July 2011 Moms

Can you avoid this during delivery...

Not to be gross, but I'm sure most of us would prefer not to have the #2 thing happen as part of L&D.

I'm sure in the moment you don't care, but I'm hoping there is some kind of way or tactic to avoid it. But not sure there's anything to control whether this happens or not.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Can you avoid this during delivery...

• Our hospital gives you an enema when you arrive to give birth, that way everything is out before you get to that position.

You can refuse it if you want but we've been told that it's easier for you to give birth if it's empty back there. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Screen Shot 2012-11-15 at 8.25.16 AM
  • MCH77MCH77 member

I wasn't nervous about this until after our childbirth class when DH learned it could happen.  Now he keeps joking about it (just to me).  If it happens (fine) and he tells ANYONE... I will hurt him. 

BFP #1 March 24, 2010; missed m/c May 26, 2010 @ 12w 4d; D&E May 28, 2010

BFP #2 Oct 20, 2010; My little boy was born on July 5, 2011

BFP #3 April 30, 2013; Chemical Pg May 5, 2013

BFP #4 Aug 22, 2013; It's a boy.  Loss discovered at 24 weeks on Jan 15, 2014 (cause CMV virus)    

<3 We love and miss you Timothy <3

BFP #5 April 6, 2014; missed m/c May 15, 2014 @ 9 weeks; Misoprostol May 15, 2014; D&C May June 3, 2014

• Loading the player...
  • I didn't have it with my first and hope to not with my second, so gross!  Haha!
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't think there's any way to avoid it, and honestly if you have an epi you might not even know it happens until afterward! When you're pushing, they tell you to bear down like you're taking a poop, so if there's something in there it's understandable why it might come out. :) 

I wouldn't worry about it. I'm sure the doctors and nurses have seen it all, and your DH/SO might be more grossed out by the other aspects of delivery than that anyway.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• In our child birth class last weekend we had a couple of nurses taking the class as well---they were expecting moms too. When this topic came up they said that if you don't go on the table they actually think you are pushing wrong and have reason to worry. They said it happens to 99% of women--and made it seem like not a big deal at all. You aren't going to be the talk of the hospital. :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker
  • It's not the #2 I'd be worried about, it's the passing gas! That is way more embarassing, IMO- and way more awkward! I didn't do it during delivery but I did it when the doctor was re-positioning my legs. (I had an epi and had no control of my legs.) I was sooooo embarassed, everyone pretended they didn't hear anything...LOL. FWIW- I didn't go #2 during delivery!

• Honestly, I know it's gross and embarrassing but just remember you wouldn't be the 1st person to poop on the table. And apparently they scoop it up so quick that you wouldn't even know you did it. 

For me, I poop when I'm in a lot of pain, so I must have went #2 at least 3 times before getting my epi. I cleaned myself out pretty good before pushing.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • This came up in our birthing class too and the nurse/teacher just said, "Almost everyone does it, expect it to happen, it's no big deal." I'm glad she presented it that way rather than, "It *might* happen," because now DH just expects it and thinks it's part of the normal birthing process, which it totally is.
  • asheriasheri member

I'm not sure if it'll prevent anything or if I'm just increasing the risk, but I've been trying to eat more fiber this past week so I can maybe "clear out" my system a bit before the big day. 

It'll probably happen anyway, but at least I won't have to be embarrassed by a bunch of backed up rabbit poops.... I guess. D:

• imagefogleer:
    Honestly, if there is one in there to be pushed out, you'd much rather it come out on the table than have it still in there and have to take your first #2 after delivery on the first day following birth.  Give the stool softeners a day or two to help you out!

THIS!!  You do NOT want to be pushing out a poop right after having a baby.  It is freaking awful.  Don't worry about pooping on the table.  It's really a non-issue.  I pooped, and knew I was pooping b/c I didn't have an epi, and did. not. care.   

• My body cleaned out on it's own in early labor. I didn't go #2.

DD1, Kathleen 9/15/2007

imageimage

• Lol - thanks girls for the reassurance and the suggestions. I'll be keeping DH by my head anyway. I will too try to keep things "running smoothly" so even if it does happens, there's not going to be alot to it. we'll see!
  • imageAuburnt:

When I went to a birthing class, one of the L&D nurses taught it and she said she's been with the hospital for 4 years and has rarely seen any women actually poop during delivery. And one of my friend's moms works there too as a L&D nurse and said the same. I really think it's not as common as we all hear it is, especially since most women's bodies will clean most everything out during earlier labor!

ETA...after reading some of the responses, I hope these two nurses I referred to weren't just trying to make us all feel better! lol But either way, if it happens, it happens. What can ya do? And it's likely nothing will happen that they haven't seen already!

We went to a childbirth class yesterday and the L&D nurse teaching the class has been a L&D nurse for over 25 years and she said that she would estimate that maybe 1 in 20 women actually poop on the table. 

