Babies: 0 - 3 Months

hiccups?

My baby is a week old tomorrow and seems to get hiccups a lot after feeding.  any tricks on how to stop them?  I don't like seeing my baby suffer.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image image

Re: hiccups?

• Hiccups are totally normal and don't cause any discomfort to your LO. It's part of them learning how to suck/swallow/breathe effectively and is pretty common. Don't be too concerned! :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • DD gets them all the time too!  I hate it.  Usually though, we can "eat them out of her."  Patting her back and all the normal burping moves don't work.  Since she is awake when she has the hiccups, she is usually up for eating at least a little more--even if she seems full.  When she will eat, it usually takes less than a minute before they stop.
  • Loading the player...
  • imagehepcats:
    Hiccups are totally normal and don't cause any discomfort to your LO.

Although I agree that they are normal, I don't know if I agree about not causing any discomfort.  When my LO has the hiccups for a long period of time, she typically will get very fussy until they finally stop.

• DS gets them all the time. If he seems bothered by them I will nurse him and they go away after a couple of minutes.
  • mine got hiccups CONSTANTLY. but as he got older he got them less and less. he's 3 1/2 months now and he barely gets them anymore. just a NB thing i guess

Wedding Countdown Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My LO will sometimes get fierce hiccups after he eats that cause him to projectile vomit everything out of his tummy :(  This is not a regular thing luckily.  Like some pp's have said, nursing makes it go away for my LO 100% of the time and usually only takes a minute or two.
  • DS gets them a lot and he's only 5 weeks now, they don't seem to bother him and they don't bother me, but for some reason family members think I'm terrible for letting him hiccup without doing anything about it, well if it's not bothering him and he's alert and happy, why try and force them out of him? Usually he'll sneeze a couple times after he gets them and they go away, they just happen, big deal
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'll usually just wait until they go away, but if they're causing her reflux to get worse or she seems really unhappy, gripe water seems to make them go away immediately.
    DSC_1342
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers

• DD #1 would constantly get hiccups.  DD #2 also gets them often.  Someone recently told me that when she gets the hiccups it's because she is cold or has a wet diaper.  Sure enough, when I check her, she is always wet or chilly.  It could just be a coincidence, but when I change her or wrap her in a blanket, they seem to go away within a few minutes.
  • My LO has the same thing...she gets them all the time at least 3-4 times a day.  I have asked the LC and the Dr about it and they both say it is normal and as long as it does not appear to affect their eating or sleeping it is fine. 

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagehepcats:
    Hiccups are totally normal and don't cause any discomfort to your LO. It's part of them learning how to suck/swallow/breathe effectively and is pretty common. Don't be too concerned! :)
    This. Try feeding your LO. The milk flow can sometimes stop the hiccups.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"