3rd Trimester

Not sending LO to nursery after birth?

I want to keep my LO with me in the room, and not be sent to the nursery. I haven't talked to my MW or checked the hospital policies. Does anyone else want to do this? 2nd timers who did this - did you have any issues with them not letting you? I don't know why anyone would have a problem with it, but like a lot of other rules they don't always make sense.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Not sending LO to nursery after birth?

• It's called "rooming in", and it's fine. My hospital has a standard practice where 30-90 minutes after birth, they take the baby to the nursery to be bathed and such. Usually the husband accompanies them. This is the time the mother uses to clean up and get herself together. After that, unless the parents otherwise specify, the baby is brought back to the room and stays there. They can't "not let you".
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Find out your hospital's view/policy on "rooming in."  I have delivered at two different hospitals and they both had a rooming in practice meaning they encouraged the mother to keep the baby in the room.  DD only went to the nursery for her bath, morning rounds with the pedis, and her hearing test.  DH or myself could have gone with her if we wanted to.  DS never went to the nursery, as the hospital didn't really have one.  His bath was done in the room, the pedis came to our room, hearing test was done in the room, etc.  
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • We did this mostly last time.  It's pretty normal and some hospitals don't even have well-baby nurseries anymore. 

However, as I had a horrendous time with bfing with DS, he ended up being pretty dehydrated and the nurse gently persuaded me to let her take him to the nursery, feed him and give me a break and a chance to rest. I'm forever grateful to her because it made a huge difference and it was OK to let someone else take over for a while.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • My hospital assumes you want to room in. If you want the baby in the nursery, you have to ask them to take him/her. I would just call your hospital. I called mine yesterday to find out what was included in their postpartum baggie. :)
  • We were told our LO could room in and that there was no need for her to go to the nursery other than for a bath. My husband can go with her for the bath.
    Pregnancy Ticker BabyName Ticker
  • You just have to be clear with the staff that you want the baby with you.  They did take my DS to the nursery to do the regular tests with the doctor, but DH watched through the window.  The nurse bathed DS in my room.

The nurses did often suggest that I send DS to the nursery so I could get some rest, especially throughout the night.  I took them up on it the first night b/c I was so tired but they brought him back to me every 1.5-2 hours to nurse. 

• You just have to tell your nurse that is what you want.

Mine INSISTED the 2nd night she take DD for a few hours so I could get some sleep! I wasn't happy about it but in the end she was right.

I called them as soon as I woke up and asked them to bring her back. I wanted to exclusively BF and made sure they knew that and to bring her back if she cried before I woke!

Just be clear with them! I totally understand!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My experience was similar to pp's with the exception of the day he was born...

we had a psycho recovery nurse on her first day at the hospital. She took the baby to the nursery for his bath and never brought him back. DH went to get him and had to insist he come back to the room with us. (She said he needed to stay there to be observed. Her previous job had been in a NICU.) I loved my husband a notch more that day.

• I didn't have any issues keeping my daughter in the room with me.  They asked me at one point if I'd like them to take her to the nursery so I could sleep - but I didn't want to part with her for even a second!  Her first bath and all the tests were done in our room.  It probably does depend on hospital policy, but I can't image they can force you to part with your baby (unless there is an urgent reason to do so).
  • Wow this is interesting to me because unless there's a medical need for the baby NOT to room with the mom (ie needs to be in the NICU) they only allow the baby to stay in the room with the mom here (Ontario). The baby NEVER leaves the room with anybody but the mom or dad and they check bracelets if you're in the hallway. DH was stopped and checked when he took our son out for a walk down the halls once. All the blood work and baths are done in the room with the mom present.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My hospital only does rooming in. There is no regular nursery, only a small one used exclusively for babies who need extra care. I thought it was standard practice now that the baby spends the whole time in your room. Must be different at different hospitals!
    Be the change you wish to see in the world. ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My hospital gives you the option. It doesn't matter to them one way or the other.
    You want your baby in the nursery just say so, you want to keep him in your room, that's fine too.
  • I want to keep the baby with me at all times.  At my hospital tour, the tour guide said they usually take the baby to the nursery 90 min after delivery for the first bath, tests, etc.  I asked her if they could do this in my room instead of the nursery, and she said it would depend on how many nurses they had on staff that day and if they could pull one nurse from the nursery to do it in my room. 
  • Don't worry.  Times have changed and your fear is one that is historical, not present.  There are very few hospitals today that will insist or heavily urge you to put your child in the nursery.  If you're really worried, a five minute phone call to the L&D department and they will give you their rooming in policy.
  • If your hospital "won't let you" have baby room in, choose a different hospital, 'cause that'd be some crap.  Just saying.