• I'm pretty sure I pooped during delivery.  I asked and no one would tell me whether or not I did.  It's not big deal and if it's gonna come out, it's gonna come out. Nothing to be worried about.

girls photo zvczv.jpg

• I have to go whenever I am even slightly nervous, but honestly, this is the last thing I'd worry about when it comes to delivery.  This is normal and compared to what can actually go wrong, who cares?  Everybody poops.  Now, farting on my doctor during a cervix check actually worries me, but I think I'd probably laugh.  I mean, farts are hilarious.
  • imagemeg1974:

I don't think there's any way to avoid it, and honestly if you have an epi you might not even know it happens until afterward! When you're pushing, they tell you to bear down like you're taking a poop, so if there's something in there it's understandable why it might come out. :) 

I wouldn't worry about it. I'm sure the doctors and nurses have seen it all, and your DH/SO might be more grossed out by the other aspects of delivery than that anyway.  

THIS. Who cares? There is way more gross stuff going on that a small piece of poop.   I mean, it's def. not the time to be modest.  Enema's scare me.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I didn't when I had DS, but I am not sure if you can avoid it.  As far as I've heard around California, an enema is not offered.
  • imageasheri:

I'm not sure if it'll prevent anything or if I'm just increasing the risk, but I've been trying to eat more fiber this past week so I can maybe "clear out" my system a bit before the big day. 

It'll probably happen anyway, but at least I won't have to be embarrassed by a bunch of backed up rabbit poops.... I guess. D:

This literally made me LOL.  

I was worried about this a little earlier on during the pregnancy but now I'm kinda like "if it happens, it happens".  I'm just so anxious about the laboring/birthing experience overall I can't focus on one overwhelming aspect at a time. lol.  I have a very "nervous" stomach so I'm hoping that I clean out my system during the early stages of labor so I'll be on empty when it's time to push.  Embarrassed

• imagechelle_ann:
    In our child birth class last weekend we had a couple of nurses taking the class as well---they were expecting moms too. When this topic came up they said that if you don't go on the table they actually think you are pushing wrong and have reason to worry. They said it happens to 99% of women--and made it seem like not a big deal at all. You aren't going to be the talk of the hospital. :)

This. I've seen about 10 vaginal deliveries, and I think it happened in almost all of them. It was always just a small amount of stool, and a nurse would wipe it off and change the pad under the laboring mom really quick. 

Jess & Adam, married 2009, precious Audrey born in 2011. BFP 1/6/13, 6-wk MMC discovered at 9 wks 2/11/13. D&C 2/18/13, second D&C 4/23/13 for retained placenta.
    BFP 8/24/13!! EDD 5/1/14, delivered healthy and sweet Zoey Leanne on 5/5/14 by repeat c-section.
  • I thought about this as I first started pushing, but then you just want the baby out and you don't care what comes with it!! (I asked DH if I did BTW and he said no. I should hope not with all the pooping I did prior to coming in lol!)
  • imagemeg1974:

I don't think there's any way to avoid it, and honestly if you have an epi you might not even know it happens until afterward! When you're pushing, they tell you to bear down like you're taking a poop, so if there's something in there it's understandable why it might come out. :) 

this.  I was certain I pooped on the table, I didn't but to be quite honest, at that point I couldn't have cared less.  

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerImage and video hosting by TinyPic

image image
  • I've pretty much just told myself that it's going to happen- that way, if it doesn't, I'll be proud of myself :P

DH is staying away from the lower half of me during labor, anyway.  And doctors and nurses have seen EVERYTHING, so who cares? That's my take on the situation. 

image eva magnolia 07/22/11
  • imagesharonstevens85:

Honestly, I know it's gross and embarrassing but just remember you wouldn't be the 1st person to poop on the table. And apparently they scoop it up so quick that you wouldn't even know you did it. 

For me, I poop when I'm in a lot of pain, so I must have went #2 at least 3 times before getting my epi. I cleaned myself out pretty good before pushing.  

Ditto this. I would say make sure you take a good poop before getting that epidural. I never pushed out a full term baby, but I know my mom said that pooping during the earlier parts of labor cleaned her out and she didn't poop on the table. I also poo'd in early labor with my first, and I have to say it made life a lot more comfortable for the unique delivery.

• I guess I don't get what the big deal is.  It most likely WILL happen so why worry about it.  First off, you legs are going to be in the air with like 5 people staring at your lady bits and watermelon shooting out....followed by all the nastiness after baby is out...the truly gross part.  So how is poop a big deal?  Not to mention you aren't the first or the last to do it.  The L&D nurses and doctor's don't care, they see it several times a day.  Seems like there are more important things to worry about. 
  • The nurse teaching our birthing class said that sometimes there is some pooh in the canal, the baby pushes it out when they move or are coming out.  If it is there, it will come out-whatever happens, happens.  The drs and nurses are not going to freak out and make a big scene out of it so DH will never know unless he is down there when it happens.
  • No, there's nothing you can do to avoid this.  Just know that it's totally normal and the nurse will clean it up before anyone even notices.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"