3rd Trimester

Grandma Names

What are your moms/mil's going to go by?  I just can't picture my mom has a "grandma" - so just seeing what other options are being used!
Photobucket

Re: Grandma Names

• My parents are Nana and Papa.  They didn't feel old enough to be called Grandma and Grandpa when they were in there late 40's to be called that, so they picked Nana and Papa.
  • My mom always referred to herself as Grammy, but ds can't pronounce that and calls her me-me, so now she calls herself that haha.  My mil is Greek, so she goes by Yia Yia.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imageamy3455:
    My parents are Nana and Papa.  They didn't feel old enough to be called Grandma and Grandpa when they were in there late 40's to be called that, so they picked Nana and Papa.

That's the case with my parents- they are late 40's. My FIL will be "Pops" - but that's what all his boys call him and it really is a term of endearment in their house, so we're just rolling with it!

Photobucket
  • My mom goes by Grammie for the other grandkids.  My MIL wants to be called GiGi.
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My mom and dad go by G'ma and G'pa.....(gee-ma and gee-pa).  The nurse in the delivery room wrote the shorthand and my mom liked it and it stuck.  Although my son calls her by the dogs name "Maggie" :)
  • MereBMereB member

My son named my parents.  They are Lolli and Pop- and yes, he randomly came up with that on his own when he first began talking.  My mom's name is Leslie, so we think he heard someone calling her that and began calling her Lolli.  For my dad, we kept trying Poppy or Pop Pop, and my son would emphatically yell "POP" to correct us.

My niece named the IL's- they are Grandma and Papa (but again my son refuses to say Papa and calls him Bubba).   

Have some ideas, but your mom/mil might be willing to let your baby name them. 

• My parents will be Meemaw and Peepaw and my FIL will be Papa Dew (his name is Dewey) and MIL still doesn't know what she wants to be called, I'm just hoping it's not MawMaw...for some reason I don't like MawMaw lol It just sounds hick and old to me!  Hopefully she'll just go with Grandma! lol
  • imagealicat108:
    My mom and dad go by G'ma and G'pa.....(gee-ma and gee-pa).  The nurse in the delivery room wrote the shorthand and my mom liked it and it stuck.  Although my son calls her by the dogs name "Maggie" :)

Your son calls your mom the dogs name?  That is too funny! :) I have my grandmother who raised me...she is "Granny" to everyone.  Then I have my mom who wants to be called "Muddy" -- yea, don't like it... my MIL is "Grandma" and my step mom is "Nanna"  Not sure about the guys.  FIL will be "Grandpa" but I'm not sure about my step father or my real father.  I say let the kids name them.  I"m going to teach my son to call my mom "Muddy butt" hahahahahahhaaha. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker photo15Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My parents are Grandma & Grandpa. DH's parents are Nana & Papa. But really, DD calls everybody "Bapa" right now lol. My favorite is DH's sister - Auntie Kate turned into KiKi, and it stuck.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker TickerPregnancy Ticker
  • I have such issues with nicknames for Grandparents.  I'm kind of boring, I just like grandma and grandpa!!!  My fil wants to be "grand daddy" which just sounds weird to me, I don't know why! My mil wants to be called "mere" because she's originally from a creole speaking country, and that's what she called her grandma.  That's weird to me b/c Mere means "mother" and I'm thinking "you aren't her mom you can't be called that!!!"  BUT she won't go for "grandmere" bah....oh well!!!!  Good luck!
    PhotobucketPhotobucket Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker
  • DH's parents are "Grandma and Grandpa".  My parents, since they are latin, go by "Abuela y Abuelo".  It means the same thing in english, but helps the kids keep them apart. 
    BabyFruit TickerLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers image image
  • megd06megd06 member

my mom is a "young" (she'll be 47 in November, and looks/dresses about 10 years younger) grandma, so she refused to be called Grandma...she goes by "Gigi". H's mom goes by "Noni" (the spelling bugs me, b/c it's pronounced "Nonnie"). H's dad is just Grandpa and my dad is Papa Jake.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageOneday82:
    I have such issues with nicknames for Grandparents.  I'm kind of boring, I just like grandma and grandpa!!!  My fil wants to be "grand daddy" which just sounds weird to me, I don't know why! My mil wants to be called "mere" because she's originally from a creole speaking country, and that's what she called her grandma.  That's weird to me b/c Mere means "mother" and I'm thinking "you aren't her mom you can't be called that!!!"  BUT she won't go for "grandmere" bah....oh well!!!!  Good luck!

