Babies: 0 - 3 Months

How much sleep do you get?

I am already freaking out about going back to work August 2nd.  H goes back to work Tuesday (our baby came home one week ago today).  I usually sleep from about 9pm-2am and that's about it.  I try to catch a nap here and there, but it seems like when I try to sleep he only sleeps 45-60mins.  Then, when I decide to just stay up he sleeps 3hrs. Or, I have to pump and then try to lay down leaving me a short amount of time to sleep.

I know it gets better.  I know I probably get more sleep than a lot of people on here in a row.  But, damn, it is harder than I thought it would be!

Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: How much sleep do you get?

• Not enough :(  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • vanfoxvanfox member
    I sleep pretty consistently from 9-1 and then 5-7. Those 1am-5am hours are a bit of a crapshoot, though, as I'll be up even when LO isn't sometimes. I mostly sleep after his 1am feeding till his 4am feeding, but DS gets gruntier after his first wake-up (he's in a sidecarred co-sleeper) and DH likes to toss and turn a bit, too. DH takes over baby duty from 5am till 7 when he has to get ready for work, so I tend to sleep very well once I know I'm not "on".
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I just started getting 4+ hours (b/c my son is doing a 6 hour stretch).  It will get easier, but it will take a little longer b/c your LO was a preemie. Hang in there and nap when you can :(
  • LO is 7 weeks old and occasionally I get a six hour stretch between feedings, which gets me 5 hours of sleep.  Most nights she only goes three hours between feedings though. 
  • I consider myself lucky if I get 2 hour chunks of sleep at a time.  My LO was a preemie, so I guess that's why she still wakes up every 1.5-2 hours to eat.  And I thought the 3 hour feeding schedule in the NICU was bad!  You're right about it being hard, but we just have to remember this stage won't last forever! 
  • KERJFKERJF member
    for the last week we have been getting a consistent 8 hours. before that it was about 6.

imageimage
  • coachgcoachg member
    I get a solid 5-6 hours (I pump too so really can't go longer). I generally take the "before bed shift" and feed and change at 11:30. Then I pump and hit the sack around 12. DH does the 230/3 shift and I do the 530/6 shift so we both get about 5-6 hours (he does the 830 am change/feed so he can get sleep too!)

Tyler is going to be a big brother!

BabyFruit Ticker
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• About 5-6 hours broken up.  I try to nap during the day, but it seems that DS1 and DS2 decide to never nap at the same time!

Proud mom to Jeremy (10/24/08) and Gabriel (4/25/11)
  • Maybe 5 hours together. I hope it gets better real soon. Right there with y'all.
  • On a good night I sleep from 11:30 until 3, and again from 3:45-5:00, and my toddler has been up consistently at 6:30. If I am really lucky they will nap at the same time for about an hour, but I am rarely that lucky! We still have nights were I am up every hour or so with her until 5, then DH takes over. And we are getting ready to go onto week 7 of this! 
    Diabetic, 2IF, PCOS; blessed beyond words to be called "mommy" to Drew (6/30/09) and Alynn (5/16/11).
    Parenting author for Women of Worth. Mom Blogger and photographer.

Andrew David: mixed receptive/expressive language phonological disorder, sensory processing disorder, Disruptive Behavior disorder-nos and insomnia.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I am getting about 4-5hrs of sleep combined at night. LO eats for about 30 minutes every 2 hrs. I'm lucky if i get a 3hr stretch at night, but my boobs wake me up now every 2 as well.
  • I'm getting around 4-5 hrs of sleep spread out b/w 3 different naps :-(. It's painful and I hope my DS sleeps longer stretches soon. I also need to stop getting up every time he makes a noise.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DH takes LO from 9-12 but I don't sleep the whole time.  Then she's up usually around 12:15 to be settled.  I get to sleep around 1 again and she's usually up at 2 or 2:30 for a feeding, it's 3 by the time I get back to bed and sleep and she usually wakes up at 3:30, then 4:30 to eat, then 5:30 or 6.  Me and her sleep on the couch from 6:30 - 9:30 the last few days.  She I get somewhere between 5 - 7 hours depending on how well she sleeps, but not in a row.  I can't wait to get 4 hours in a row.
  • DS goes 4 hr stretches @ night and 2.5 hrs in the day time. So, I sleep from about 12-4 then i get more sleep from about 430/5-730 then i go back to sleep until DD wakes between 9-10 (DS wakes up soon after DD does most mornings).  So i get plenty of sleep. I think he is doing pretty dang good to only be a week old!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I figure 5-6 hours in a 24 hour period is a win these days.

DH is back at work, and has long hours and a stressful job and I am a SAHM, so I let him get as much sleep as possible, so it can be rough sometimes.

DH is in charge of the baby from when he gets home from work until midnight.  I rarely sleep during this time, and sometimes he doesnt get home from work until 9pm (and never before 7!) so it isn't always a huge break.  He feeds her at 11:30pm, then we both go to bed, and she is usually up again at 3:30.  I feed, change, and then have to pump (I exclusively pump), so I am not asleep again until 4:30.  Then she wakes up around 7:30, and I feed, change and pump, then usually nap with her in our bed from about 8:30 until 9:30am or so. 

On the weekends I allow myself one night to sleep through the 3:30am feeding without pumping.  It might be hurting my supply but it is helping my sanity.  DH is fabulous about doing atleast 50% of the work when he is off :)

• I sleep about 4 hours a night...I'm lucky if I get a 2 hour stretch since DD rarely sleeps more than an hour at a time. I'm really hoping it gets better!  I don't even remember how bad it was with DD#1 so it must not have lasted too long.
  • I love lurking on this board because it makes me realize how foggy those newborn days have become.

All I know is that I slept like crap for the first four months but then it got LOTS better and then when she started STTN (as in, we put her down at 7 and she sleeps 12 hours without waking) it got amazing.

Hang in there!

image Lucy, 12/27/2009
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Way more than I thought I would. . . DD has always slept from about 10 pm until 9:30 am (only waking to eat and then go right back to sleep).  I sleep with her, and I often latch her on and feed her before she even wakes up and I usually drift off again.  I had not planned on sleeping with her, but this is how we both get the most sleep.  Most mornings, I don't even remember how many times she woke up to eat.  I never imagined being a new mom and not being tired.  I know that I am SO lucky! 

• 5 hours at night, 2 hours during the day...
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"