November 2011 Moms

Symphysis pubis dysfunction

I have been having this pain in my pelvic area when I turn over in bed, putting on my pants, get out of the car, and sometimes when I walk(normally if I'm on my feet for a while). When the symptom first began, it was not too bad but it seems to be getting worse. I keep forgetting to ask my doc about it. So I googled the symptom and came across Symphysis pubis dysfunction or SPD. I was just wondering if anyone is experiencing this pain and is anything to help with it. I plan on asking my doc about it in 2 weeks but trying to find some relief until then.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Symphysis pubis dysfunction

• I actually have the same pain..my doctor stated you never feel this pelvic pain or even feeling the pain directly from your vagina at times during your first pregnancy. Its because our pelvic muscles have stretched from having more then one pregnancy. Its normal and suggested using a belly band. So I purchased one from Babies rus and have been better since. Hope this helps. I do remember having slight pain with my 2nd but this time around it was really horrible.
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have had terrible pelvic pain and I swear I could hear my pelvis shattering a few weeks ago when I tried to get up from laying down on the floor.  It comes and goes for a few days at a time and feels different with different activities (I can share the pain if I sit part of the day and stand part of the day between my tailbone pain and pelvic pain).

Since it gets better at times, I havent been too worried about it, although a few weeks ago it was number one on my list of questions to ask my doctor.  I assumed its my hips spreading and like my belly, its happening in stages.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I feel this pelvic pain every time I roll over in bed or get up from laying down on the couch.  OUCH!  It really hurts but I didn't know what it was! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'd look into exercises that you can do to help alleviate the pain.  A belly band/belt will support your belly, but it's not going to really fix the problem.  I would worry that it might get worse if you're not strengthening the surrounding muscles, but depending on the belt for support.  Maybe see if your OB knows of a physical therapist who specializes in prenatal PT or look up exercises online.  I have no idea if this is a good site, but in a quick google search of symphysis pubis dysfunction exercises, it came up: https://mutusystem.com/exercise-for-symphysis-pubis-dysfunction-spd-or-pelvic-girdle-pain-pgp-i-pregnancy-how-exercise-can-help.html

I hope you find some way to relieve the pain!

• Thanks everyone. I am going to look into your suggestions.
  • imageateasha:
    I actually have the same pain..my doctor stated you never feel this pelvic pain or even feeling the pain directly from your vagina at times during your first pregnancy. Its because our pelvic muscles have stretched from having more then one pregnancy. Its normal and suggested using a belly band. So I purchased one from Babies rus and have been better since. Hope this helps. I do remember having slight pain with my 2nd but this time around it was really horrible.

That is interesting and thanks for sharing. I already have a belly band so I will try using it and see if it provides any relief. Technically this is my 4th pregnancy. I have had 2 m/c between the birth of DD and this pregnancy. It had only been 2 months between the last m/c and the conception of LO. Not sure if that increases my chance of SPD but I noticed you said you had slight pain with 2nd and this one is horrible.

• imageateasha:
    I actually have the same pain..my doctor stated you never feel this pelvic pain or even feeling the pain directly from your vagina at times during your first pregnancy. Its because our pelvic muscles have stretched from having more then one pregnancy. Its normal and suggested using a belly band. So I purchased one from Babies rus and have been better since. Hope this helps. I do remember having slight pain with my 2nd but this time around it was really horrible.

Really? Because this is my first pregnancy and I feel this pain ALL the time. Especially getting up out of bed in the morning. It lessens throughout the day, but first thing in the morning it feels like I got punched in the vag.

imageimageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"