Pregnant after IF

PCOS- Metformin- pregnancy

Hey guys,

I have PCOS and just found out that I am pregnant.  I originally got a BFP in Oct 2010 and had a miscarriage.   That time around, my doc took me off of Metformin because he said that I didn't need it. This time around, I want to stay on it through the first tri.  I have heard that it helps to reduce the chance of miscarriage in women with PCOS.

Anyone elses doc try to take you off of Met?  Did you ask to stay on?  Do you have any insight on if it really does help in the first tri?

TIA!

Re: PCOS- Metformin- pregnancy

• I was told that there was no significant research as to if it helps or not but I did stay on it until 12 weeks. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • First of all- CONGRATS! yay for BFPs!

My Dr. didn't take me off my Met (2000 daily) until we heard the heartbeat at 7 weeks. Then I went off and have had no problems.

Good Luck and a H&H 9 months :)

• Loading the player...
  • imagemsjcordova:
    I was told that there was no significant research as to if it helps or not but I did stay on it until 12 weeks. 

This except my OB/RE took me off at 9 weeks.  They said there was no strong proof it helps, but it wouldn't hurt either that early and if it gave me "peace of mind" they were all for it!

My sister was on Met her entire pregnancy and the baby is a happy, healthy energetic 4 year old!

Congrats on your PG!

TTC since April 2009 dx = PCOS; TTC History for DS - A FET miracle after 7 IUIs; 2 fresh transfers, and 1 other FET resulted in BFNs. Hoping and Praying for baby #2: Cycle 1 - FET; November 2012 BFN Next Steps - who knows? Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • My RE took me off at 8 weeks. I asked about staying on and he said the only time he really keeps someone on is when the met helped them lose significant weight. He doesn't want to take a girl off in first tri and have her gain lots of weight from it. Since I didn't have a weight change with met he said there was no benefit.
    6/28/10: Lost our sweet baby Addyston at 18wk 1day to pPROM 7/24/11: Michael William born at 24wk 2d due to IC after an emergent cerclage at 18wks, 4wk home BR and 2 weeks hospital BR. Grow strong our little Miracle! 9/17/11: Michael joined his sister in heaven after 8 amazing weeks with us on earth. He fought a very hard fight but NEC was too much for him in the end. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Congrats on your BFP!!

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • Congrats on your BFP!!

My RE told me to continue taking my met (1000mg/day) for now. I'm not sure if/when I'll be taken off of it.

A+S | Met 8/24/06 | Married 9/27/08
    Started TTC 12/2008 | dx PCOS 5/2009
    6 failed clomid/femara/TI cycles, 1 failed clomid/ovidrel/IUI cycle
    Successful Cycle: 5/12/11 - 1000mg Metformin + 100mg Clomid(late response) + TI = BFP

2/13/12 - We proudly welcomed our daughter, Hadley Teresa!
    Lots of Luck to all of 3T/IF

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

www.MyVacationCountdown.com Ticker

• RE said through first trimester and my GYN said that I should just stay on it because it could help me decrease my risk of gestational diabetes.  
  • I tried to stay on it, but my body would not digest it during pregnancy. My doctors were split (RE said to stay on until 12 weeks, but OB said there was no research to support it).
    TTC since 8/09
    DX: PCO, ENDO, High NK, MTHFR
    8/10 = Lap to remove Endo

2 Femara TI, 3 Follistim IUI = BFN & 1 c/p
    IVF #1 - BFP - boy/girl Twins!

Ben and Reese born at 34w2d!
  • My doctor kept me on the Metformin until between 8-10 weeks. I also had low progestrone and was given prometrium for the first 12 weeks.  If you are concerned I would talk to your doctor more about it.
  • My Dr. kept me on my (1000 mg/day). But when I went in for my first u/s yesterday I didn't get to see her, but the other Dr. in the office. He wanted me to stop taking it since he didn't see the use of it anymore.

For me I am a little leary of stopping it and I will not do anything until I speak to my Dr. since yesterday was the first and only time I have met him.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"