3rd Trimester

Unwanted Baby Gifts

Looking back on how long I spent putting together my baby registry, I shake my head and laugh. I think that I was the only one who looked at it. LOL Just had my baby shower, and it's true, people will gift you whatever they like, whether or not you want or need it. It's the thought that counts, right? Just wish that I wouldn't have wasted so much time on the registry....

SO, I have a lot of unwanted gifts & not enough receipts. Fortunately, some of them still have tags & look like they came from Wally World. Hopefully, I can get in-store credit for them. The non-returnable gifts will have to go to charity.  

What are you doing with your unwanted baby gifts? 

pregnancy calendar BabyName Ticker

Re: Unwanted Baby Gifts

• be thankful anyone got you anything. its a gift. 

if you dont know where you got them you can always keep them and regift to someone else. or give them to charity. 

• I would not necessarily go through and give stuff away/return stuff just because you don't want it quite yet.

You may never know down the line what you may or may not need, what baby may or may not like and what may or may not just come in handy.

Just because it's not on the registry doesn't mean it's useless.

Return what you REALLY don't want and then see about the rest.

I have received very few unwanted baby gifts (and I didn't even make a registry). The few things that were just awful or something really useless to me I returned. A few other things I'm saving for regifts or to pass on to friends/family I know would use it.

• Loading the player...
  • imagekjg5445:

be thankful anyone got you anything. its a gift. 

if you dont know where you got them you can always keep them and regift to someone else. or give them to charity. 

*eye roll* Didn't say anything about being ungrateful...and when you have ten things of the same teddy bear, I'd say that you may want give one or two of them away. Geesh.  

pregnancy calendar BabyName Ticker
  • imageSugarQueen101:
    imagekjg5445:

*eye roll* Didn't say anything about being ungrateful...and when you have ten things of the same teddy bear, I'd say that you may want give one or two of them away. Geesh.  

LOL  Can't please everyone. I was one of the people who had an on-line registry, and hardly anyone used it...everyone wanted an in-store one...I'm sure people would have still gotten me what they wanted anyways.  And nothing is more pathetic than a woman in her last weeks of pregnancy trying to find out which things to return to what store. I didn't register for a stitch of clothing...I got approx 65 outfits..lol  So I brought those back...most stores take pity on you and will look up items for you without a problem.  I managed to get quite a few big tix items with those exchanges. 

I recommend exchanging as much as possible, and not regifting...why do the same thing to someone else?  (when at all possible, of course)

• I can relate. I've had a two surprise showers with another coming up this weekend. I'm so lucky to have such caring friends and family; however, I am getting overwhelmed by some of the stuff. I have seven diaper bags, 10 baby blankets, 15 baby washcloths, and probably 30 newborn size outfits...all without receipts. I'm grateful for their generosity, but I also feel bad because I don't have the room or use for all of it. I hate that people spent their money on gifts that won't be used. I've been driving around to different stores all week trying to identify where some came from to make exchanges! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I know people on these boards state "just take back the gifts you don't want", but it's a huge process.  I only received ONE gift receipt for the 40 gifts I received.  I managed to find out where a few of the unwanted things came from.  So far I have a $33 store credit from JCPenney, a $17 store credit from Walmart and a $33 store credit from BRU.  The rest of the unwanted gifts will be sent to Goodwill, because I don't have any idea where they came from.... 

• I know at most major department stores or atleast at Babies R Us they could care less if you have a receipt, i returned a TON of duplicates that i got from my first shower (had some kind of issue with my registry where nothing was being taken off when it was being purchased and i got like 6 bathtubs and 3 baby monitor etc lol) -i only had like 2 or 3 receipts but the lady just scanned all the products and put all the money on a gift card for me which i then used to buy carts full of stuff after baby came and i realized what i really needed more of
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm lurking. It is super annoying, especially when they don't give you a reciept!!! My daughter is almost 10 weeks old and people are still buying her things (especially mother-in law) and not giving receipts. My mother in law keeps buying shoes, let me tell you they ARE NOT realistic! She bought her a 3month outfit the other day and my little one is growing out of 3 months so I sent her an email and she acted offended! I can't help it she can wear it once if you want, but I am just telling you shes growing out of them! lol!
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Most of my gifts were from Kohls, Target, and BRU. I would start at these stores. GL! 

• This is one reason that being team green rocks - we received almost everything we registered for, and not many things at all that weren't from the registry. Nobody likes searching for gender-neutral clothing. :-D

Jess & Adam, married 2009, precious Audrey born in 2011. BFP 1/6/13, 6-wk MMC discovered at 9 wks 2/11/13. D&C 2/18/13, second D&C 4/23/13 for retained placenta.
    BFP 8/24/13!! EDD 5/1/14, delivered healthy and sweet Zoey Leanne on 5/5/14 by repeat c-section.
  • I returned a few gifts to Walmart. Mostly clothes that I already had plenty of in newborn size. They gave me a gift card for the value of the returned items. I was happy with that. Some of the stuff didn't have tags on them, but it wasn't a problem- they found numbers on the items.

I also received some gifts that I wasn't going to be using from Amazon. I printed out a gift return label and put the stuff in the box and sent it back. A few days later I got an email saying I had a gift card for the value of the returned items. I used the gift card for things I wanted- a breathable bumper, bottle brush, baby photo album, and a diaper bag for DH. I'm pleased.

Lilypie Trying to Conceive 21 to 37 day cycle tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I made a registry and got no gifts at all from it. It was ok though because I used it as my personal check list. I just got diapers and bath supplies/a bath tub which I already had tons of so I returned them and got myself stuff from the registry. It was nice to have my registry so I knew what I had left to buy.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I returned duplicate gifts and things we couldn't or wouldn't use only. For instance I highly doubt I'll use 35+ bibs. I picked a variety and took back the rest. I got duplicates of some toys, and I got 15 teether's. I took some of those back as well. I then used that money toward other baby purchases. I only took back 2 outfits that were duplicates. I honestly tried to keep things I even THOUGHT we would use.
  • don't know if this is helpful at all, but walmart takes back anything they sell.  It it's mostly clothes you have issues with, that probably isn't helpful. 

We announced gender at our shower and still got hardly anything we registered for.  Don't get me wrong, we did get a lot of useful stuff (things i specifically didn't put on my registry cuz i knew people would buy) lol. 

• I was very lucky to mostly receive things from my registry.

I truly think people would rather you return something you don't really like and get something you'll use instead of having 8 lovies sitting around like I did.

• I received 5 floor gym thingys and none of them had receipts. You can look up the item on any one of the big stores they most likely came from: Walmart, Target, BRU, etc. My bro in law has an app on his IPad that scans the barcode and tells you who carries it. I returned EVERYTHING to BRU and they took EVERYTHING back, no questions asked. The lady did the return with receipts first, then registry items (a few books), and everything else last. I found some receipts later that said some of the items I returned came from Target.

Speaking of which, I accidently returned a bedding set to Target that came from BRU. I got all of the money back for it on a store credit with no receipt. Returning things isn't that big of a hassle. Just waddle your way to your favorite store, insist the item came from there, and they WILL return it. You could always use the store credit (diapers, wipes, formula, diapers...).

Good luck!!

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It can help to keep some extras at grandparents' homes, then you don't have to tote around certain items when baby goes to visit.

• imagekjg5445:

Reading fail. She just mentioned charity.

Relax.

• imageSugarQueen101:
    imagekjg5445:

LOL I was thinking the same thing!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"