3rd Trimester

breast pump to induce labor

Has anyone ever tried this? I've heard that it can make the contractions harder than they usually are but isn't that the same with pitocin? I'm just curious what others experience was with this and how you did it, frequency and duration. Did it work for you?

I'm post due, 41 week based on LMP and 40w 1d basd on my 5week ultrasound.

Re: breast pump to induce labor

• Nipple stimulation and sex will induce labor, so maybe a pump will too. The sex sounds more fun. Its because it triggers oxytocin to be made naturally. That is preferable to pitocin, as pitocin is artificial and can actually shut out your natural oxytocin production. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • megd06megd06 member

imageSarahPLiz:
    Nipple stimulation and sex will induce labor, so maybe a pump will too. The sex sounds more fun. Its because it triggers oxytocin to be made naturally. That is preferable to pitocin, as pitocin is artificial and can actually shut out your natural oxytocin production. 

It's a pump that's usually recommended if you are trying nipple stimulation...manual nipple stimulation to induce labor would take forever, so it's quicker with the pump.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I have heard that it could start labor, but if your body isn't ready labor could slow and stop.  I am getting desperate (though still too early to feel okay doing it,) so I may actually try this method as I get further down the road.  Let us know if you try it!
  • I have heard nipple stimulation can cause long contractions which decrease oxygen to the baby lowering their heart rate. Be careful.
  • I have tried it on a couple occasions. The OB said it was o.k. I went into labor 2x before 34 weeks and had to have it stopped. So now that I'm overdue with no progress she gave me the o.k. So far nothing just some strong BH. I was told 15 mins on and 15 mins off 3x. 
  • It would be better to try the pump first, before they try using drugs to induce you.  Nipple stimulation releases oxytocin which causes the uterus to contract.  If you are already having mild infrequent contractions, it could be what your body needs to get them going regularly.  Having sex is good because semen naturally contains prostaglandins which help to soften and ripen the cervix.  Try both!  I have never heard of nipple stimulation (or sex) causing heart rate drops in the baby.  Only chemicals do that because they create contractions that are beyond what the body would naturally create and can create a stress for the baby.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"