3rd Trimester

High Blood Pressure

My blood pressure has been on the high side every time I go to the doctors.  I went over to be monitored and the Labor/Delivery wing of the hospital and my blood pressure was fine.  When I monitor my BP at home it not high but not very low either.  Dr is now making me go get ultrasounds every week.  She is also recommending that I might have to go on bedrest soon.  I don?t have extra protein in my urine so its not preeclampsia.  I am trying to find ways to reduce my BP.  I?m not stressed at work or at home and I go walking every other night.  Is anyone else having BP problems or know of ways to reduce BP naturally?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: High Blood Pressure

• My BP is high (140/90) every time I go to the doctor. I literally feel myself getting hot and my heart beating fast on the way to the room before I get checked. My BP is always high when I am pregnant. For DS #2 and DS #3, they had me do the 24 hour urine collection and get more blood work done to get a baseline at about 24 weeks. Nothing has come of it for both pregnancies - no protein in my urine for that test or any regular appt. It is just how my body reacts to pregnancy. I am convinced it is "white coat syndrome". At my rhogam shot in the hospital, my BP was only 120/66. This just confirms my theory. Every time I go to the doctor's office, they take my BP, I lay on my left side for 5-10 minutes and then they take it again and it has always been lower except for one time - that one time I literally could not relax and could feel my heart pounding.

How high is your BP? I know being careful is what they have to do, but an ultrasound every week sounds a little excessive. Have they had you do the 24 hour urine collection yet?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • If your BP was fine when monitored in L&D, and it's fine at home, and you otherwise don't have signs of problems, I'm not sure why your doctor is already talking pre-e and bedrest. That's kinda strange to me.
    Wyatt 9/6/2011 
    Tessa 7/5/2013
    Baby #3- ????? (ttc soon)

• Loading the player...
  • When I go to Dr's office I am usually 140/90 - 140/95.  I've done the 24 hour urine twice now.  One around 20 weeks and one around 30 weeks.  Both times they come back good.  They told me the ultrasounds every week is b/c women with high blood pressure can have poorly developing babies.  I also think it may have something to do with the fact that before pregnancy I was overweight.  I try not to think about it to much (to help reduce stress) but its hard not to do research while at work.

• I've been on a modified bed rest for 7 weeks because of high blood pressure. When I'm at home, my blood pressure is almost always good. But they are super cautious. The ultrasounds every week seems really excessive. I've had two since being on bed rest. I would get a second opinion if I were you. I went and saw a perinatologist and he basically took me from strict bedrest and put me on modified. He said that the other doctor smelled smoke and assumed the barn was burning down, when really it was just the grill getting ready for dinner (he was a funny guy :) ). Really though, seek a second opinion, it can't hurt anything.
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I don't know....it seems like we are both in the same situation and I am on my 3rd healthy baby even though my BP was 140/90 the entire time in all pregnancies.  I guess being careful is better than not paying attention to it. The good news is you get to see your little baby every week now :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagemelissa91380:

When I go to Dr's office I am usually 140/90 - 140/95.  I've done the 24 hour urine twice now.  One around 20 weeks and one around 30 weeks.  Both times they come back good.  They told me the ultrasounds every week is b/c women with high blood pressure can have poorly developing babies.  I also think it may have something to do with the fact that before pregnancy I was overweight.  I try not to think about it to much (to help reduce stress) but its hard not to do research while at work.

Yes high blood can restrict blood flow to the baby. So with high blood pressure they like to monitor baby to make sure they are still growing when they stop it's a sign the blood is being restricted and baby is not getting the nutrients they need. 

Good luck hun I hope everything works out and you don't need bedrest.  

• I have been having some issue with my BP for awhile. Last week it was high and they sent me to L and D and have a Non Stress Test done. After monitoring it for a lil it was fine. Yesterday my BP was 138/88 and they sent me back over to L and D for another Non Stress Test and it eventually went back down. My Midwife said I have to work a reduced schedule at work and continue to have weekly Non Stress Tests done, so now I might have to take off work sooner than I thought :(  GL
  • imageJen&Peter:
    I don't know....it seems like we are both in the same situation and I am on my 3rd healthy baby even though my BP was 140/90 the entire time in all pregnancies.  I guess being careful is better than not paying attention to it. The good news is you get to see your little baby every week now :)

Thats the silver lining is seeing the baby every week.

• to reduce blood pressure try: acupuncture, yoga, or meditation. make sure you're getting exercise. don't eat processed foods since sugar can raise it. i've been told celery, cucumber, apple cider vinegar, and pears can all help with BP.
  • I have had issues for the last week. My midwife put me on calcium/magnesium supplements and a 3 times daily dose of liquid chlorophyll and my bp had steadily decreased. It was 150/100 last Thursday and yesterday it was 131/86. I have also upped my water intake by two more bottles, putting my feet up a lot more, eating a high protein/low carb diet and watching my salt intake. Maybe, some of this will help you??
  • This happened with my first.  I had pregnancy-Induced Hypertension and for the last 6 weeks of my pregnancy I was on modified bedrest.  I had weekly ultrasounds and non-stress tests.  It was a bit of a pain, but I trusted my OB and the high risk OB I was refered too.  Towards the end my BPs at home started to elevate too.  I was fine with the extra appointments and luckily had a job I could work remotely, so LOVED being at home.  Good luck.
  • In the beginning, my blood pressure was elevated. I think that part of it was due to the fact that I tend to get nervous at doctors' offices. I hate going to the doctor...but now that I know the people there & know what to expect every time, I'm not so anxious. 
    pregnancy calendar BabyName Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"