with taking anti-depressents while pregnant. If  you don't  know my story my LO has been diagnosed with spina bifida and there is a lawsuit being looked into for the makers of numerous SSRI's or anti-depressent meds  that have caused neural tube defects,heart,and brain defects. I fully intend in talking to a lawyer  to see what action can be taken in my case.I began taking prozac when my first son was around 10 months old for late post partum depression, since hearing about all of this I have begun to feel a little guilty for possible harming my kiddo because even though my NP told me there were not many risks associated with prozac during pregnancy I continued to take it until around 12 weeks.Here is a link that may help  www.ssri-birth-defect.com

Um, yes this scares the crap out of me.  So what are you doing about your depression since stopping your prozac? Sorry about your LO.  

• I have been med free for 13 weeks I am a looney tune but its managable. I dont want to take anything besides what is ok for baby now knowing the complications my baby has.
    pregnancy due date Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I was on 30mg of Celexa when I became pregnant and shortly after started weaning off until about 13 weeks. I have been feeling pretty good w/ out it so far but would go back on it if i started having severe anxiety symptoms again. The risks are actually pretty minimal w/ SSRIs from most research. None of these drugs will prob. ever be truly declared "safe" because there will never be double blind studies on pregnant women. They are all historical evidence studies. You just have to weigh the risk vs benefits and see what is good for you. Being severely depressed or anxious during pregnancy is a risk to the baby as well. Obv i can't say the outcome of me using SSRI during first trimester yet but I'm not overly concerned.
  • I'd been on lexapro for a few years after my dad's death and divorce from my first husband.  My PCP recommended stopping it a few months before TTC.  Luckily, I got pregnant right away and while the first tri was a little touch and go, I'm feeling good now.  Are you seeing a therapist?  There are actually psychiatrists and other mental health providers that specialize in women's reproductive health.  I know it's not the same as meds, but it can help significantly.  The other thing that's helped me is to ask my DH for help - he knows some of the things that upset me/set me off and he can kind of help point them out.  I'm not explaining that well, but basically he helps me see when things aren't the huge deal I'm making them out to be, etc.  I realize everyone's triggers are different, so this may not work for you.  The other advice my therapist gave me was to get plenty of rest and exercise (although the rest is what's helping me most, I think) and to give yourself a break.  If you feel like sh!t one day, let yourself take it easy with a pedi or movie day.  GL
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageJessieP76:
    I'd been on lexapro for a few years after my dad's death and divorce from my first husband.  My PCP recommended stopping it a few months before TTC.  Luckily, I got pregnant right away and while the first tri was a little touch and go, I'm feeling good now.  Are you seeing a therapist?  There are actually psychiatrists and other mental health providers that specialize in women's reproductive health.  I know it's not the same as meds, but it can help significantly.  The other thing that's helped me is to ask my DH for help - he knows some of the things that upset me/set me off and he can kind of help point them out.  I'm not explaining that well, but basically he helps me see when things aren't the huge deal I'm making them out to be, etc.  I realize everyone's triggers are different, so this may not work for you.  The other advice my therapist gave me was to get plenty of rest and exercise (although the rest is what's helping me most, I think) and to give yourself a break.  If you feel like sh!t one day, let yourself take it easy with a pedi or movie day.  GL

Yes, I am going to see a Therapist.See after my miscarriage in January I was having major panic attacks/anxiety which quickly lead to depression. I went on an antidepressant ( Effexor 75 mg) for the first time in my life and after two weeks I started feeling completely better. After only one month of being on the Effexor I found out I was pregnant...we weren't really TTC.

I was excited but nervous as I just started feeling better. So my doctors told me to go off the Effexor. No more than 3 days after being off it, the depression came back. I didn't want to take anything in the first trimester, so I suffered with it for 4 weeks. Finally about 10 days ago I went on Prozac. It isn't helping yet. My depression is constantly with me and always in my thoughts. I just want to feel good again and not think about depression anymore. I'm worried that this isn't good for the baby.

Sorry to go on. Thanks for your insights. 

