August 2011 Moms

Breast Pump Question

Just about everybody I know has reccomended the Medela breast pump but I was wondering if any of you 2 time moms would reccomend another brand.  Just want to compare before making my purchase and BRU is having a great sale on breast pumps this weekend!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Breast Pump Question

• I am not a second time mom, but I have done a lot of research on this topic.  And Medela while a great brand is not a closed system which means there is a chance of contamintation from milk leaking into the motor.  Therefore it should not be used for multiple children and you should not use this kind used.  Ameda and I believe Lansinoh are the only two closed system pumps that do not have a way for the milk to leak out of the tubing and into the motor. Therefre these two brands are safe for multiple children and to buy used (obviously replace the tubing and suction cups, etc)
  • LJR 84LJR 84 member

imageBabyQuizzle:
    I am not a second time mom, but I have done a lot of research on this topic.  And Medela while a great brand is not a closed system which means there is a chance of contamintation from milk leaking into the motor.  Therefore it should not be used for multiple children and you should not use this kind used.  Ameda and I believe Lansinoh are the only two closed system pumps that do not have a way for the milk to leak out of the tubing and into the motor. Therefre these two brands are safe for multiple children and to buy used (obviously replace the tubing and suction cups, etc)

I'm not a breast pump expert by any means, but I've never heard anyone say that the Medela pumps shouldn't be used by  multiple children. (As in the mother using it for 2nd, 3rd, etc) That just seems ridiculous to me. I can understand not sharing it with other people, but for your own children? Come on...

I used a Medela pisa last time and don't have any complaints!

• Loading the player...
  • Another closed system pump is the Avent. 

It's really about what you feel comfortable with. Medela is a HUGE name and TONS of people buy it.  Does that mean it'll work for you? Maybe, maybe not. YOu'll never know unless you try. 

I was going to buy the Avent, but my mom showed up at my door the other day with a Medela PISA. =o) 

• imageBabyQuizzle:
    I am not a second time mom, but I have done a lot of research on this topic.  And Medela while a great brand is not a closed system which means there is a chance of contamintation from milk leaking into the motor.  Therefore it should not be used for multiple children and you should not use this kind used.  Ameda and I believe Lansinoh are the only two closed system pumps that do not have a way for the milk to leak out of the tubing and into the motor. Therefre these two brands are safe for multiple children and to buy used (obviously replace the tubing and suction cups, etc)

I have also found the same thing researching online (this only applies to their home models, obviously the Medela pumps you rent from hospitals are closed-system).

Since I know I want to have more children, I went with a closed-system pump: the Avent Twin Electric.

On a side note, I do know people who have used Medela with multiple children and never heard about this or had any problems, as well as those who have shared the pump. I just didn't feel comfortable with it after reading about it upfront.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • well im a second time mom here and will be using medula pump again...its the best pump I feel out there. I used it for a year and 3 months with my daughter till she weened herself. I did have to buy a new pump for this pregnancy as its been 8 years now and my old pump is MIA. I purchased my medula pump this weekend from BRU due to the sales and the 20 percent off coupon.

If you have any questions about breast pumps call the hospital you will be delivering at and speak to the lactation consult...they are a wealth of knowledge when it comes to breastfeeding and equipment

• imageBabyQuizzle:

Hygeia is a also a brand that sells closed-system pumps. That being said, I don't intend to try to sell my pump later or give it away, so I went with the Medela Pump in Style Advanced.

• This was some of the info I have found. I guess as long as you replace tubing, etc. they are fairly safe for a single mother to use from child to child. I was more concerned with the issue of the milk getting into the motor which cannot just simply be replaced. It just made me a little leery personally, not judging anyone who doesn't think it's a big deal (my friend has a Medela PISA and said she read about it too but wasn't concerned - to each her own).

Also, I did research the Avent prior to buying an the current one on the market and confirmed with the company that it is closed-system. For me it was between the Avent and the Ameda Purely Yours. I found the Avent on sale so that is why I went with that one.

https://www.breast-pumps.org/v/vspfiles/asp/compare-ameda-medela.html

https://www.breastpumps.com/open_vs_closed_systems

https://www.breastpumpsdirect.com/open_system_breastpumps_vs_closed_system_breastpumps_a/147.htm

https://www.breastpumpcomparisons.com/breast-pump-specs.html

OP - There is also a good bit of discussion about this on the Bump, just search "Medela" or "open system."

https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/50479763.aspx

https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/49025697.aspx

https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/51114494.aspx
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageLJR 84:

imageBabyQuizzle:

I'm not a breast pump expert by any means, but I've never heard anyone say that the Medela pumps shouldn't be used by  multiple children. (As in the mother using it for 2nd, 3rd, etc) That just seems ridiculous to me. I can understand not sharing it with other people, but for your own children? Come on...

I used a Medela pisa last time and don't have any complaints!

I just want to say that the only way the milk will get into the motor is if you're not paying attention and you overfill the bottle...that's the only way it can happen...I aboslutely love my Medela PISA, you have to apy attention when it fills or else it will back up.  It happened to a friend of mine and I advised her to call Medela and see if there is anything they can do for her.  Has she called them, no she hasn't, but it happened to her becaise she had the swing and wasn't paying attention as it got close to the top.  I don't have any complaints and I recommend it to all my friends over the other systems out there. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker I'm a Mom Maven. Learn More...
  • gbtc01gbtc01 member
    I loved my Lansinoh because it was small and mighty. I EP'ed for 10 months and it worked fine. I liked that it fit into just about any bag I had and how well it broke doen to clean. I plan to buy a few replacement parts but otherwise it is good to go.
  • Obviously you can use your personal pump with as many children as you would like.  But if you happen to get milk into the motor, whether it be by accident or however, it isn't safe to do so.  That was all I was saying.  A closed system pump just seems more logical for someone who plans on having mulitple children as it would be safer.  An open system doesn't even really seem all that safe to me with just one child because of the bacteria that can grown in there is a leak were to occur.  I understand that a leak happening is nearly always an operator error, but let's face it we are gonna be new moms and are going to be exhausted and distracted so I think the odds of that happening could be pretty high.

I see a pump as a pretty serious investment that should last through multiple children and be safe for all of them without doubts. So IMO a closed pump system just makes more sense. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"