lol that is weird...can't she go by Meme? Pronounced "meh-may". That's what I called my grandmother (French Canadian, though, not Creole).  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker TickerPregnancy Ticker
  • Ours is going to be a pain in the butt. We have too many! Both of our parents divorced and remarried! DH's adoptive dad and stepmom are Paw Paw and Mi Mi. We know that much. I think his adoptive mom is just going to be Grandma (first name). We never see or hear from her. Now we have to figure out my mom and stepdad and my dad and stepmom. Our parents are all pretty young. Late 40's. All looks really young and mom and stepmom dress younger (and they can pull it off). So hmmm... I like Gammy and Poppy for my dad and stepmom. Stuck on mom and stepdad. Mom doesn't want to be grandma or nana or nanny. Ugh. lol.
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My mom is Grammy and my MIL is yia yia since DH is Greek
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My MIL wants to be called "grammommy" which seems like a lot of syllables--apparently that's what her grandmother's name was. I forget what my mom and FIL want to be called.

I'm of the "you'll be called whatever this kid ends up calling you" mentality--as is my dad; he's stated no preference.

• She asked for Grammy.  :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My MIL has other grandchildren (and a great grandchild) already and she goes by Grandma. My mom has decided she wants to go by Grammy (this is her first grandchild). I'm not a fan of Grammy, but it's her name.
    J+C est. 6.22.08
    Adele Lorraine b. 7.13.11

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Kara03Kara03 member
    My parents wanted grandma and grandpa.. My in-laws are mimi and pipi.
  • Seeing as my mother will be LO's only grandparent, we decided to let her choose what she'd be called. She says she wants LO to call her Mum-mum. We've always called MY grandma Nana, so she's already got dibs on that! hahaha
    February 19, 2010- BFP! March 14, 2010- M/C January 17, 2011- BFP! April 26th, 2011- It's a boy! Due September 20, 2011 May 2, 2011- Confirmed Gastroschisis August 7, 2011- Labor begins August 12, 2011- Max is born October 4, 2011- Max comes home!

image image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My nephew named my parents-MiMi and Papa-which they love so that works out well!

My MIL wants to be called "Oma"-we all laugh every time she says it and keep telling her that the baby will name her she can't chose!  Not sure what FIL will be.  We'll have to wait until baby starts talking to see!

• My parents will be called Babcia & Dziadek (my parents are from Poland...translation- Grandma & Grandpa).  The ILs will be called Oma & Opa (they are from Germany).

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • My Italian mother wants a Greek name -Ya Ya

And my German MIL wants the italian name -Nonni

It has been the longest most annoying process for my MIL and FIL to pick names. They would choose a name and say how excited they were with them and then the next week they will say they changed their minds. Praise the lord they finally picked names and we don't have to discuss it anymore!

• My parents wanted to just be Grandma and Grandpa.  DD calls them mama and papa.  Sometimes she is lazy and she just calls my mom "mom."  I think its because she hears me call her mom and thinks thats her name.

MIL wants to be GiGi which is weird because that is what everyone calls her grandma (DD's great-great grandma) who is still alive.  Whenever she calls herself this and someone gives her a weird look, she switches to calling herself Granny.  DD doesn't really call her anything.  She calls FIL Papa also.

I think you can try as hard as you want to make your kids say a certain name, but at the end of the day, it may or may not work.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My mom will be Mama V & MIL will be Oma (german for grandmother)
    pregnancy calendar BabyName Ticker
  • My parents are fine with Grandma & Grandpa. They might seem youngish for it, (49 & 50) but when our son is ten, calling a his 59 and 60 year old grandparents by those names will make sense. I think my FIL is good with "Grandpa," (and I think "Grandpa Ray" is kinda cute Smile) but I bet I've got the only MIL on here in her mid-forties who prefers to be called "Grandmama." I can't help but picture a Victorian matron feeding her grandchildren tea and crumpets, but if she likes it, Grandmama it is!
  • We're the last to have kids, so this conundrum was already long since figured out for us. My Mom and Dad are "Nana" and "Papa", DH's parents are Grammy and Pa. There are also two great-grandmothers: Granny and Grandma; and a great-grandfather: Papa Jack.