The hospital where I'll be delivering even asks if we want the baby to be taken to the nursery for a bath.  If we opt out of that, they'll show us how to give her a bath ourselves in the sink in the room.  When DD was born they pretty much assumed I wanted her with me the whole time and were very good about asking what my preferences were.  Have you taken a tour of the maternity ward where you're thinking of delivering?  If not, I recommend doing so - they'll be able to answer all of your questions there.

// I love you too. //

• my hospital wouldnt let us send LO to the nursery. I had to keep him with me at all times unless he was needing any testing that had to be done out of the room.

• There is no way I wouldn't have my baby with me or DH every minute in the hospital. After my c-sections, DH goes with the baby while they get cleaned up, vitamin K shot, eye goop, etc. After that, baby is in our room - hospital we go to actually prefers it this way :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageislandgirl79:

The nurses did often suggest that I send DS to the nursery so I could get some rest, especially throughout the night.  I took them up on it the first night b/c I was so tired but they brought him back to me every 1.5-2 hours to nurse. 

Most hospitals here, if not all of them, don't have nurseries and I think that sucks!  At least for the first night I would have loved to just get a bit of sleep.  Then again, I didn't have a private room and was stuck with like 8 other ladies and dh's weren't allowed to stay the night.  
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageExpatFamily06:
    imageislandgirl79:

Most hospitals here, if not all of them, don't have nurseries and I think that sucks!  At least for the first night I would have loved to just get a bit of sleep.  Then again, I didn't have a private room and was stuck with like 8 other ladies and dh's weren't allowed to stay the night.  

I would be really mad if my DH weren't allowed to stay. He's the father for goodness sake, not some third cousin you can kick out after visiting hours. I'm definitely going to have to check on that.

Thanks for all the info! I didn't realize they take the baby to give a bath and do tests, so I'm definitely going to request that all of that can be done in the room. I just don't want him to be taken away!

Also, i know this is a crazy woman paranoid question, but do they put an ID bracelet on immediately after birth? I have this fear that they're going to play baby roulette and I'm going to get the wrong baby back. I know, flame away at my insanity.  

• imagekle+spd:

Mine INSISTED the 2nd night she take DD for a few hours so I could get some sleep! I wasn't happy about it but in the end she was right.

This is very true.  While I think rooming-in is great, I think it's also important for the new mom to get some sleep and recover. Don't be afraid or feel like a bad Mom if you let your babe stay in the nursery.  One piece of advice I always give to my friends is to let the baby go to the nursery at night, so you can sleep. You will have several nights to tend to your baby and will be able to do it better if you've have some time to rest after labor.

Go Phils!!
  • I thought I REALLY wanted that with DD, and they would have totally let me, but I was so tired, and shockingly it was really nice for them to take her for a couple hours so I could get quality sleep not wondering if I would hear her when she needed me etc.  I was really suprised how nice it was to not worry about her for a little bit, when she was in the room with just DH and I, it worried me that I wouldnt notice that something was wrong or something like that.  This time I am totally planning on letting them take LO to the nursery if they are willing.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageExpatFamily06:
    imageislandgirl79:

This makes me so thankful for my hospital, I am delivering in my small town that has suprizingly state of the art facilities and no matter what I will have a private room. I dont know how you did it with 8 other ladies there!

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagezhirsch:
    imageExpatFamily06:
    imageislandgirl79:

I would be really mad if my DH weren't allowed to stay. He's the father for goodness sake, not some third cousin you can kick out after visiting hours. I'm definitely going to have to check on that.

Thanks for all the info! I didn't realize they take the baby to give a bath and do tests, so I'm definitely going to request that all of that can be done in the room. I just don't want him to be taken away!

