July 2011 Moms

What baby carrier will you be using?

So may choices out there!  Got a Bjorn for DH...got a lime green one on clearance for $20 at Target.  I was thinking about getting a K'tan, but now am thinking possibly a beco.  What are you going with?
Steph - mama to Owen Patrick 2/20/02, Ryder Jacob 11/3/05 and Brody Ryan 7/14/2011
Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: What baby carrier will you be using?

• Honestly, I would wait until your LO is born and then maybe go to the store and see which one they like better. I tried both a double ring sling and another type of wrap, but DD would have nothing to do with any of them. She had to be in a certain position when she was carried, so she could see everywhere, and that wasn't possible in either of those. I ended up using a bjorn once she was around 4 or 5 months. 

• I got a hand-me-down Moby wrap to use while she's an infant, though a few friends have recommended ring slings.  I originally had a bjorn, but read mixed reviews and that they really weren't very good for baby's hips. I splurged on a Becco and think we'll be really happy with it. I got a khaki one with a neutral print so DH will wear it and if we have a boy we can reuse it.

The selling points for me were that it comes with the infant insert (unlike the Ergo) and you can hand off baby to someone else or spin her from front to back without taking her out of the carrier (also unlike the Ergo). The only thing is, I don't think it has a front-facing front carry option, but I figure by the time the baby wants to face front, she'll be on my back (facing forward) anyway.

• Loading the player...
  • I have an ergo.

DD born 07/2011 DD due 11/18/2013
  • MCH77MCH77 member
    A friend gave me her Moby and I got an Ergo (no infant piece, I don't know if I want/need it). 

BFP #1 March 24, 2010; missed m/c May 26, 2010 @ 12w 4d; D&E May 28, 2010

BFP #2 Oct 20, 2010; My little boy was born on July 5, 2011

BFP #3 April 30, 2013; Chemical Pg May 5, 2013

BFP #4 Aug 22, 2013; It's a boy.  Loss discovered at 24 weeks on Jan 15, 2014 (cause CMV virus)    

<3 We love and miss you Timothy <3

BFP #5 April 6, 2014; missed m/c May 15, 2014 @ 9 weeks; Misoprostol May 15, 2014; D&C May June 3, 2014

• I tried several brands and ended up with a Pikkolo.  Hated the Ergo (very short in the body for DD) and didn't like the Beco Butterfly (too hot, less flexible).  There is a great website that compares them:

https://www.theportablebaby.com/carrierfeatures.html

• I got a Bjorn. I thought about splurging and getting an Ergo, but I could use a 20 percent coupon on Bjorn at Babies R Us. Since I don't know if my baby will take to a carrier, I didn't want to spend the extra for Ergo, so Bjorn it is!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I've got the Moby wrap, a Jeep carrier that I got from a friend, and an Infantino front/back carrier. I didn't want to invest the money with a more expensive carrier before trying some of the less expensive ones and making sure LO liked babywearing.
  • we got an ergo, because I heard it was better for little one's pelvis and better for mommy's shoulder and back.  I have not taken it out for a spin yet but will at some point this week.  I will report back on my likes/dislikes.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerImage and video hosting by TinyPic

image image
  • imageKateB1984:
    imagesaccidananda108:

The selling points for me were that it comes with the infant insert (unlike the Ergo) and you can hand off baby to someone else or spin her from front to back without taking her out of the carrier (also unlike the Ergo). The only thing is, I don't think it has a front-facing front carry option, but I figure by the time the baby wants to face front, she'll be on my back (facing forward) anyway.

In case anyone else is comparing the two, this isn't true. DS2 liked to sleep in a front carry but be awake in the back carry, and I never took him out to switch him. You just only remove one arm at a time and shift to your hip in between. I looked it up on youtube to learn how and never found it difficult after trying once or twice with DH spotting me.

No, neither have a facing out position. In order to face out you need a carrier that sort-of dangles the baby by the crotch (like what you read about the bjorn hip thing) rather than a sitting position like the Beco and Ergo use (knees at same level as hips).

Sorry, I wasn't trying to give false information. I have the Beco Butterfly 2, I'm not sure which Ergo carrier I saw (I know there are several of them) but the one at the boutique I went to I was told would not spin. I guess there are different versions that will! 

• I had a bjorn with DD and I did not like it but MH did. I bought an Infantino Ecosash on sale at BRU to try. I knew someone IRL who liked it. I have a friend with twins with a lot of different carriers, so if it doesn't work I will try one of her other ones. I watched the movies of the moby and it scared me off. ;) At least for now (thats one of the ones my friend has, but disliked).

DD1, Kathleen 9/15/2007

imageimage

• i've got a moby wrap to start with. and DH didn't like the "earth mother look" of the moby wrap (i slapped him dont worry) so he got the infantino front and back carrier. it was only $30 and we dont live in a big city anymore. we wont be doing too much walking with a carrier anyway.
  • I have a Moby wrap and a Bjorn left from DS # 1, I was supposed to get a Ergo from a friend for free, but she has not sent it to me and I already reminded her once about not shipping it.

I like the Moby for the infant stage and Bjorn is good for a bit older.  My DS was a big boy so I could not carry him as long as I wanted to. 

• imageOwen&RydersMom:
    So may choices out there!  Got a Bjorn for DH...got a lime green one on clearance for $20 at Target.  I was thinking about getting a K'tan, but now am thinking possibly a beco.  What are you going with?
    I'm lusting after the Beco Gemini right now but I think I'm going to save my money and maybe get one in a few months if I find I'll really use it.

I already have a Mei Tai and I want to get a peanut/jelly bean style sling as well. 

• I will be rocking a Moby in Natural.
    image eva magnolia 07/22/11
  • I bought a K'tan from Spot's Corner for $9! I love how versatile it is (Dh will never wear it becasue it is pink though). I am trying to find an ergo on ebay if not I am just going to suck it up and pay the $115 for it becasue it is my favorite and seems the most comfy.
  • imagerxy5309:
    I bought a K'tan from Spot's Corner for $9! I love how versatile it is (Dh will never wear it becasue it is pink though). I am trying to find an ergo on ebay if not I am just going to suck it up and pay the $115 for it becasue it is my favorite and seems the most comfy.

Ummm...$9!  Amazing!  What/Where is Spot's Corner?!?

Steph - mama to Owen Patrick 2/20/02, Ryder Jacob 11/3/05 and Brody Ryan 7/14/2011
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • So far, just the Moby wrap.  We will test drive the other carriers when LO is older. 
  • I have the Ergo Performance, but would have totally gone for the Bjorn if I had been able to catch it on sale (especially that much of a sale). A friend of mine has that Bjorn and absolutely loves it.
  • We've got a bjorn, moby, and some friends gave us and swear by the Kangaroo. I stopped a mom in the grocery store once that was carrying her babe with a moby, and she loves the moby, but prefers the bjorn when she's out and about b/c it's easier to baby wear. (she had left her bjorn in their other car that day she said)

my friends that swear by the kangaroo love it. and it does look a lot easier to use than the moby. We'll see which one babe prefers of the three.

• I have a hand-me-down Moby from a friend and plan on getting an Ergo- my pediatrician isn't a fan of the Bjorn because of hip/leg development issues.
  • We have an Ergo and I'm trying to get my hands on a used Moby.
  • We just bought a K'tan for DH this weeked. I plan on getting one for myself but want to wait until this belly is no longer in the way to make sure I have the right size.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"