Trying to Get Pregnant

I cut a chunk of my finger off yesterday...

Like the subject line reads... I cut a chunk off the top of my right middle finger. I was at work by myself, I was sharpening the knife since I was going to prep the veggie's for the day. I went to wash the knife, I got a scrub brush and soap and started cleaning it... then my hand slipped and the knive sliced a chunk off the top of the finger. I knew right away that it was bad, so I rushed to get a clean cloth and applied pressure and frantically called my boss's wife to let her know that I had to leave to see a doctor right away, then called my hubby and mom... my friend who was scheduled to work showed up and ended up driving my car and took me to urgent care. When I got there they didn't want to accept me because I didn't have an injury form since the injury happened at work. My friend dealt with them cause I started to cry when they said they couldn't help me. My mom showed up and they wouldn't let me in until I paid... so my mom let them hold on to her credit card until my boss showed up to pay for me. Then they let me in, they had me finally take the cloth off which really hurt and put iodine in the wound, then a saline hydrogen peroxide mix was poured on and then neosporin and a pressure patch, then wrapped up in tons of gauze. I have to go in on Saturday to get it looked at and cleaned... so no stiches, there wasn't enough skin and flesh to do it, and they couldn't attach the chunck back on. I feel pretty luck though that I didn't cut off the tip of my finger. My boss showed up and he took care of everything and had info on the worker's comp. I feel so bad about the whole thing since it's costing my boss and I'm unable to work for a little while. There's no way I'm going to be able to make pizzas and prep veggie's and salad or wash dishes for quite a while. It sucks, and it hurts worse today than yesterday, thank goodness for pain medication! 

Married my best friend October 28th, 2005
Found out we're expecting August 7th, 2013  
Anniversary
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>

Re: I cut a chunk of my finger off yesterday...

• my index finger hurts just reading your story. Ouch! Get well soon!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • So sorry to hear this. Hope it heals up soon!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I am so sorry!  That royally sucks! 

My mom did something similar just a few weeks before my wedding.  She was using the mandoline (it is a food slicer for those who may not know,) and she wasn't using the guard.  She sliced off a chunk of her first finger... right down to the nerves.  The doctor could see the nerve endings.  She didn't get stitches either... the chunk went down the drain, and I am not sure if they could have anyway. 

I hope you get to feeling better!!

Began TTC #1 in January 2011
    Confirmation and Removal of Endo - March 2012
    +#1 on 4/1/12 - m/c @ ~8w 5d
    +#2 Tx cycle 4 - 5 mg Letrozole + 75iu Follsitim & Ovidrel w/ IUI on 11/13/12 - EDD 7/23/13 
    7 week u/s revealed THREE babies, all with heartbeats.  153bpm, 148bpm, and 136bpm
    9 week u/s revealed loss of Baby B.  A and C are growing on track.  A measuring 9w1d with 172bpm and C measuring 9w0d with 179 bpm.  
    Elective sex determination u/s on 2/8 revealed... boy AND girl!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • ouch! Hope you feel better.

p.s. Been there done that with a knife. didn't cut the top of my finger off but cut it pretty deep. 

• Oh man! I did something very similar to this about 5 years ago when I was managing a cafe. I was cutting tomatoes and I sliced my middle finger, it hurt like hell! So sorry you had that happen to you, hope you feel better soon!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ouch!  That sounds very painful!  And very frustrating with Urgent care not seeing you until you had a injury form.  Thank goodness it wasn't something life threatening!
  • lycihlycih member
    Eeee, that give me shivers just reading it. 
    I did something similar in undergrad working on an architectural model.  Except it was with a belt sander and I got my finger tips too close to the belt.  So, I can completely commiserate.  Yeeeouch!!  I hope it heals up quickly!

::The sudden disappointment of a hope leaves a scar that even the ultimate fullfillment of that hope cannot fully erase:: Thomas Hardy

BFP #1: 07/08/11  EDD: 03/22/12  Missed miscarriage @ 8w: 08/11/11, stopped growing @ 6w6d
    BFP #2: 03/26/12  EDD: 12/07/12  We have a HB at 7w!! (04/20/12)  CSD born 12/12/12 
    BFP #3: 08/05/14  Chemical Pregnancy at 4w3d 08/06/14
    BFP #4: 10/02/14  EDD: 06/10/15  Miscarriage at 6w6d 10/22/14

TTCAL Siggy Challenge

• Ugh that sounds so painful! At least you didn't need stiches. Hope you heal soon and the pain goes away.

A few weeks ago my dad was working on their deck and cut the whole top of his thumb off with his circle saw. It was terrifying. He said that taking the pain meds just before the pain came back was the key to keeping the pain to a minimum.

1st BFP- March 2011. Natural MC @ 8 weeks
    2nd BFP- July 2011.  Chemical Pregnancy
    3rd BFP- Sep 2011. My beautiful son was born May 2012.
    4th BFP-August 2014- Due May 12, 2015

• Ouch! I am so sorry! It really sucks that Urgent care was giving you a hard time. Hoping it heals quickly for you!
  • OUCH! I hope those pain meds start kicking in.

