Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Those who are on Zoloft....

So after ignoring what might be PPD for 13 months, I have finally decided to ask for some help.  I'm not sure why I felt like I couldn't before but I guess that doesn't really matter.  After an appointment with my GP she is going to put me on Zoloft.  I have a few questions that I wanted to ask you mamas that are already on it. I wonder what side effects did you notice after starting zoloft?   My BIGGEST concern is that we want to have more children.  We are thinking that we will start trying next January or so.  My concern is, will I become dependent on the meds and then feel worse once I stop when I get pregnant than I do now?  

Would love any advice you have.

Thanks ladies 

Re: Those who are on Zoloft....

• Options
    My husband is on Zoloft.  I've been on a different med.  H really has no negative side effects.  Like most antidepressants, you need to wean yourself off of the med, but you can definitely go off of it at some point for a pregnancy.  My husband went off of it for a while and did okay, but did eventually need to go back on it.
  • Options

I've been on Zoloft for almost 18 months for PPD. My main reason for going on it was that I had a hard time with anxiety and feeling overwhelmed. it really helped so much. I tried to come off of it after a year, but I just wasn't able to do it, the old feelings were coming back. I am almost 2 weeks into a half dose now and I feel pretty good so far.

Side effects of the medication vary from person to person obviously, but mine were that I felt very even keeled all of the time (never really got happy about anything, never got sad about anything, it was weird), lost my sex drive completely, and have had trouble falling asleep at night.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm on it now. I was on ativan before Ella was born and then when I got PG with her I came off of it. I was taking it on rare occasions between having her and becoming pregnant. This pregnancy has been really hard on me and I was literally a puddle most days so my ob put me on a low dose of Zoloft. I didn't start it unitl my 2nd trimester so I don't know if that makes a difference.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers LilySlim Weight loss tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    MrsSRMrsSR member

I was on Zoloft for PPD.  After taking it a few months, I felt much better (I felt better right away actually) and haven't been on them since she was about 6 months old.

I've blogged about it.

https://emsvillage.blogspot.com/

• Options

I was on Zoloft when I was younger for about 2 years.  I had no problems with it.  After Ri was born... and MUCH denial, I finally asked my doctor be be put back on it.  Again, no problems.  I stopped taking it by accident (kinda long story) just before LO #2 was concieved so it wasn't an issue for me.  I do plan on taking it again when this baby is born. 

• Options
    I'm on a low dose of zoloft.  I took it for 2 months prior to ttc ds, the entire time I was pregnant with ds, nursing ds for 4 months, weaned off of it for about 6 months but really needed/wanted to be put back on after 6 months, continued to nurse ds until he was 17.5 months and I was pregnant with dd, throughout my pregnancy with dd, and now nursing dd for 3 months.  (basically 3.5 years, minus 6 months in the middle) I personally had no problems being on it while pregnant or nursing.  Both of my children are healthy and normal.  The side effects were ones I noticed when I first started (I lost my appetite and felt sick, and a little dizzy).  I would get a little dizzy when I weaned myself off, but as long as I did it slowly enough, I was okay.  It has helped me tremendously.  Good luck to you!
  • Options
    imagegreycoral:

I've been on Zoloft for almost 18 months for PPD. My main reason for going on it was that I had a hard time with anxiety and feeling overwhelmed. it really helped so much. I tried to come off of it after a year, but I just wasn't able to do it

This exactly. I've been on it a few other times in my life during other times of transition and always went off 6 months to a year later when things had settled back to normal. Having a baby and returning to work was def a difficult period of transition for me and I went back on it 18 months ago when A was a few weeks old. I just recently tried to come off and I didn't like the way I was feeling so went back on. I talked to my OB at my last appt a few months ago and she didn't really seem like she was really against it next pregnancy - oh, and I nursed for a year on it which she was fine with. I *think* the risk is during 3rd tri? I haven't researched it in depth yet, but I do see the class action law suit tv ads which makes me uneasy. My dr kind of chalked it up to the risk / reward trade-off.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Ask your doctor about your concern on drug dependency. Also, consider that Zoloft side effects can be really harmful, as warned by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Suicidal behavior and birth defects to infants are the major side effects of the drug.
  • Options
    I just weaned myself off last week after being on it since Abby was a couple months old.  I was also taking it for PPD.  I was only taking 50mg so it was a very low dose.  The only side effect I had was weight gain.  Weaning off was easy.  I had tried in the past to just stop taking it and that was terrible...for me and the family.  So, a couple wks ago I started splitting the pill in half.  After a few days, I cut it in quarters and here we are.  I feel great.  Zoloft really helped with the PPD. Good luck.  I hope you feel better.  18 months is a long time to suffer.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"