• I think that meds can take up to three weeks to work.  Your quick (and positive) reaction to the Effexor may have been unusual.  What does your OB think?  I wonder if you can schedule time for your OB and therapist (and psychiatrist, if there's a separate one prescribing) can meet to discuss the situation?  You can weigh the pros and cons of the meds against the pros and cons of how you feel and how the depression may be impacting your pregnancy.  Good luck.  I know a lot of us can relate to just wanted to feel good again.  You will, it just will take a little time to get there.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I have been taking zoloft 100 mg a day for 5 years. Before we started TTC I decided to stop, but it didn't work for me. I was miserable. I talked to 3 doctors and all of them said it was fine to take it during pregnancy. I am almost 19 weeks pregnant and the baby looks ok ( I just had the Anatomy scan ultrasound done). I am trusting the doctors and continue taking it. I started taking it every other day and I still feel fine. I did a lot of research online before getting pregnant and I haven't read anything bad about prozac and zoloft in pregnancy.
  • I am not a doctor or a scientist I was just simply telling this thread what I knew regarding meds and babies and my experience. So sue me
  • I am on 20mg of Citalopram ( going down to 10mg) - I had 2 m/c's before this pregnancy stuck so I feel your pain! I went to my dr the other day telling her I want to go off because I feel like I don't need it anymore and I feel guilty every time I take it. She has told me over and over again that it is "safe" and that the mental health of the mother is far more dangerous. She is also worried about post partum, and so am I as my mom suffers from severe depression.

It's so hard though. First it's hard to admit we need the drugs, and then it's hard to imagine what they might be doing to our babies. My midwife didn't bat an eye when I told her so I am just going to trust that I am doing what is right for baby and me and revisit the situation maybe 6 months after the birth.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageshoestringmommy:

I am on 20mg of Citalopram ( going down to 10mg) - I had 2 m/c's before this pregnancy stuck so I feel your pain! I went to my dr the other day telling her I want to go off because I feel like I don't need it anymore and I feel guilty every time I take it. She has told me over and over again that it is "safe" and that the mental health of the mother is far more dangerous. She is also worried about post partum, and so am I as my mom suffers from severe depression.

It's so hard though. First it's hard to admit we need the drugs, and then it's hard to imagine what they might be doing to our babies. My midwife didn't bat an eye when I told her so I am just going to trust that I am doing what is right for baby and me and revisit the situation maybe 6 months after the birth.

Thanks for sharing! Our situations sound very similiar. I went to 3 different OB docs in my practice and they all were fine with me being on an antidepressant. I actually am not feeling better yet and may consider to upping the dose to 20 mg. Again my docs were perfectly fine with it. It is hard to admit you need the meds, but the more I sit with it I think it wouldn't be any different if I needed meds for seizures or diabetes.  

• I've been on 50mg of Zoloft for 10 years.  I stayed on it during my first pregnancy and my son is completely fine.  I'm on it during this pregnancy too.  Those people that think it's best for baby if mom doesn't take her NEEDED anti-depressants have obviously never suffered from depression.  I firmly believe if I spent 9 months in my continuous depressive state that I would not be caring for my growing baby as best as I could.  I know a baby, even while still inside of me, would reap the repercussions of a miserable mommy.  It's much better for baby and me if I'm not depressed every.single.day.  Don't feel guilty!  If you need them, take them.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imageteresadrew17:
    I've been on 50mg of Zoloft for 10 years.  I stayed on it during my first pregnancy and my son is completely fine.  I'm on it during this pregnancy too.  Those people that think it's best for baby if mom doesn't take her NEEDED anti-depressants have obviously never suffered from depression.  I firmly believe if I spent 9 months in my continuous depressive state that I would not be caring for my growing baby as best as I could.  I know a baby, even while still inside of me, would reap the repercussions of a miserable mommy.  It's much better for baby and me if I'm not depressed every.single.day.  Don't feel guilty!  If you need them, take them.

• imageslockhart:
    I am not a doctor or a scientist I was just simply telling this thread what I knew regarding meds and babies and my experience. So sue me

I"m not sure if i missed something but no one seems to have said anything negative to your comment. Your entitled to state your opinion. I agree that there have been some studies that show a slight increase in birth defects and that should be taken into consideration when chosing to continue our medicine or not. That is where the indecision comes into play.  Nothing is 100% safe and every person has to decide what is best for them.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"