BFP #1 05/11/10 Natural m/c 05/17/10 BFP #2 12/07/10 Natural m/c 12/12/10 BFP #3 01/21/11 Taking Prometrium, Baby Aspirin, and two injections of heparin a day Lightning Bug was born a healthy and happy 7lbs 14oz on 9/20/211
  • My MIL is TeeMaw (Cajun for "Little Grandma") and FIL is PawPaw.  Since this will be their 3rd grandchild, those names are established.

On my side, this will be the first.  So far we have Grammie for my mom, and I'm not 100% sure for my dad.  I really like Poppy.  It could all very well change when the baby comes! :)

• My mom and step dad are MawMaw and Poppy, as established by my step neices and nephews. My dad will be Pa, or PawPaw. My ILs will be Bun and Buna (pronounced boon and boonah), because DH is Romanian. Unless they want to be called Titaya and Mimaya, which is ok with me too.

For the Cajun side of the family (mine) all the aunts and uncles are Tauntie and Nonc, except for godparents, who are Nanan and Parain. My godmother, even though she is also my aunt, is LaLa. That's just what we call her.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • atackatack member

My mom will be Mimi, stepdad will be PopPop most likely shortened to Pops.  My MIL & FIL will be Grandma and Grandpa (I think). 

I have two grandmothers still alive that live near us and one will be GiGi for Great Grandma and G-Nan (we call her Nanny) for Great Nanny. We'll see if those stick, but that's the running joke for the great grandmothers!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Pregnancy Ticker
  • My mom is bibi, my father in law will be jidhu, my mil is habib, my dad is pepe and step mom is meme.
    imagePregnancy Ticker
  • All our parents are divorced and remarried, so there are 8 grandparents and they don't get to choose their names.  They'll all be grandma and grandpa unless LO names them something else.  It's normal in our family to be Grandma first name and Grandpa first name and that is already what my sister's kids call them.  On DH's side I really don't care what they all want, they are going to be the same as my family to make it easy on LO until he chooses something or decides to keep Grandma and Grandpa.
    TTC since 8/2004
    Me - DX Hashimoto's Disease, Hypothyroid, Rheumatoid Arthritis
    DH - DX Azoospermia - Sertoli Cell Syndrome
    DS-IUI #1-4 BFN IVF #1 - BFP! It's a boy!!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am a good old fashioned fan of Grandma and Grandpa :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • The inlaws will be Granna and Poppy (already called that by nieces/nephews).

My parents haven't decided.  My husband's aunt's grandkids call her Honey which I really like.  I think my Mom just wants to go with whatever LO comes up with himself, which I'm totally cool with.

Me: 32  H: 34
    DS #1: 8/10/11,  DS #2: 10/13/14
    TTC #3 since October 2017

• My parents will be Grammie and Grampie, and FI's parents will be Grandma and Grandpa. LO will also have 4 sets of great grandparents, and will probably end up calling them the same things we do. Grammie and Grampie Last Name for my side, and Grandma and Grandpa Last Name for his.
  • My nephew calls my MIL Mowmow which I really don't like, but thankfully she's not attached to it since he came up with it on his own. She'll probably be Grandma since my mom already goes by Nana with my nieces, and I prefer more traditional names.

But my dad....he goes by Grandalf - as in Gandalf from Lord of the Rings with an "r" stuck in there.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• My mom goes by Nana and my S-MIL goes by Lola.
    Logan - 11/09, Lander 08/11, Baby #3 ~It's a girl!!~ EDD: 04/10/14

• My DS has 4 due to divorce/remarriage

MomMom

Mimi

Grammy/Mammy

Grandma

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DH's parents are the standard "grandma and grandpa" with their first names as they have older grandkids. My parents started out that way, but as soon as DD could talk, my mom became "gram-maw" and my dad "pap-pap" that she shortened to "pap-pa" and it stuck.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers imageimageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • One set are grandma and grandpa, the other side are memere and pepere (french versions from where I grew up).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"