2nd Trimester

Changing gender??

After some serious spotting in June, my OB scheduled me for an ultrasound just to be sure everything was okay. Everything healthy, the sono tech asked if she could see and make a good guess, would we want to know the sex of the baby (at only 14 weeks 5 days). She told us not to paint any rooms yet because it is possible for things to change...my scheduled ultrasound is a week from Friday (at 18 weeks 6 days) and although she said she was pretty positive, I'm kind of nervous to see if it has changed! Has this happened to anyone else? And have you heard of the sex changing very often in any similar cases? Just curious! (BTW, first guess was a girl!)

Also, anyone peeing as much as I am? I literally can walk out of a bathroom and feel like I need to cross my legs again. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Changing gender??

• Ive read, like ummmm three of four posts, lately that were about this... being told one gender only to find out weeks later its the other.

• I had an ultrasound done at 14 weeks also, and the tech said the same thing- don't buy clothes, don't paint the room, but I'm 70% certain it's a boy. She said there's a "line" that when it faces one way, it's generally a boy, and if it faces the other way, a girl. I'm not quite sure what the line could be for a girl, but whatever.  So when we went back at 20 weeks, sure enough, it's a boy!!! Of course, 3 out of 10 people will say that they heard they were having one or the other and then it turned out to be the opposite at birth, but I'd say go with what she said, and your gut (and I also believe in the "how you're carrying" thing... if you've just got a lil basketball, it's prob a boy.  If you seem to be gaining everywhere, it's prob a girl. Not an exact science, but it's held true with all of my friends!)
  • Loading the player...
  • I kind of asked this a while back and like someone told me, you wont really know for sure until the baby is born :) sorry!  My friend was told all throughout her pregnancy she was having a girl, had all the clothing and little things, nursery set up... and she had a boy!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • QmommyQmommy member

imagesparkel206:

(and I also believe in the "how you're carrying" thing... if you've just got a lil basketball, it's prob a boy.  If you seem to be gaining everywhere, it's prob a girl. Not an exact science, but it's held true with all of my friends!)

This was not true for me.  I was all belly and carried her like a basketball.  She's 100% girly girl.  

OP:  Why are you nervous if the sex determination changes?   If it does, then you'll adjust to having a boy well before he shows his handsome face to the world.  Take it easy and enjoy having your inside baby (be it girl or boy).

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • 2-Step2-Step member

imageheathermc28:
    I kind of asked this a while back and like someone told me, you wont really know for sure until the baby is born :) sorry!  My friend was told all throughout her pregnancy she was having a girl, had all the clothing and little things, nursery set up... and she had a boy!!

Yep, this happened to a friend of mine too! I think it is usually they say girl and it ends up being a boy. Most of the time a boy is pretty unmistakable because if you see the boy parts then they are there, with a girl the boy parts could just be hiding. Both of mine were very obviously boys, but if I had a girl I would be so nervous to buy, just because my friend went through that!

• I think I should have said anxious instead of nervous! I've gotten used to thinking of 'it' as a girl for a few weeks now and have bought a few things (kept ALL receipts though!). I'm also pretty "basketbally" if you can even call it that yet. I haven't gained any weight yet and my only bulging is pretty high.
  • That's insane! I understand how that can happen, but holy cow!
  • imagecrh1221:
    Also, anyone peeing as much as I am? I literally can walk out of a bathroom and feel like I need to cross my legs again. 

Y E S... it's NUTS!!

Follow Me on Pinterest
    Aniston Elizabeth, born @37wks, 12-8-11.. 7lbs & 19in.. 100% PERFECT!
    Blog Time!!
    the 3 faces of Aniston @ 6wks...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • With DS we found out at 15w6d and she said she was bout 90% sure, it never changed. I do know a few ladies who were told around 14-15 weeks they were having a girl and by the 20 week u/s it was a boy.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagesparkel206:
    (and I also believe in the "how you're carrying" thing... if you've just got a lil basketball, it's prob a boy.  If you seem to be gaining everywhere, it's prob a girl. Not an exact science, but it's held true with all of my friends!)

Totally not true.  I have 4 girls and 2 boys and have carried the.exact.same.way. with all of them.

As for the original question...  At 13 wks, I was told that my last pregnancy was a girl. She said not to go out and buy stuff, but that she was pretty positive.  She was right, at my 20 wk u/s, she was still a she.

This time around, I was given a gender shot pic with a label...  She was 100% positive this time...  I go for my 20 wk u/s in about 3 wks.... guess we'll find out then.

• I had an elective ultrasound at 14w 1d and it was pretty darn obvious he was a boy...she said she would be shocked if it turned out otherwise. I didn't have any doubt for a couple weeks, but the closer it got to my a/s, I got nervous they could be wrong (and at that point, I was already 'used' to the idea of a boy). But, I had my a/s last week and the tech said he's 500% boy, There is no mistaking it. I think if the person if pretty experienced, the chances are very good that they are right. GL!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Me: 37 DH: 38 
    BFP #1 3/17/11 - DS born 12/4/11
    TFAS Dec 2013
    BFP #2 - 3/23/14 - CP 3/26/14
    BFP #3 - 8/20/14 - Natural Miscarriage 9/22/14
    BFP #4 - 1/28/15 - DS2 born 10/13/15
    Surprise BFP# 5 - 9/2/16 - Due 5/13/17

• imagecrh1221:

Yes to the peeing. Somedays i feel pretty normal then others i feel like i just got out of bathroom and i had no relief.

• imagesparkel206:
    I (and I also believe in the "how you're carrying" thing... if you've just got a lil basketball, it's prob a boy.  If you seem to be gaining everywhere, it's prob a girl. Not an exact science, but it's held true with all of my friends!)

Not true for me either, with DD i was all belly and looked like i shoved a basketball up my shirt and with DS i gain weight everywhere. And again im carrying like i shoved a basketball up my shirt, so im thinking girl. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersimage Photobucket
  • I wouldnt go by that at all.  I was told at week 13 and 18 it was a boy and at week 20 a girl and now at 24 weeks we still arent sure. 
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyName Ticker
  • Sure it can happen, even people who find out at 20 weeks can be surprised once baby is delivered... I've seen it happen to someone I know! they even decorated the baby's nursery with monster trucks and everything... so they were surprised when the doctor announced it was a girl. These things are not 100% so always be prepared. Technology has come a long way tho and they are right way more then wrong now a days. I hope its a girl!!!!! 

And I have been peeing more lately and feel a pressure on my bladder more lately also. I dont pee as often as some people.. i think last night i got up three times. Super annoying lol 

• Yessss :) I did an elective 3d u/s at 16 weeks and was told a boy....and then my scheduled 20 week u/s at my doc office confirmed it is def a girl on the way! Hehe, I am super excited, but now a little nervous. My first reaction....um how does a little wee wee disappear??? Apparently, when they are so young, the little lady parts can be swollen and appear to be boyish :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"