Also, i know this is a crazy woman paranoid question, but do they put an ID bracelet on immediately after birth? I have this fear that they're going to play baby roulette and I'm going to get the wrong baby back. I know, flame away at my insanity.  

I think you are worrying too much about this.  Yes, it is good to be cautious and never let your guard down and, yes, there have been incidents with babies being switched, but that all is so very, very rare.  Security is one of their top concerns.  ID bracelets are issued immed after birth and only given to Mom, Dad and Baby.  You will be told how to ID the nurses.  Babies must always be in their little beds unless in the room with their Mom. They will give you a whole lecture on it.

Also, when it comes to your H being in the room after you have your LO, you may change your mind when you get there.  My H had slept in a very uncomfy bed for a few nights before DS was born. It was best for him to go home, get a good night sleep, hang with the dogs and pick up some things I wanted from home.  It really wasn't necessary for him to spend the night with me.  He def. won't be able to this time since we already have a little guy.

Go Phils!!
  • There was a post about this not too long ago. As a second time mom who went to a pretty traumatic birth don't shut out the idea of sending your LO away for a few hours to get some sleep. They will bring them back to eat. Of course you don't want to spend a minute away but for those who didn't sleep because of long labors or who have older siblings at home I think it's okay to get some sleep in order to speed up recovery. Some hospitals actually don't have the funds or staff to take the babies out of the room, you just have to check with your own hospital.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • It's totally up to you.  They won't take the baby without your permission. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • At my hospital you are pretty much never separated from your baby.  Even if you have a c/s dad and baby go with you to recovery, then to your post partum room with you when you leave recovery.  They did put in a small well baby nursery, but the L&D nurses said it's empty most of the time because no one uses it as they encourage rooming in.  They said it's used more for storage than babies these days.

TTC since 8/2004
    Me - DX Hashimoto's Disease, Hypothyroid, Rheumatoid Arthritis
    DH - DX Azoospermia - Sertoli Cell Syndrome
    DS-IUI #1-4 BFN IVF #1 - BFP! It's a boy!!!
  • Assuming their are no complications, the LO will be staying with us the entire time.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Me (33) DH (32) WFHM * Coffee & Beach Addict *Running is my Paxil*
  • DD was with us pretty much the whole time.  Since I gave birth at around midnight when they took her to the nursery for bathing/etc they kept her (I had fed her in recovery and had bonding time with her prior) until I woke up.  After that she was with us the whole time.  We did ask that she be sent to the nursery the last night hoping we'd get a bit of sleep, but they brought her back to the room about 5 minutes later.  She was "inconsolable" and wouldn't stop crying. 
  • Where I'm delivering also encourages rooming in and didn't have any babies in the nursery when we went on the tour.  They will keep the baby at times if you request.  They also always take the baby out for a 2 hr. period each afternoon so that mothers can nap.  Visitors are also not allowed during this time.  The last evening in the hospital, they will do a candlelight dinner, minus your LO so you get alone time with DH before the fun really begins.
  • imagedairygirl19:
    My hospital gives you the option. It doesn't matter to them one way or the other.
    You want your baby in the nursery just say so, you want to keep him in your room, that's fine too.

This.  

• The first time around, my son was with us in the room the whole time, except for when he got circumcised. This time, I will request the nurses take my daughter to the nursery so I can get some sleep. Do what you feel is right, but don't be afraid to take the help while it is there. Sleep is a precious thing when having a newborn.
  • I don't know my hospital's policy, but I'll find out when I take the Labor & Delivery tour. And this is my first born, so I don't know how I'm going to feel after delivery. Some women like to get their rest after labor while the nurses take care of the baby, while others prefer the baby to room in. IDK, I guess I'll see when I get there.
    pregnancy calendar BabyName Ticker
  • My hospital told me during my visit to take a tour of the facility that you can have your child "room in" with you if there is no problems with your child.  If you are concerned with what the hopstial might say bring it up to your MW and see what she says.  Good Luck
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Although our hospital encourages "rooming in", the nursery is open and last time, we sent DS one night for a couple of hours so we could get some rest and it was a very good decision.  We will definitely be doing the same thing again.  I hadn't slept in over 32 hours before DS was born and I was so exhausted I was delirious...getting a little rest was crucial.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"