Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Breast refusal

My DD is 5 days old today. She was about 13 days early so she only weighed in at 5lbs 12 oz. When she began to nurse she only nursed from my left breast because my right nipple is flat and she could never get a good latch. We had to supplement her feedings with small amounts of formula for a couple of days because she was beginning to lose too much weight. Last night she would not latch onto the breast at all. We were letting her use a low flow nipple when she was supplementing. How can I get her to latch back on. I am currently pumping to keep my milk supply up and am able to get about 1 oz total. I am also staying skin to skin as much as possible.

When I try to offer the breast she turns her head to refuse it and starts screaming at the top of her little lungs. Any advice anyone has would be greatly appreciated. I'm not going to give up on her because I know this can be fixed.  

Re: Breast refusal

• lnickylnicky member
    My only advice is to see a lactation consultant asap. Your doc or hospital should be able to connect you; if not contact the LLL for some help. Good luck and don't give up!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • definitely call a lactation consultant- they are so helpful!  If it's a nipple issue, you may want to try a shield. Keep up the pumping and keep trying to nurse too.  Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I can't offer much advice as I'm going through the same thing. He has refused the breast since day 3 and we are at a month old now. We have tried a shield and it sort of works. He will nurse off it for about 5 minutes and then push away like my boobs scare him again. It is also extremely painful with the shield.

We haven't had any luck so I'm still pumping but I hope someone here offers something else to try. The LC we met with was pretty useless and the LLL meetings around us aren't when I can meet up with them. Good luck to you!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"