Babies: 3 - 6 Months

going from bf to ff, how did you do it?

So we need to transition from bf to ff because of a new med I am going to start soon and Emma won't take a bottle. We already tried mixing bm with the formula so it wouldn't be too much of a change, but she won't take a bottle at all even if it's just breast milk.

Any suggestions?

Eta: we've already tried multiple bottles as well

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: going from bf to ff, how did you do it?

• Did you wait until she was hungry?  Did you have H or someone else give the bottle to her?  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Instead of sticking your boob in her mouth use a bottle. Walla! Now give me a hard one.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imagealopdx:
    Have you tried a variety of bottles, nipples, and flow speeds?

Yeah, we have. It's been a little stressful but she seems to like Tommee Tippee the best but it almost seems like she knows what is happening and she is rebelling Stick out tongue

• imageHeifergal:

Instead of sticking your boob in her mouth use a bottle. Walla! Now give me a hard one.

LOL

• imagemeaganjoelle1:

imagealopdx:

Yeah, we have. It's been a little stressful but she seems to like Tommee Tippee the best but it almost seems like she knows what is happening and she is rebelling Stick out tongue

I know they make a variable flow nipple for their bottles. You might try that. I'm sure going from a boob to set flow might be confusing and irritating.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Did you try to have someone else feed her for a while? I had her daddy bottle feed her during the transition. Plus she can probably smell the bm when you hold her... After a few days on a bottle, mine refused the boob completely...
  • imagebecky2v:
    Did you wait until she was hungry?  Did you have H or someone else give the bottle to her?  

Yeah we went five hours before I gave in and gave boob because she was getting so pissed. GMIL said that if they're hungry enough they'll take it but not always the case. H tried once on Saturday, but I've been trying since then.

• rimjobrimjob member
    I'm not sure about this one, but I was thinking what if you tried to bf her a few days with a nipple shield.  I don't know if that would help.  Just a thought

photo 8171fa67-0749-444f-93ec-78250e104e5f_zps37aefc95.jpg

• imageHeifergal:
    imagemeaganjoelle1:

imagealopdx:

I know they make a variable flow nipple for their bottles. You might try that. I'm sure going from a boob to set flow might be confusing and irritating.

I've tried one and two size, maybe I'll try to go for three after she wakes up from her nap.

• imageRIMROCK:
    I'm not sure about this one, but I was thinking what if you tried to bf her a few days with a nipple shield.  I don't know if that would help.  Just a thought

That would be interesting to try. What about giving her a bottle after she's nursed too--just to let her play with it a bit without the pressure of being hungry. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Sounds like you have tried most of my suggestions.  Maybe try a sippy cup?  Some baby's just never like the bottle.  Also DD refuses to take a bottle from me, she only wants to nurse, so my DH or mom have to give her her bottles during the off times she gets them.  Good luck.
  • Thanks everyone for your suggestions, I appreciate it. I really hope something works soon 
  • imageNominomi:
    Sounds like you have tried most of my suggestions.  Maybe try a sippy cup?  Some baby's just never like the bottle.  Also DD refuses to take a bottle from me, she only wants to nurse, so my DH or mom have to give her her bottles during the off times she gets them.  Good luck.
      This is what we're trying.  DS won't take the bottle unless I'm not around at all.  Even then he fusses the whole time.  When I talked to my pedi about it she said that some BF babies never take a bottle and to start teaching him to use the sippy cup.  It's only been a couple of days for us and he only wants to play with the cup.  I hope it gets easier for both of us soon!
    PhotobucketLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • We haven't switched, but J does take a bottle... he has since the beginning (so this may be of little use)...

We do use the Tommee Tippee... he seems less frustrated with L2 than with variable flow.

He has started not to want to take the bottle from me... we were at DH's grad the other day, and it wasn't an option. What I found helped was feeding him in a non-nursing position... so sat up a lot more, and facing away from me some.

You can also try cup feeding and syringe feeding... or you could look into giving formula in a supplemental nursing system? Not sure how that would work if you have a supply...

And maybe post about the meds on the BFing board... I know there are often posts where replies suggest more info/ alternatives so that you don't have to stop at all (apologies if you have already done all this!)...  

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Photobucket Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"