Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Taking a baby to a wake (CP)

I know this has been asked before, but what was the consensus? A not-super-close friend's mother died suddenly and the wake is today. I like this person a lot, but she's more of a friend of a friend, YKWIM? I know she would love to meet DD, but I don't know if this is an appropriate forum. So, what say you?

ETA: I can't leave DD with anyone since it is during the day and everyone is working.

[Poll]
I guess technically now I should be SecondBabyMomma Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Taking a baby to a wake (CP)

• IMO, unless the deceased is a close family member or very close friend, then a baby is not appropriate for a wake. I'm sorry to hear about your loss.
    DSC_0330editedimage
    The two men in my life. Oh, and I have a husband too...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageSimoneSays22:
    IMO, unless the deceased is a close family member or very close friend, then a baby is not appropriate for a wake. I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

Agreed.

Perhaps send a card or flowers to acknowledge your sympathy. I don't think I would bring LO though. 

• Loading the player...
  • imageSimoneSays22:
    IMO, unless the deceased is a close family member or very close friend, then a baby is not appropriate for a wake. I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

Agreed. It depends on the situation. Given what OP explained, it is not appropriate. You can express your sympathies in other ways (card, flowers, donation) - and once the hubbub has died down, contact her to have lunch or a walk. She'll likely appreciate the distraction as everyone has moved on in their own lives leaving her to grieve.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • imagesylwill:
    I picked SS because it's inappropriate in this situation, but I would take my baby to a family member's wake.

Agreed.

• I said inappropriate. I think unless the deceased is a close family member, it would be wrong to take the baby. See if you can meet up with her for lunch sometime or mail her a sympathy/thinking of you card with a short note that you weren't able to attend the wake but wanted to let her know you're thinking of her and her family during this time.
  • JDOJDO member
    Unless the person was a close relative or friend, it would be more appropriate to find childcare. If none is available, I think it would be appropriate to bring your LO with as you make a very brief appearance to pay your respects and give support for your friend. Make sure your visit is very brief in that case though.
  • Thanks for the opinions everyone. The wake is right by my mom's workplace so I might call her to see if I can leave LO there for half an hour; they are pretty flexible so hopefully it will work out.
    I guess technically now I should be SecondBabyMomma Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • sS. My DD has been to two funerals and wakes, unfortunately when there is a death in the family I lose all my babysitters and she had to come, it was no problem at all.
  • I don't think it's that big of a deal to take your LO. When my grandma passed away, there were several friends-of-friends type people who brought their LOs and none of us cared at all. It was a welcome distraction for us.

11-15-08
    12-1-10
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"