3rd Trimester

Bassinet or not??

I'll be a first-time momma, so I'm not sure what to do. I had originally intended on having baby sleep in her crib (with me possibly camped out in her room for the first few weeks) from the beginning, so we won't have a difficult transition later; however, I've read a lot of positive things about the ease of having a bassinet in your bedroom for breast feeding. Wouldn't I inevitably have to get out of bed anyways for after feeding diaper changes? Any advice??
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Bassinet or not??

• we had one, but didn't use it.  DD didn't seem to like it or sleep well in it.  we either had her sleep in our bed or she slept in the Pack 'n Play.  we'll use the pack 'n play this time...
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My suggestion would be a Pack and Play.  A bassinet will be a short term solutiion and the transition from small and cozy (bassinet) to crib will be difficult.  But since a PNP is larger - you will be okay.

• Loading the player...
  • MaraVBMaraVB member
    Pack and plays for the most part are not up to safety standards for sleeping, therefore raising risks of SIDS.  Most of our friends highly recommended having the bassinet in the room with you for the first few months, really helped with breast feeding, and then the transition at 4-6 months is still early enough that baby does'nt put up a fuss.
  • I loved having the bassinet right next to my bed for both my sons and will do the same thing with DS #3. It is not just the waking up to feed or change baby, but for me I like the fact that when I wake up and want to see/feel the baby breathing I just lean over a little and all my anxiety goes away. I can then go back to sleep for the 20 minutes before the baby wakes up to eat :) Another thing I like about our bassinet is that it is on wheels. I can move that thing to the living room while baby is still sleeping or just hanging out in it.

Yes, you will have to get out of bed to change the baby's diaper. After a couple of weeks, sometimes when you are so exhausted, you will just want to lift the baby out of the bassinet and BF in bed and change the diaper the next feeding - unless of course its a poopy diaper :)

I disagree with the some of the above posters:

Pack n plays don't last longer: We hardly ever used our pack n plays - only when we traveled and the hotel or wherever we were going didn't have one. We used the bassinet for 5-6 months straight with each baby. We never had the pack n plays set up for playing either - they were on the play activity mat or we were just on the floor with them.

Transitioning to crib: neither of our babies had problems transitioning from the bassinet to the crib.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Have a look at the Arms reach co-sleepers - they have little pockets to hold knick knacks...and honestly we only changed DD at night if she had a poop...

Forsake the bassinet as it doesn't do much for convenience - we used our 3 times...and went with a Co-Sleeper this go around...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Im a FTM also, and have been struggling with wether to put LO in crib or in our room.  LO's room is literally right accross the hall, so the plan is to put him/her there...of course because I am such a planner, I have an extra PNP from my SIL that if we need to use in our room we will have it.  I don't think you can go wrong either way, I just think you have to do whats right for you and your baby.  Everyones situation and baby are different, so see what happens, I'm sure you will figure out whats best Big Smile

• Im a FTM also, and have been struggling with wether to put LO in crib or in our room.  LO's room is literally right accross the hall, so the plan is to put him/her there...of course because I am such a planner, I have an extra PNP from my SIL that if we need to use in our room we will have it.  I don't think you can go wrong either way, I just think you have to do whats right for you and your baby.  Everyones situation and baby are different, so see what happens, I'm sure you will figure out whats best Big Smile

• sassy1sassy1 member

We were just going to try using the pack & play, but decided we wanted something that takes up less space.  I found a bassinet at BRU, that has see-through sides & is at bed height.  I do think it's overpriced, but I have a feeling the ability to check on LO without having to get up & peer down into the bassinet is going to be worth every penny.

https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2958431&fromRegistryNumber=46980330&product_skn=868571

• Our baby's room is right across the hall.  We plan on having her sleep in her crib in her room from the first night she's home.  This is something my husband and I talked a lot about and its the decision we felt was best and right for us.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm going to use a bassinet in my bedroom for the first couple of months. It's convenient for breastfeeding, and because mine is on wheels, I can easily move it to any room in the house. I'm seriously considering putting a changing pad on my  dresser in my bedroom for nightly diaper changes.
    pregnancy calendar BabyName Ticker
  • imagetwohniyt:

Our baby's room is right across the hall.  We plan on having her sleep in her crib in her room from the first night she's home.  This is something my husband and I talked a lot about and its the decision we felt was best and right for us.

This exactly. 

Our friends worked it out that dad went to get the baby when he cried, changed him, brought him in to bed with mom so she could BF. Then when baby was done eating, mom brought him back to the crib. They said it worked out great, and that way neither one of them was really up for too long while the other slept. DH and I think this might work really well for us. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We sleep with LO in our bed and love it. I barely wake up to nurse and I don't feel sleep deprived like so many moms describe. I know that's not for everyone, but that's what works for us.  

On PNPs, I picked one up for cheap and now have it set up in our back yard under a tree with wind chimes. I can put him there when I do yardwork. Not exactly how I expected to use it, but that's how it's gone so far. It seems awfully big to set up in a bedroom to me.

On diaper changes, we have a changing table in our room; but you don't need to change the baby every time he feeds. At 2 months, we are down to one diaper change at night.

No wrong answers, just get on the same page with your DH and you'll be fine.

• I've read on Consumer Reports that it's not just play yards that aren't regulated like cribs - bassinets and co-sleepers also only have voluntary standards.  You can search for play yards, bassinets, and co-sleepers that meet (voluntary) standards, but none of them are regulated like cribs.  That's my understanding.  If there are regulations for bassinets and co-sleepers that don't exist for play yards I'd be interested in knowing about them, because we're not likely to use a crib for the first couple of months.    
  • As others have said, bassinets are just easier so that you can be in your own bed and not have to walk around as much.  You could change baby right next to your bed too ... or on your bed with a changing pad.  I feel like if it would save me even a few minutes to spend sleeping instead, it is worth it!  And I've read that if you are worried about transition, it is a good idea to let baby sleep in his/her crib for at least one nap a day to get them used to their room.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"