Babies: 3 - 6 Months

I told my doc to shove his BMI calculator up us a$$.

Okay, well not in those words, but almost. I was so mad I was shaking.  Without even looking at how my body looks he pulls it out and tells me I'm border line obese (get your laughs haters).  I know I have about 20-25 lbs of baby weight left to lose.  He tells me I need to lose 50 according to my BMI. So I lost my ***...politely of course.  I told him that when I was a world class athlete with a body fat % of 17% I was considered overweight by his BMI chart so I wasn't inclined to think it was accurate.  If he wanted to measure my body fat % then fine but I was not going to follow some outdated system.  He looked like I smacked him and his nurse was laughing behind him.

He asked me what my weight was before I got pregnant and what my body fat was I told him and we came to an agreement about my weight. I feel like I won today.

edit for typo

Also. I told him he should know that the BMI is not for everybody's body,  I think he respects me more, I respect me more.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: I told my doc to shove his BMI calculator up us a$$.

• Good for you! The high end of the BMI is a reasonable low goal weight for me... but on the low end I would be starving to death. And I wouldn't likely be on the high end if I actually had muscle once I reached that point.

Is it just me or do doctors just dial in certain aspects of patient care? 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Photobucket Photobucket
  • Um, I saw the pictures and you are by no way obese. We all have pregnancy weight to lose (except those rare few who are back to pp weight already, betches) and it's a slow and steady process. 

I'm glad you had the balls to say that.  

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Good for you!! I've had the same issues of being "overweight" by that effing chart.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • according to my height, my BMI says I should weigh 99 lbs on the low end.

...I havent been that weight since probably 4th grade. Those BMI's are ridic and do not do anyone justice.

Yes, you definitely won today. x 1,000!!!

1ht

Photobucket Photobucket Lilypie First Birthday tickers Beautiful pictures taken by the very talented Kaper
  • My short, overweight doctor told me I was overweight. Hello pot, my name is kettle!
  • I hate the BMI chart too. It lies.

& good for you

• Good for you. I feel sorry for his patients who aren't as self assured as you. 
  • imagekdodge423:

I freaking love you.

My old OB used to ride my ass about not being within the proper BMI and blah blah blah. And she didn't stop when I told her I am a competitive weight lifter and BMI is kind of a stupid measurement to use on me. When I met DH I was eating 1200 calories a day, lifting, and running 3 miles and barely maintaining 10 lbs over the top of my acceptable BMI range.

It's one of those things that really irks me to no end. I don't like to talk bout the numbers because it's pointless but before I got pregnant my parents were telling me I looked too thin and my husband was complaining that my butt bones dug into his lap.  I was pretty muscular but not ripped like a body builder ya know?  I was STILL on the high end of what would be medically ideal.

• This is just another reason why I <3 you. 
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PhotobucketPhotobucket Photobucket
  • I completely agree that the BMI calculator is flawed.  I'm not sure whose body it's made for but it isn't made for mine.  I work out regularly so my muscle adds extra weight.  That being said there isn't much out there as far as efficient screening tools for obesity.  I do believe that body composition & lifestyle habits should be taken into consideration when having the "BMI discussion"
  • How did he measure your BMI? Please tell me he didn't just do the  weight+height+sex+age=BMI stupidness and actually at least used a caliper on you.
    252855_10150214241312114_262494087113_7012916_3895481_n-2Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker Siggy check.
  • imageAshfieldMay:
    How did he measure your BMI? Please tell me he didn't just do the  weight+height+sex+age=BMI stupidness and actually at least used a caliper on you.

Nope, he simply looked at my chart and plugged all my info to some handy dandy tool he had in his pocket. 

Normally I really like the guy.  He is older and since I live where I live he has mostly older clients so maybe he's just old school.

I've had the calipers done in that past and that's how they've determined my body fat percentage and that while  yes I was "heavier" than the BMI chart recommended was in no way overweight.

• imageracheldaigle46:

according to my height, my BMI says I should weigh 99 lbs on the low end.

...I havent been that weight since probably 4th grade. Those BMI's are ridic and do not do anyone justice.

Yes, you definitely won today. x 1,000!!!

1ht

I am the same way. I'm only 5' tall so my 'healthy' weight is 101. The only time I weighed that little as an adult was when I got mono in college and couldn't eat for 3 weeks. I looked like an after-school special about anorexia. That is NOT healthy.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers PitaPata Dog tickers PitaPata Dog tickers

Check out my blog: http://cwupcake.wordpress.com

"The only difference between tattooed people and not tattooed people is tattooed people don't care if you're not tattooed."

• Good for you!

I'm glad my doctor has never said anything about my weight. Even the OB didn't when I was pregnant. And I'm almost considered obese by BMI standards.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Ugh.

Those stupid charts don't account for curvy short women, so they always say I'm obese. I do need to drop a few lbs, but if I seriously weighed what they say I "should" (somewhere around 100 lbs), I'd be a skeleton!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"