2nd Trimester

constipation!

Has anyone found any good remedies for constipation? I have been having an issue with this for almost 3 months now! Uuggh! 

Re: constipation!

• First, try eliminating constipating foods from your diet (bananas, rice, apples) and second increase your water intake and perhaps try some pear or prune juice.  Next line of defense can be a fiber supplement, I like Metamucil best, 1 tablespoon in 8 oz of water at bedtime.  If these things are not enough try Colace (stool softener) up to 200 mg a day, 100 mg in the morning and 100 mg in the evening.  Next you can try a laxative... Milk of Magnesia is safe in pregnancy, 2 tablespoons every 6 hours until you have a bowel movement.  If these measures don't work give your OB a call, there are other meds you can try but you should get the OK from your doctor first. 

Good luck, I have dealt with constipation in both pregnancies.  So much fun... not!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I agree with the previous poster. My OB recommended Colace and extra water throughout the day, or even trying prunes/prune juice. Honestly though, when it gets really bad I can always rely on eating a big bowl of my homemade chili, or just go to Taco bell, as funny as that sounds.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • The only thing that has worked well for me has been Fiber One bars. I get the chocolate chip ones and eat one daily, and it's been amazing! Not to mention, they taste really yummy!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie - (uREA)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Fiber One brownies and/or coffee do it for me every time.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageMissBHaven1024:
    The only thing that has worked well for me has been Fiber One bars. I get the chocolate chip ones and eat one daily, and it's been amazing! Not to mention, they taste really yummy!

I recommend this exactly.  They are wonderful :)

• FIBER!  I just got a 40% DVA of fiber cereal and it's working!  Also, fruits, veggies and lots of water!  Feel better :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I agree with all of the other people. My Dr. recommended also to eat 35 to 40 grams of fiber a day an to stay away from any white rice, noodles, and to eat whole wheat ones instead.Eat a high fiber cereal too. Fiber One makes some good ones. Drink lots of water!

I have been having this problem as well. If I stay on track what the Dr. recommended I feel better but when I eat something that I shouldn't have I can totally tell. An ugh is right!

• My ob/gyn gave me prenatals called CitraNatal Harmony.  They are samples so I've yet to try them.  But I'm looking forward to it since it's vanilla scented and contains a stool softner...two things I need right now...lol!
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I hadn't gone in 3 weeks, what finally worked for me was a colace and activia before bed and  a raisin bran muffin and a Fruit 2day in the morning.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• There are a few things that help me:

Probiotics: I have been taking one regularly for over a year now and not only does it keep me regular, I haven't been sick since I started.

Working out: exercise helps get "things moving". You should be working out, especially while pregnant and hopefully this will help with the constipation.

Water!! You MUST have plenty of h20 daily in order to flush out your colon!

High fiber foods- I add an organic fiber into my smoothies every day, which definitely helps and it's a ton better than those nasty Fiber One bars which are loaded with 5 different types of sugar. I also eat tons of beans and whole grains, fresh fruits and veggies.

Try apples, prunes, figs, whole grains, beans,  blueberries...Here's a list for you:

https://commonsensehealth.com/Diet-and-Nutrition/List_of_High_Fiber_Foods.shtml

Good luck! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm totally devoted to my Colace, I take it religiously.  Add fiber and drink lots of water!
  • imagemarisol&alan:
    My ob/gyn gave me prenatals called CitraNatal Harmony.  They are samples so I've yet to try them.  But I'm looking forward to it since it's vanilla scented and contains a stool softner...two things I need right now...lol!

These are the best vitamins anywhere!  The included stool softener plus a few prunes here and there make for easy work!  Highly recommended...

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • What has worked for me is exercise, lots of water, increasing my fruit intake, and eating a fiber-filled english muffin for breakfast.
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"