2nd Trimester

bad NT scan

I know I'm not in second tri yet but I figured more women would have experience on this board vs 1st tri.

Had my NT scan today and the NT measured 6.2mm. I know that that is super super high and, with me being 36, I'm very scared. I am calling my doc to set up an amnio asap. However, I was hoping that some women on here had experiences with bad NT results but good outcomes.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: bad NT scan

• I'm sorry you are going through this - I have heard positive outcomes.  My advice to you would be to check out the baby center boards (babycenter.com) - there is one called "amniocentesis support" and they are a wealth of information about amnios and outcomes.  Good luck to you! 
    BabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm so sorry. I didn't have a bad NT scan but I have seen a few threads on high measurements but get false results on their amino tests. Keep your head up, be strong and try not to worry. Easier said than done, I know. You're in my T&P's.
    December '14 May Siggy Challenge
    Favorite TV/Movie Mom - Tara Knowles from Sons of Anarchy
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • MrzHozMrzHoz member
    I don't have any experience in this, but wanted to say you and your baby are in my T&Ps. Hope everything  turns out ok.

BabyFruit Ticker

• I am so sorry! But keep in mind there are A LOT of false positives!! Also as an FYI you are not far along enough yet to do an amnio, they wait until after 16 weeks. So if you are wanting to have answers sooner I would do CVS.
    imageimage Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yes. I had a bad NT and a normal chromosome result. Had 4.3mm at 12 weeks and went for CVS the next morning. I will have a fetal echo at about 24 weeks to double check heart but so far everything is going normal. I've seen higher than my measurement end up fine as well when I was reading these boards and other things after my bad result. These screens seem to have a high false positive rate. If you are before 13 weeks you can opt to have the CVS and you will know the results much sooner than waiting until 16 weeks. I didn't find the test that uncomfortable.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I was told by the NT ultrasound technician that 90% of your baby's chances for Down's and Trisomy 18 come from the bloodwork and NOT the ultrasound.    Good luck hun. 

Success after IF! BabyName Ticker BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • This same thing happened to me. I opted for the CVS and got the results in 5 days, thankfully everything was normal. I was worried sick for those 5 days. I have heard over and over again women having these false positives at the NT scan. I doubt I'd do it again if we have another baby. Huge hugs and T & P's for you and baby. Chances are good everything is ok.
  • With my first pg, my measurements were higher than yours. I had a CVS and she came back with no genetic abnormalities.

My Chart

My Life

BFP 7.7.09 - CVS 9.10.09 (Girl) - 9.24.09 Severe Fatal Malformation - D&E 10.7.09 @ 17wks
    BFP 6.1.10 - 6.10.10 Ectopic M/C @ 5wks
    BFP 10.26.10 - 10.29.10 CP
    BFP 1.30.11 - CVS 3.28.11 (Girl) - EDD 10.11.11 - Born 10.6.11
    BFP 12.18.12 - 12.20.12 CP
    BFP 3.18.13 - CVS 5.21.13 (Girl) - EDD 12.2.13 - Born 11.24.13
    BFP 6.10.14 - CVS 7.2.14 (Girl) - EDD 1.12.15 - Born sleeping 8.6.14 @ 17w5d
  • I am so sorry that this is going on, just know I am sending you lots of thoughts and prayers! I would also be setting up an amnio to double triple check things. I know some gals are against it, but with the measurements being so high I would to the next step. But wait and see what your doc tells you too....GL!!
    "You and me together can do anything, baby!!" DMB
    Married October 16th, 2010
    TTC #1 since October 2010
    1st BFP 1-12-11
    MC'd 1-22-11
    2nd BFP 2-15-11
    Our Wee One....**KENNEDY JO** born 10/3/11@ 36weeks via Csection
    My BFP Chart
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Labor Buddy to **MRS.ATCH** Welcome Quinn 11-5-11**
  • I'm so sorry about your NT scan results.  I had a normal NT scan but abnormal bloodwork.  It was by far the scariest time of my life.  Based on my test results I had a 1:120 risk of Down Syndrome and a 1:43 chance of Trisomy 18.  I opted to have a CVS  at 13 weeks.  I had the CVS on a Friday morning and got the preliminary results (which screens for the most common chromosomal abnormalities) on Monday and the final results the following Friday.  All was well and we learned that we are having a girl.  I will be thinking about you. 

TTC #1 since 02/09 Dx: Unexplained infertility After a hysteroscopy and D&C in 4/10, 3 rounds of Clomid (and one round of Femara for good measure), and acupuncture for 5 months, I got my first BFP after my first round of IUI with Femara and injectables. I am blessed. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Hi QC! I'm so sorry you are going through this. PP have given you some great advice and I just wanted to say you're in my thoughts, hun!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I'm sorry to hear about your NT results. My NT measurement was in the normal range but my blood tests gave us a screen positive result with a 1:25 chance of Down Syndrome. We had an amniocentesis the next day and in 48 hours we got the good news that our baby is fine! 

I think false positives are extremely common. Hang in there! I know how scary and confusing it can be.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Don't stress! My sister is 40 and just had a LO. She had a bad NT and a bad Amnio along with constant infections in her uterus during her whole pregnancy and her baby came out just fine as can be no problems at all. The results are not a guarantee something is wrong, just a percentage of possibility. Good luck with the Amnio I will keep positive thoughts for you, Im sure it will be ok! :)
    IAmPregnant Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • You'll probably get your quad screen (blood work) at around 15-18wks. That will give the doc clearer results than the u/s. Then, if the chances are still very high, they will schedule an amnio. Good luck!
    Married 5/31/08 * TTC#1 9/09 - 2/11
    after anovulatory diagnosis and TTC for 1 1/2yrs with several medicated cycles and one chemical pregnancy, we have our first bundle of joy!
    IT'S A GIRL!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    #2 EDD 2/5/13 dx with anti-BIG E antibody, seeing a MFM
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    VOTE on my Name List
    I don't take one single minute for granted.
  • thanks for the reassurances everyone.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had a bad NT scan also.  Neck and bloodwork is fine, but an absent or hypoplatsic nasal bone.  We opted out of the amnio and will wait until birth to see.  I have been searching for others with the same results and positive outcome.

• A2009A2009 member
    I had a high NT reading with my first baby.  I don't remember the exact number, but it was over 6mm.  They actually did the CVS at that same appointment.  The results were normal.  I had some further genetic testing (just blood work), and they also did the heart echo of the baby around 20 wks.  Everything was fine.  I'm so sorry that you are having to deal with this.  I know it's stressful. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"