Feel better :)

• Oh no! I'm so sorry!
    Siggy Note: Drunk Ron Swanson is on a break while Amy Poehler takes over for a while, summing up my thoughts on all this birth control, prenatal testing, women's issues stuff in the news.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    dx: LPD & low progesterone 11/2011
    BFP #1 August 23
  • yunk11yunk11 member
    Ughh! That is terrible! My SIL did something similar a week before her wedding. Thankfully, it was her right hand (so she could still get pics done of her ring). But, the good news is that it healed up really well and now (a month and a half later) you can barely tell it happened! Keep taking those pain meds! :)
    View Full Size ImageView Full Size Image
  • Oem617Oem617 member

Ouch! Hope you feel better soon!

DS - Born 6/17/12 

DS#2 - Due 2/11/15

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Oh my goodness! That sounds awful! I hope the pain meds do their thing and that your poor finger heals up quickly.
  • imageannerz22:

Ugh that sounds so painful! At least you didn't need stiches. Hope you heal soon and the pain goes away.

A few weeks ago my dad was working on their deck and cut the whole top of his thumb off with his circle saw. It was terrifying. He said that taking the pain meds just before the pain came back was the key to keeping the pain to a minimum.

yes the key is to stay ahead of the pain instead of playing catch up. You will end up taking less meds in the long run. If you play catch up, you have to take more meds to take the pain away.  

• Ouch!  I hope you feel better soon!  I think hand injuries are the worst.

I remember when DH cut his finger and I wasn't home...but instead of going to urgent care, he put flour in it (like we do if we cut the dogs' nails too short).  When I got home, I tried to rinse the flour out, but it didn't work.  All of the people at urgent care had a good laugh that night :)
    Photobucket
    July Siggy Challenge
    Anniversary
    TTC since January 2011
  • imageannerz22:

Ugh that sounds so painful! At least you didn't need stiches. Hope you heal soon and the pain goes away.

Thanks for the tip! When I woke up today the pain was so bad, I took something after I managed to eat a little breakfast. I should have taken something before bed last night, I won't be making that mistake again!

I'm kind of surprised at the amount of stories, but it makes sense since we use our fingers for everything. I'm having now a hard time eatting, typing, and heck I'm having a hard time wiping (I know tmi). One of my friends got a piece of her finger amputated from a shopping cart accident a little while back. A few months after that she got PG, so when I see her I'm just going to say that by cutting my finger maybe I'll be like her and get PG too! Anyways, thanks everyone for the get well wishes. Smile

Married my best friend October 28th, 2005
    Found out we're expecting August 7th, 2013  
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>
  • lin681lin681 member
    OUCH!  Feel better.
    TTC since June 2011
    SA - Normal CD3 Bloodwork - Normal HSG- All clear!
    July 2012 50mg Clomid CD3-7 Trigger+TI = BFN
    August 2012 50mg Clomid CD3-7 Trigger+IUI = BFN
    September 2012 50mg Clomid CD3-7 Trigger+IUI = BFN
    October 4th LAP - Mild Endo - All Removed
    Treatment Break 3 cycles = BFN
    1st Treatment Cycle Post Lap --
    February 2013 50mg Clomid CD3-7 Trigger+IUI = BFN
    March 2013 50mg Clomid CD3-7 Trigger+IUI = BFN
    April 2013 Break Cycle ~~~ May 2013 Meet with RE discuss next steps
    July 2013 IVF ~ Stims start 6/28

ER 7/10 20R/14M/14F
    Day 3 - 10 Embryos
    ET 7/15 Transferred 1 Blast on day 5 - Froze 6
    7/24 Beta 1 150 7/26 Beta 2 313 7/30 Beta 3 1,084 Beta 4 3,000 Beta 5 8,120 1st U/S 8/8 image
  • Yikes! SurpriseFeel better soon.
  • Gosh hun...I'm so sorry! That would hurt terribly! I was cringing as I read this...I hope you start to feel better soon!

08.2008 | Diagnosed with PCOS
    11.2011 | First appointment with RE
    12.2011 | HSG reveals 100% blockages in both tubes
    02.2012 | Laparoscopy & Hysteroscopy to unblock tubes...success!

{ BFP # 1 | April 1, 2012 }
    Jonah Alexander is here! Born 12.07.12 @ 39w3d

{ BFP # 2 | May 22, 2013 }
    Chemical Pregnancy :(

{ BFP # 3 | February 12, 2014 }
    So far, so good! We love you, little peanut!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • That sucks! I hope you feel better soon.
    GlitterPhoto GlitterPhoto
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Together since 5/08 ~ Married 6/19/10 ~ TTC #1 since 8/10
    BFP#1 3/26/11 ~ EDD 12/2/11 ~ Ectopic Twins left tube 7w3d
    BFP#2 11/2/11 ~ EDD 7/14/12 ~ Robert Edgar born 7/18/12
    BFP#3 9/28/13 ~ EDD 5/20/14 ~ Benjamin Clarence born 5/15/14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"