3rd Trimester

Do Hospitals Scare You?

I know that my doctor is well trained...but it also seems like doctors just don't listen.  I was watching a baby story yesterday and the woman was in so much pain.  The doctor told her she was not in labor, gave her a sleeping pill, and was about to send her home.  She was laying in bed after taking the sleeping pill and her WATER BROKE.  The poor girl had to give birth all drowsey... :( This...along with other personal experiences, makes me a little scared about hospitals/doctors.  What about you guys?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker photo15Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Do Hospitals Scare You?

• yes, i feel like doctor's don't listen because it's so routine for them.  I know they know more than I do, but i also know my own body and want to be heard when i have a concern.  I'm not super thrilled with my ob but i've had a pretty easy pregnancy, so i really don't have a reason to leave the practice.  I hope the hospital stay goes smoothly. I heard the nurses at my hospital are wonderful!
  • Well your first mistake is watching A Baby Story. No, hospitals don't scare me at all. But I worked at the hospital I'm delivering at for a long time.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Hospitals don't scare me at all, I work in one and have worked in a few others. I am also giving birth at the hospital that I work at because I know I'll be well taken care of and because it's a familiar place I am hoping that it will make a scary time a little less scary!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • no, hospitals don't scare me. there are good doctors and bad doctors, just like any other profession. you just have to do your best to find one that seems right for you. i also grew up in a family that has many people in the medical profession...docs, nurses, administration execs, etc., so hospitals/doctor's offices have never been an issue for me. and i would take what you see on tv with a grain of salt.
  • imagemananana:

Do you have good communication with your care provider?  It seems to me the issue you're talking about stems from a patient who didn't advocate for herself.  It's your body.  It's okay to ask questions.  She didn't have to take the sleeping pill, she could have continued to question/discuss her options.

Instead of being afraid, be informed.  Don't feel like you're not allowed to ask questions and advocate for yourself.  And as PP said, quit watching Baby Story.

Edit: typos

This. Any time I've had a doctor that I felt didn't listen to me, I didn't go back to that doctor. Make sure you advocate for yourself. I have good communication with my doctor and its made for a very pleasant pregnancy/birth experience for me

Annelise 3.22.2007 Norah 10.24.2009 Amelia 8.7.2011
  • I don't like hospitals or doctor's offices. It makes me feel a LOT better when someone I know, love, & trust is with me. I guess I just don't like the feeling of putting my life in a stranger's hand, no matter how educated they supposedly are.

Because of my insurance, I have to deliver at the hospital. But I want a natural childbirth, as much as safely possible. So, I plan to labor at home as long as possible before delivering at the hospital, which is literally right down the street.

By having a natural labor in my own space at home, I feel the most in control of my birth experience as possible & lowers the anxiety that I would feel in a hospital setting.  

pregnancy calendar BabyName Ticker
  • Yes and no. They scare me in general because the only time I've ever been to a hospital were my ER visits during 1st tri for threatened miscarriage. I've since gone to two hospital tours, a nursing class, and my child birth class so it's less of a scary place now and more of a safe place. Everything I've heard/read/seen also has calmed me because my hospital seems very mother-baby friendly and really enforces the use of drugs as a last minute, high risk situation instead of treating them as the normal thing to do.

• Not at all. I am a huge fan of medical technology and find that everything they can do now to help us heal or cure us is just so amazing!!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Hospitals do not scare me. Like some of the other posters, I work (for free :-/ - med school rotations) at the hospital where I'll be delivering. I know the nurses and residents on L&D, and of course I know my doctor. I think people are often too quick to jump on doctors and blame them for making what seems like a bad decision. The fact is, the lady on that show may NOT have been in labor!! Labor is defined as regular contractions that cause cervical change. Rupture of membranes actually has nothing to do with it. Anyway, just because that doctor did something you didn't like, that doesn't say anything about your doctor, whom you've gotten to know throughout your pregnancy. Relax. :)

Jess & Adam, married 2009, precious Audrey born in 2011. BFP 1/6/13, 6-wk MMC discovered at 9 wks 2/11/13. D&C 2/18/13, second D&C 4/23/13 for retained placenta.
    BFP 8/24/13!! EDD 5/1/14, delivered healthy and sweet Zoey Leanne on 5/5/14 by repeat c-section.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm really worried about doctors not listening. But hospitals in general no longer scare me. They used to, but I've been there so many times the last 7 months that I'm not scared any more.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • megd06megd06 member

I think you are asking more if DOCTORS scare us, not hospitals. No, hospitals don't scare me, and neither do dr's. Like PP have said, they are human, so they're not perfect--but I just have to make sure and voice my own concerns and stand up for yourself--and not be pushed around. Obviously they are trained in what they do, but when you are running on as little sleep as they do--sometimes they just go through the motions, so to speak.

Being your own advocate is the best thing you can do for yourself in any medical situation, but especially in a labor and delivery situation.

• The do not scare me (I actually use to be an EMT and vounteered as a candy striper when I was a teen) but I certainly do not enjoy being at hospitals. Particularly when I will be the patient. Lots of germs, noise and just NMS. I want to deliver the baby and get in and out.

I go to the Dr. once a year for my pap and bloodwork and other that that I never really visit Drs.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Me (33) DH (32) WFHM * Coffee & Beach Addict *Running is my Paxil*
  • Yes.  They scare me, and that's why I'm birthing at a birthing center.  If something goes wrong, we have a hospital next door and I can get transferred there.  But my midwife will go with me and watch my back.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"