1st Trimester
Options

Need Advice! RE: Telling Employer

Hi all, I need some advice if you have a moment. I am a nanny, and when my nanny family leaves for a long vacation, sometimes they ask me to do household chores while they are gone (because they still pay me for the week). While they were gone to Disney this spring I washed baseboards, cleaned blinds, ect. Well they are leaving for a week-long vacation the first week of July, and this past Friday the dad made a comment about me staining the large playset he just built in the backyard. I didn't really know what to say because I wasn't sure if he was serious, but I said that I had never stained anything before so I didn't know how good it would look.

Ok, so now the advice part comes in. I want to be prepared for what to say if he was serious and he asks me again this week to stain the playset the following week while they are gone. I really wanted to have the first ultrasound before I told them I was pregnant, which I was planning to have while they are gone on vacation. So the question is - do I just take the opportunity to tell them when he asks me to stain again or should I kind of pretend like I'm going to stain and then just wait and tell them when they get back (if all goes well with the ultrasound)?

I'm really nervous about telling them because when they hired me in January, we weren't planning on trying so soon, nor did we think we would get pregnant so soon after trying, so they are under the impression babies aren't even on the brain for us. I really appreciate any comments you could provide! Thanks :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Need Advice! RE: Telling Employer

• Options
    Well congrats on your BFP! Is it possible to get your DH to stain the set for you, if its brought up again?I don't know that I would commit to doing it while having no intention, I think it would bother me more if someone did that to me...I would feel lied to. Things happen though, and unless they are really horrible people I can't imagine that they wouldn't be happy for you, or wouldn't understand. Do you plan on continuing to work for them, and if not how soon do you think you would quit?

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    BFP#1-02/21/11 Missed M/C Twins-03/25/11 EDD-11/04/11
    BFP#2-10dpo- 05/27/11 EDD 02/03/12
    Our miracle Aidan James born 01/25/12!!
  • Options

I know that I am concerned about telling my employer as well. I work in a school setting, with autistic children and my job can be very demanding physically and mentally. It is definately a challenge.

But I think that you should just be honest with them. I know that dishonesty is just going to cause issues if you plan on staying with them.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree with PPs, I wouldn't commit to doing it if you think you might not. If you're not ready to tell them yet, I'd also suggest asking your DH to do it for you.
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • Options
    I would not say that you are going to do it if you are not planning on doing it.  You could call you dr and see what they say.  I would imagine if you used gloves and it being outside (good ventilation) that could be fine. However, your dr would know best. If your dr says not to do it, then you could ask your DH to do it for you.  Or you could just be honest and tell them the truth.  I think that sometimes you have to tell early, if it means avoiding a potentially harmful situation for the baby.  
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

If I were you, I'd tell the family.  I understand keeping the pregnancy a secret for the first tri to many people, but I think telling your employer may be an exception.  It's nice for you to tell them so that they know/understand if you have m/s, extra OB appts, & other things. 

My best friend kept her pregnancy a secret & was stressed about them finding out.  W/ DD, I was open & honest.  If I had a bad headache, they were more than willing to help me out in my classroom.  When I had a scare at 9 weeks, they told me to leave school & go to the ER.  I never felt like I had to make excuses, & I always felt like they supported me 100%.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
  • Options
    Thanks, everyone. I think I will just grow a pair and tell them this week if it comes up. You're all right - I wouldn't feel right about lying to them anyway, and there's no way I would make my husband do it, it's a pretty big playset lol. I do plan on working as far into the pregnancy as I can, so hopefully that will ease any frustration they might have. Thanks again :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"